Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

A Gentlemans Heat Exchanger-

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A Gentlemans Heat Exchanger-

I say Gentleman because,..this is a $70 thousand dollar car, not no chump kids, dime a dozen (insert your typical whatever piece of **** here) shitbag ride. Therefore,...when I see something, that looks like it belongs on a piece of junk,...on a Cadillac,...a 2009 CTS-V to be specific,..I get a little(nicely put) aggrivated at the thought process of someone actually SELLING this type of thing. This particular issue, 1 of many,....issues of aftermarket ****, that I have installed on this vehicle,..that have been nothing but problems, and nothing short of an embarrasment to me. I have alot of pride in quality of work, work ethic, and simply being a legit business man and a cool, easy going technician that'll give you an HONEST, truthful, real world experience, kind of an answer.

That said,...I would like to know of a VENDOR,..or whoever,..that sells a heat exchanger WITH MOUNTING BRACKETS (stupid idiot).... that actually gets affixed to the vehicle, and doesn't sit on the splash sheild. That ****(splash sheild) WILL NOT HOLD after street driving and the weight of the exchanger with fluid,...hitting normal road bumps-etc. NOTE: WILL NOT HOLD.

So,.... again, nicely, any of you chums know of a company that sells one? I am not going to swap this one out,... we'll have to make some brackets,..mod the car a bit, and make this thing nice and tight. I honestly should have listened to my myself when I was originally installing it,...I opened the box and said,..oops...I am missing parts, and instructions. Call the manfacture,..."nope...it just sits on the splash sheild"

WTF "really..." "yes"....ok.

I don't mean to be a dick,...actually, I repectfully retract that. I ment to be a dick. Only because you know what,...BETTER ME THEN YOU. I didn't spend the money on the SHITTY parts(again, 1 of many issues),...I only spent hours and hours of my time with this thing(I lost money in time),... If I spent the(on my car and got **** bag parts) money,..I'd be boxing everything up and going for a road trip...no doubt.

So. Those of you that do your research before you buy,..before you spend thousands of dollars,.... do yourself a favor and look both ways before you go out and spend your hard earned(or not so hard earned) money. Hell, PM OR EMAIL ME if your having a question or a DOUBT before you buy. I'm in florida bitches,..I ain't trying to charge anyone for info or trying to build your project,... I just don't want somebody to get screwed over by some douche.

sorry guys,..board,..but these parts,....do not belong on a Cadillac. Not any year or make of a Cadillac. These cars deserve more passion, and more precision...not quick (get rich) sale parts and bunk *** mail order tunes.

Again, would love to hear of some of your coolant upgrades and ideas you guys have done. POP-UP Pictures are an appreciated plus since i'm iliterate.Anyways,.. while we are in the cooling conversations,..and we're all feeling ohh sooo cuddley.... have any of you guys swapped out your coolant tanks(heat exchanger coolant resvoir)? If soo,.. vendor? size? or link would be outstanding.

Thanks again fella's..

Cadillac Technician of 8 years and climbing, and I Passionately enjoy what I do. Thanks for the time and your input. I only posted this because they were out of midol at the store.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While my version isn't quite the $70K version, I too am in need/want of a larger coolant/heat exchanger option with more powerful pump (if needed)....or if anyone has a better way to get rid of the bloody high IAT's. I am aware of a vendor who is currently making a better, cheaper version of a larger HEX that was just offered to the new V's....I'm not at liberty to share more info than that, but it does sound promising to say the least.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

What he said^^^^^^^^
Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I am not sure how viable it is on the CTS-V2, but for the LSJ to improvement to charge cooling wasn't a bigger HEX or more fluid capacity. It was modifying the intake charge cooler from single pass to dual pass that gave us extra cooling.

We had 4 laminova cores in the charge cooler that was run in series, so fluid would go in one core, pass through all 4 cores and exit the 4th core. The change was to go to running the cooling cores in 2 parallel paths. The coolant would run in two cores simultaneously, exit two cores back to the HEX.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember this $70k vehicle will be $20k something before you know it and then the kids will be buying them and hacking on 'em I understand that part of your thread, but not sure of the rest, lol.

