Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cheap fix for plastic shifter bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap fix for plastic shifter bushings

I was finally fed up with the slop caused by my failing plastic shifter bushings enough to do something about it.

These guys are the culprit,

I just welded the stock metal sleeve in place.

When the bushings get lose it will create a lot of left to right slop in the shifter, not so much front to back.

If I ever wear down the sleeve or bolt and the slop returns, I plan on replacing the whole thing with a new bolt and some bearings. But for now the weld fix was cheap and effective.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Interesting. I had always thought the cause of the slop was the shifter linkage bushings further up on the tranny: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1175342
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Another plus for you is you shortened the shift throws also. I designed some Delrin bushings with much tighter tolerances. Works perfect also.

Deedub - The major contributer is these bushings. The one up at the trans is the next biggest.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Another plus for you is you shortened the shift throws also. I designed some Delrin bushings with much tighter tolerances. Works perfect also.

Deedub - The major contributer is these bushings. The one up at the trans is the next biggest.
I welded the lower piece of pipe on a while ago, the plastic bushings fit inside the lower pipe just like stock. But they continually got looser as time progressed.

I remember you saying something about the delrin bushings, I would have sent you a PM to buy a pair but I didn't remember you screen name.

And I agree, these bushings are the major contributor to slop. But while I have the transmission out being rebuilt I'm going to do the blue electrical bushing mod for the front of the shifter setup.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Once I get my trans out in the next few weeks, I'm going to develop a brass bushing for that end of the linkage.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im right behind you. Dealer replaced mine 4-5 months ago and they are already terrible. Dealer refuses to do it under warranty again... saying the slop is normal.

Makes it a PITA to get it into the gears most of the time! Guess i gotta do something myself.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Im right behind you. Dealer replaced mine 4-5 months ago and they are already terrible. Dealer refuses to do it under warranty again... saying the slop is normal.

Makes it a PITA to get it into the gears most of the time! Guess i gotta do something myself.

Have you replaced the rubber shifter bushings with the Poly shifter bushings from UUC? They make a big difference.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Have you replaced the rubber shifter bushings with the Poly shifter bushings from UUC? They make a big difference.
That's my plan. I didnt think the stock one would wear out so fast... and i figured if they did, the dealer would just replace them again. Wrong on both accounts.

Quick Reply: Cheap fix for plastic shifter bushings