Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Serious oil burning issue....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious oil burning issue....

.....so got the car done several weeks ago........been driving it around with no issues, the other day I noticed my oil pressure was pretty low. So I checked the oil when I got home, and the car was 3 quarts low on oil. I had 500 miles on the setup, and the car runs fine, but obviously has an oil burning issue. The exhaust is just a little whiteish on startup, but thats it. I took off the intake and looked through the throttle body and it is covered from top to bottom in Oil. Now obviously there is a PVC issue, but I have never heard of this much oil consumption caused by PCV any other ideas of how the car could be burning this much oil.

Thanks
Chase
Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Launching!

I got the car done several weeks ago??
What was done and yeah, obviously the PCV MUST be hooked up wrong or else you have serious blow-by.
PCV is accomplished by way of baffling/orifice. You need to get some pictures of proper routing and was anything changed on the valve covers or valley cover?
Your engine is sucking itself dry . . . but you already know that . .
Give us an update
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stepside
I got the car done several weeks ago??
What was done and yeah, obviously the PCV MUST be hooked up wrong or else you have serious blow-by.
PCV is accomplished by way of baffling/orifice. You need to get some pictures of proper routing and was anything changed on the valve covers or valley cover?
Your engine is sucking itself dry . . . but you already know that . .
Give us an update
Well as to what was done, it was just a cam/longtube/intake install, so I dont understand how this was affected so heavily...the shop that I had do it all in the end, is out of town till today, so I haven't actually messed with it, incase something else goes wrong, i dont want them to blame me cause I did something myself. So I am waiting for him to get into town than have him take a look at it, its got to be something with the PCV, so I am just waiting for him
Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

hope everything gets sorted out!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Launching!

OK, good decision. You said intake install. Entire intake or just throttle valve?
The reason I ask, is because the lifter valley cover has a baffling system under it and is incorporated into the PCV. Same with the valve covers. Just some info for you.
Your right. Let them sort it out.
Good luck,
and let us know what happeded when they fix it.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump. i have a very similar issue i just discovered tonight
Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
bump. i have a very similar issue i just discovered tonight
I spoke to the guy that did my parts, and right now, we just put a catch can on there, to see how much oil is going in my system or if it's going in that way.....right now I cant see any going into the catch can, so I dono....I'm just going to be monitoring it for the next few hundred miles to see what happens
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ITSAV
I spoke to the guy that did my parts, and right now, we just put a catch can on there, to see how much oil is going in my system or if it's going in that way.....right now I cant see any going into the catch can, so I dono....I'm just going to be monitoring it for the next few hundred miles to see what happens
My last car would fill that catch can up in about 3 months.
The Magnum had a pro-charger on her.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

I can bet that the installer that did the cam install, screwed up the valve stem seal install. I would pull the valve cover and check if the valve seals have lifted up
Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Does the 'catch can' have a separation between inlet & outlet by way of some sort of baffling or mesh?
If there is not a medium separating the two ports, then the oil vapor will not separate out into - oil - air. Some 'catch cans' are fancy billet aluminum with no means of separating the oil out of the air and will catch little to nothing. I had to modify mine.
Did you get the throttle inlet cleaned before adding the 'catch can'? So, you can see if it stays clean or not.
keep us updated, good luck
Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
I can bet that the installer that did the cam install, screwed up the valve stem seal install. I would pull the valve cover and check if the valve seals have lifted up
If the valve stem seals were bad, the engine would suck oil down the valve stem and into the combustion chamber during deceleration when high vacuum conditions (downshifts) are present. This could lead to spark plug fouling and blue/white smoke out the exhaust when decelerating.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

It could also be as simple as routing the vac lines wrong off the intake maniold. Just double check those and the valley cover. It just started right after the cam and intake work correct?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Josh@PremierAutosports
It could also be as simple as routing the vac lines wrong off the intake maniold. Just double check those and the valley cover. It just started right after the cam and intake work correct?
YUP, exactly.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

I am not sure how you could route the line wrong. I think there is one vent line off the passenger side valve cover and that is it. The rest are all coolant lines if I recall correctly.

They might of dropped the oil pan to do the timing chain, maybe they didn't tighten things up and it's leaking there also ?

If you got single coil springs they probably didn't even need to mess with the valve seals.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Josh@PremierAutosports
ya, it started up right after install....I am leaning towards valvestems as well

I am going to do a leak down test on it this weekend just to check that, but am thinking valve stems.....I have burned 1/2 in about 100 miles so far
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. Sorry to hear that. It should be covering the entire back end of your car if it's burning at that rate.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it leaking anywhere... Front / back of the motor?

Are you sure its actually consuming it?

the 1/2 quart that is gone you found the the catch can? Or you noticed it on the dipstick?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

well did leak down test last night, and it showed great no issues at all there....it was getting late when we finished that, so were going to do a compression check tonight, (which i think will be fine) and if it is, than were going to change the oil from whats in there to a thicker based oil 10-40 or something and see what that does
Old 09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
is it leaking anywhere... Front / back of the motor?

Are you sure its actually consuming it?

the 1/2 quart that is gone you found the the catch can? Or you noticed it on the dipstick?
there are no drips anywhere at all, and I found nothing in the catch can, just looking at the dipstick is where I noticed and both times, I did it in the morning before I went to work, to make sure there was none in the engine
Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Wow. Sorry to hear that. It should be covering the entire back end of your car if it's burning at that rate.
thats whats strange, is it only has very little white smoke and only on cold startup it does it for like the initial puff of exhaust but than its gone, only like a second or so

Quick Reply: Serious oil burning issue....