I have not seen too many "vendors" that impress me a whole lot with their craftsmanship to value range [not talking cheap; even the $$$ stuff], although I am particular and yes do mine own stuff (I don't mean bolt things on, lol). There are some out there, I'm sure, but overall many are resellers...I am thankful I'm not one who is at the mercy of [some] of those sellers and limited product range. I've been fortunate to have been able to own many different vehicles/platforms and exposure/experience to things that apply, so this one is just another extension of those...sure it's nice (and the V2 also, but personally I like V1 better for some reason), but it's still just a machine and not worth getting overworked about.

Besides, a successful vehicle is in the details, not name brands and big wallet <--yawn
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear that. I know who it is you speak of....

D3 makes a nice one but pricy.

There is a vendor out on the other forum that has something in the works to help with this heat issue but he hasn't released it. PM for details.

I want something too that isn't a POS but I'm still waiting.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Remember this $70k vehicle will be $20k something before you know it and then the kids will be buying them and hacking on 'em I understand that part of your thread, but not sure of the rest, lol.

I have not seen too many "vendors" that impress me a whole lot with their craftsmanship to value range [not talking cheap; even the $$$ stuff], although I am particular and yes do mine own stuff (I don't mean bolt things on, lol). There are some out there, I'm sure, but overall many are resellers...I am thankful I'm not one who is at the mercy of [some] of those sellers and limited product range. I've been fortunate to have been able to own many different vehicles/platforms and exposure/experience to things that apply, so this one is just another extension of those...sure it's nice (and the V2 also, but personally I like V1 better for some reason), but it's still just a machine and not worth getting overworked about.

Besides, a successful vehicle is in the details, not name brands and big wallet <--yawn
U really like the v1 over the V2?

Man that's odd. I'm all about the V2!!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the V1 better also. I don't know why. Maybe the V2 is too refined for me. Lol
Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deedubb
more powerful pump (if needed)...
The coolant flow rate is set to the system to allow the most heat to be pulled out of the air charge . Putting in a big pump that flows more won't necessarily help. Some of the cooling cores I have used have choke points to slow down the flow of coolant.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domsz06

Yeah, guess I am odd lol, seriously though, other than the LSA, I am not super attracted to the V2, as it's much more plump and too gimmicky in some ways (like the now-exaggerated grillwork and so on). Hard to explain. The same could be said about the V1 though with the engine and if it did not have it, etc...

I do not like the interior of the V2 other than the seats, although to be honest I also have not sat and driven in one, so maybe I'd be changed if I did, but I do know some parts of it would be ugh to me...maybe I agree with 07 as far as they tried to refine it too much and make it a psuedoluxury car. Nothing wrong with a luxury Cadillac, but one thing I like about the V1 is it's not showing off and subtle; the details are what I appreciate and not some flashy thing. Not saying the V2 is flashy, per se, but hopefully you understand what I mean...I wouldn't drive (own) a BMW or Mercedes for myself either though; they do nothing for me and anything worth its while (i.e. higher AMG /M series) is way overpriced and a maintenance nightmare ($$$) waiting to happen. Never thought I'd own a Caddy either, but they are classy cars and 90-something percent of the models still look good today (not including the cimarron and such, ha ha); plus they are american vehicles and not overpriced/hyped kraut

Don't get me wrong, I would drive and own a V2 , just wouldn't pay extra for it and given the choice between the two (let's make it fair and add a S/C to the V1), I'd take a V1...I know, go figure. PS - I know there are other improvements and enhancements beyond the engine; just saying...The V1 is a great performer out of the box for me (remember this is a DD); it accelerates around/hair better than my GTO did, comes in manual also and will run circles in the handling/braking dept. on what my GTO was...So I'm good to go I'll leave the supercar performance to one of my other cars!

Last edited by JNR_Design; 09-08-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok man, well, which part don't you understand? I'd be glad to clarify.

As far as vendors that impress me,..or products? I have had both aspects satsified for years,..I haven't had an issue with any of our past parts installed on ANY vehicles. Any. Except one bad motor, from a vendor,..but again, the customer was us, not a dealership customer. So, the point is, we have cars with as little as 3miles on the clock, wanting mods,.. The cars, or trucks, once modded, need to resemble a factory LIKE life,..and or look of some sort,...atleast in quaility, that of which I feel should be better and ABOVE FACTORY quailty. Non of the parts from this place, are parts that we will ever sell or install again,.. Thats the first time I have had to say that.

Pretty lame.

You like the V1 better?.... respectfully speaking sir, your blind. The V2 surpasses the V1,...in every aspect of the possability. Sorry if that hurts feelings....but the two cars,..and completely different. Night vs day of a difference.

Sorry to hear that. I know who it is you speak of....

D3 makes a nice one but pricy.

There is a vendor out on the other forum that has something in the works to help with this heat issue but he hasn't released it. PM for details.

I want something too that isn't a POS but I'm still waiting.

Yeah man. You know who I am talking about. To be honest,...working with STS-V and XLR-Vs I have also installed D3 products,...I was very dissapointed in there welds on the intakes tubes for the 100,000 cadillacs. Again,..some things should be more refined. Not sure how there LATEST products are,...I know they're still expensive.

I want I guess more of a KIT but,..it looks as if I may just buy something myself and just do it myself. I guess if you want things done right...

-Couldn't have driven a V2 to say that...

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I like the V1 better also. I don't know why. Maybe the V2 is too refined for me. Lol
Driven the 2nd gen yet?

Yeah, guess I am odd lol, seriously though, other than the LSA, I am not super attracted to the V2, as it's much more plump and too gimmicky in some ways (like the now-exaggerated grillwork and so on). Hard to explain. The same could be said about the V1 though with the engine and if it did not have it, etc...

I do not like the interior of the V2 other than the seats, although to be honest I also have not sat and driven in one, so maybe I'd be changed if I did, but I do know some parts of it would be ugh to me...maybe I agree with 07 as far as they tried to refine it too much and make it a psuedoluxury car. Nothing wrong with a luxury Cadillac, but one thing I like about the V1 is it's not showing off and subtle; the details are what I appreciate and not some flashy thing. Not saying the V2 is flashy, per se, but hopefully you understand what I mean...I wouldn't drive (own) a BMW or Mercedes for myself either though; they do nothing for me and anything worth its while (i.e. higher AMG /M series) is way overpriced and a maintenance nightmare ($$$) waiting to happen. Never thought I'd own a Caddy either, but they are classy cars and 90-something percent of the models still look good today (not including the cimarron and such, ha ha); plus they are american vehicles and not overpriced/hyped kraut

Don't get me wrong, I would drive and own a V2 , just wouldn't pay extra for it and given the choice between the two (let's make it fair and add a S/C to the V1), I'd take a V1...I know, go figure. PS - I know there are other improvements and enhancements beyond the engine; just saying...The V1 is a great performer out of the box for me (remember this is a DD); it accelerates around/hair better than my GTO did, comes in manual also and will run circles in the handling/braking dept. on what my GTO was...So I'm good to go I'll leave the supercar performance to one of my other cars!
-Just go drive the car dude,..we'll accept your apology afterwards.

*disclaimer-I have a great appreciation for the 1st generation CTS-V and alot of love but,...you simply cannot compair the two. It's like a C4 Corvette compaired to a C6.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No need to explain the differences between the two generations of the CTS and V-series, respectively. However, the improvements were not worth spending $40k more for and if that were my goal in life you can bet I would build something to surpass the V2 and for 1/2 the price No doubt it's an awesome machine and sure it would be great to drive one, but for me I'd rather work than buy the thing, if you know what I mean. Maybe in a few years when they drop down I may reconsider, but in the meantime I don't care if it gives me a hand job every time I start it, not gonna pay $70k for a car and lose 1/2 that in a few years, lol...Sure, it costs to play, but I can build something for that money (depreciation) that will be just as if not more fun and not lose much money in the end.

I totally hear ya on the differences, although a more realistic comparison would be C5 to C6.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Back on subject .? .? . but I digress . . V1
~ Has anyone used or thought about spraying carbon-dioxide on the heat exchanger?
That would cool us down, but I would want it to look refined and be easily servicable.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

No need to explain the differences between the two generations of the CTS and V-series, respectively. However, the improvements were not worth spending $40k more for and if that were my goal in life you can bet I would build something to surpass the V2 and for 1/2 the price No doubt it's an awesome machine and sure it would be great to drive one, but for me I'd rather work than buy the thing, if you know what I mean. Maybe in a few years when they drop down I may reconsider, but in the meantime I don't care if it gives me a hand job every time I start it, not gonna pay $70k for a car and lose 1/2 that in a few years, lol...Sure, it costs to play, but I can build something for that money (depreciation) that will be just as if not more fun and not lose much money in the end.

I totally hear ya on the differences, although a more realistic comparison would be C5 to C6.

. . .yeah but, with all due respect, your only saying that because your not able to swing the 70k price tag. believe me, if you or i could afford this car, we would both own one. if i hit the lotto tomorrow, I'd buy a v for every family member. the car, is amazing. I've had the oppertunity to drive some of the worlds most prided exotics. trust me, this car is as good or better. fortunatly I've met some very cool v owners, that have allowed me to live with there cars for a few thousand miles. they've allowed me to drive them aggresivly.. . . trust me, I'm all about budget builds but, it would be hard to duplicate what the stock gen two has. we've surpassed the factory power level with a gen one but, unfortunatly it doesn't have the same platform, or platform capability of what the gen two has. As far as drag launches, come on man. . .you could do a 6500rpm clutch dump on the stock 2nd gen drivetrain. . .try that on your stock gen one.

I've driven both platforms over 170mph, believe me,. . .my comparison was accurate.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL, you obviously don't know me If I wanted it that bad, I'd do it and that's what would occupy my driveway...but, there are more important things in life and while I like to magazine dream too from time to time, building something yourself is better than anything you can buy at a car dealer. Not to mention, much less money (done right and you can make some money ) and in the end, better performance and not something you normally see. Problem is, if I did get one, I'd have to limit myself to one car for myself and then have a payment. why...no thanks. I would like to drive one someday, for sure...Like I said, maybe in a couple years I'll be ready for a newer DD and look at them. In the meantime, I am 100% content with what I have and looking at the two, I actually like the V1's styling and more simplistic, sculpted look...There are a lot of little details and it doesn't *try* as much as the V2 to be seen, if you know what I mean. Not that there is anything wrong with the V2, just illustrating a point...

The CTS-V is great for what it is and I wouldn't put it thru the abuse of making it a drag racer; besides, there are way too many better platforms for that; CTS-V is not ideal in that respect, for many reasons [not that you can't get good times, but if we're talking 10's]...sure it *can* be done, but why unless it's just another toy, so to speak. For me, that's what the Chevelle would be for if that's what I wanted to do )..I can totally appreciate the outstanding performance they gave it and especially with the additional weight. It's a great car and I do like it...But seriously, given a choice, I'd keep what I have, put some money into it and expand onto other projects. I like to come up with solutions, too, so it would be a learning experience overcoming the inherit flaws (which really, aren't that bad for 95% people) What sucks for me though, is I also like 4x4ing too, yikes

Last edited by JNR_Design; 09-08-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

why dont you tell us how you REALLY feel
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL, you obviously don't know me If I wanted it that bad, I'd do it and that's what would occupy my driveway...but, there are more important things in life and while I like to magazine dream too from time to time, building something yourself is better than anything you can buy at a car dealer. Not to mention, much less money (done right and you can make some money ) and in the end, better performance and not something you normally see. Problem is, if I did get one, I'd have to limit myself to one car for myself and then have a payment. why...no thanks. I would like to drive one someday, for sure...Like I said, maybe in a couple years I'll be ready for a newer DD and look at them. In the meantime, I am 100% content with what I have and looking at the two, I actually like the V1's styling and more simplistic, sculpted look...There are a lot of little details and it doesn't *try* as much as the V2 to be seen, if you know what I mean. Not that there is anything wrong with the V2, just illustrating a point...

The CTS-V is great for what it is and I wouldn't put it thru the abuse of making it a drag racer; besides, there are way too many better platforms for that; CTS-V is not ideal in that respect, for many reasons [not that you can't get good times, but if we're talking 10's]...sure it *can* be done, but why unless it's just another toy, so to speak. For me, that's what the Chevelle would be for if that's what I wanted to do )..I can totally appreciate the outstanding performance they gave it and especially with the additional weight. It's a great car and I do like it...But seriously, given a choice, I'd keep what I have, put some money into it and expand onto other projects. I like to come up with solutions, too, so it would be a learning experience overcoming the inherit flaws (which really, aren't that bad for 95% people) What sucks for me though, is I also like 4x4ing too, yikes

fare enough man. i feel you. I'm all about the homemade, handbuilt projects. got a few myself. can't argue with that.

another note, the first turbo ride i drove in was my fathers VR4. cool cars. is yours quick?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't get me wrong, I agree with much of what you say as well and glad you can see where I'm coming from...It would be great if we had the resources to have oh, say 8 or 10 cars all garaged, along with a few projects and off the wall things (like a radial engine powered ____ ) I do like the V2 alot and commend Cadillac for making such a beast! I do wish they didn't make it so plump and some added 'bling' (from V1 let's say), but I could live with the 'shortcomings' with the rest of the package...

Nothing wrong with it for sure, but realistically, I'm tired of losing money on new cars. I've bought many new cars in the past and always had reasonable depreciation (buy at end of year), but my GTO I had was sickening to think how much I lost in ~4.5 years It would make me really sad to buy a $70k car and have it worth half of that in a few years.

Yeah, my VR4 is very quick and a total sleeper...It's not stock (large turbo/IC, cams, exhaust, injectors and so on), yet is done in such a way as to not be flashy. The AWD is nice and it only came in 5-speed, although the clutch (aftermarket) is pretty stiff! Even though I beleive it to be quicker than my CTS-V I haven't taken it to the track. I've since made a series of upgrades and gone thru some of the subtle details so to speak, so I'm shooting for ~375 awhp or so (was at 330 before). Thing weighs about 3,200 so ought to be fun It is a totally different animal though, as when you're in the wrong gear, it is more 4 cylinder mode, but get the boost up to ~22-24 psig and wow!

fwiw, here's a pic of it, although looks better at different angles:

Sorry for taking this thread so far off course
Attached Thumbnails A Gentlemans Heat Exchanger--gvr4-side-sm.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

nice. ours was white as well, although never that modded. How cars loose there value is amazing to me. I'm wanting to buy a home,. so i highly doubt I'll be buying anything new, for a while.

I'd happily buy a used 2nd gen in a few years.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Nice points, JNR, and well said. I feel the exact same way. If I am ever going to "move up", so to speak, to a higher performing/more expensive car than my V1, it sure as hell ain't going to be another heavy luxury sedan. I will buy a used Z06 or wait to see what GM does with the C7 Corvettes. The CTS-Vs (both generations) are fantastic cars and GM accomplished what they set out to do with both of them--to be luxurious, safe, very high performance sedans that have a lot of usability built into them. But, if I didn't have any constraints on my next car, it will be a more dedicated sports/road racing car, which is why the V2 is not the "be all, end all" for me either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Gentlemans Heat Exchanger-