Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LSXr 102 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSXr 102 anyone?

Anyone running the FAST LSXr 102 with a 102 throttle body on a 346 motor? I have a head and cam motor with the FAST LSXr102 but I'm running a LS2 90mm TB. I think it's messed up and I need a new TB. Naturally I would consider the Nick Williams 102. Anyone have this set up on their V? Any driveability issues?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nick just came out with a new revised C6 TB. I say get that and call it a day...

I have a 102LSX with a 90TB, its bothering me as well...but yet to be installed!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
Nick just came out with a new revised C6 TB. I say get that and call it a day...

I have a 102LSX with a 90TB, its bothering me as well...but yet to be installed!
you dont count as a real person adam. and that because you have a volvo.

if i remember correctly, a forum member (maxspeed05v, who just sold his) had this set up. but i cant remember if he ever installed it.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maxspeed sold his BNIB, thats certainly a lot of air flow for a stock cubed motor. Were your heads/cam speced out to be used with the 102?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had it, but never installed it. Sold everything including my v.

But I hear the new c6 style n.w. Tb has all the tunning bugs worked out.

I say do it !

But as far as gains on the 346 there's still a lot of mixed opinions. And diffrent results.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

I heard that the gains are minimal. If I have to buy one why not a 102? Guru tuners tell you that a TB is just an air blade and there is no such thing as to much air.... just not enough air. It's not a carburator. The down side is that you won't gain much if your already getting enough but you don't lose anything. My concern was with throttle modulation and driveability at low speeds.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
I heard that the gains are minimal. If I have to buy one why not a 102? Guru tuners tell you that a TB is just an air blade and there is no such thing as to much air.... just not enough air. It's not a carburator. The down side is that you won't gain much if your already getting enough but you don't lose anything. My concern was with throttle modulation and driveability at low speeds.
i agree with this 100%. and since you have the Katech Create in there now, it can only benefit you.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Personally id pick up a FAST 90/92 and have it ported. Thats just me.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run this set set-up on my forged 347 (click my sig link to see motor build). Only issue i have had is the car has stalled a few times. Apparently the TB is sealing when it becomes hot (sitting in the sun all day at work hot) and is choking the car out. This has only happened 4 times total, but my speed shop said Alvin talked with Nick about this and it is something inherent to the new design and they are going to add a hold to the butterfly and re-tune it.

Hope this helps

- Also, i am running the vengeance racing ported model. After being all said and done with it all, i am curious as to the gains over a 90/90 set-up but if you are already running the LSXr i would say jump on it, they aren't that expensive (mine was the cable version fwiw). I do think if you ever swap to more cubes like im planning, you'll be glad you have it. I am running speed density from a Fast Toys big lid to the TB with no restrictions. I am guilty of the "wanting every drop outta my LS1" syndrome.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 09-28-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added a little more to it.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Is your LS2 TB stock or ported? Are you still having low speed driveability issues? Have your tuner run a data log and see if your sensors are working properly. I had an issue with my IAC (i think it is the Intake air temp?) going crazy causing my idle hunting/low speed driveability issues. Bought a heat soak kit and it seems to be better. Had to take it to the tuner like 2 times to get it 90% there.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Driveability at low speeds now is fine it's just that the rpms will drop to zero while cruising and pushing in the clutch. The bitch is that this is a non repeatable random condition. Justin Meyers from Modern Muscle spend lot's of time trying to correct this and we've come to the conclusion it's a mechanical issue. The car will sit and idle perfect for 3 minutes then all of a sudden it will surge 3 or 4 times then return to idle. Push in the clutch at 40 mph and the engine stalls to zero. Next time do it and it returns to perfect idle speed. Doesn't matter of the engine is warm or cold. So I'm off to finish tweaking the fuel system on my Katech build. 42# injectors, billet fuel rails and the 102 on my LSXr intake. I'm hoping this does it.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
I run this set set-up on my forged 347 (click my sig link to see motor build). Only issue i have had is the car has stalled a few times. Apparently the TB is sealing when it becomes hot (sitting in the sun all day at work hot) and is choking the car out. This has only happened 4 times total, but my speed shop said Alvin talked with Nick about this and it is something inherent to the new design and they are going to add a hold to the butterfly and re-tune it.

Hope this helps

- Also, i am running the vengeance racing ported model. After being all said and done with it all, i am curious as to the gains over a 90/90 set-up but if you are already running the LSXr i would say jump on it, they aren't that expensive (mine was the cable version fwiw). I do think if you ever swap to more cubes like im planning, you'll be glad you have it. I am running speed density from a Fast Toys big lid to the TB with no restrictions. I am guilty of the "wanting every drop outta my LS1" syndrome.
Thanks that helped. You have a great build. Nice and stout. I have Katech stage II heads, Katech blue printed pump, Katech C5R chain, PSI springs with Trend pushrods, Kooks 1.75, and a very mild GM hot cam. LSXr102 with a stock 90 DBW TB. I put down 420 on a Mustang dyno. I may go forged next like you. I was worried about controlling the air at low speeds which might cause the throttle to be jumpy on a smaller motor. Sounds like you have it figured out.
Nice Z. Tastefully done. Do you track that car (Road Course)?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, FAST doesn't make the 90's anymore, its ALL102...

Colegraham =
Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks that helped. You have a great build. Nice and stout. I have Katech stage II heads, Katech blue printed pump, Katech C5R chain, PSI springs with Trend pushrods, Kooks 1.75, and a very mild GM hot cam. LSXr102 with a stock 90 DBW TB. I put down 420 on a Mustang dyno. I may go forged next like you. I was worried about controlling the air at low speeds which might cause the throttle to be jumpy on a smaller motor. Sounds like you have it figured out.
Nice Z. Tastefully done. Do you track that car (Road Course)?
Throttle response at low speed is fine, any issue very low is a cam issue ie. bucking. I do not know if SD could have fine tuned this better or for worse as far a lowspeed drivablity goes. So you may want to talk to a tuner and see if he can talk to you about it some, i always thought air speed was better vs. the overall amount of air. I could have that backwards so forgive me if i do, don't want to tell you any wrong info.

Katech makes great stuff, and i have began to wonder if the TSP headers are robbing me just a few. To be honest with you, and i'm not familiar with their heads (Katech) but instead of forging your 347 even with 215 heads, i would say put a 402 in their and step up the cam and utilize that top end you have their. Not to mention the gobs of torque you will have.

I want a ctsv BADLY, i think they are the perfect multi-function car. Although i can see you not wanting a huge cam in such a "smooth" ride.

Love the color to BTW, never seen it in person but burgundy is my favorite color, followed by navy blue (go figure)

and my car, is a street only ride. Will make it to the strip someday, and i would LOVE to take it out on a circuit, but their are none around here and for some reason autocross doesn't get me very excited.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
BTW, FAST doesn't make the 90's anymore, its ALL102...

Colegraham =
used 90s and 92 are available everyday. plus you dont have to use different fuel rails.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Driveability at low speeds now is fine it's just that the rpms will drop to zero while cruising and pushing in the clutch. The bitch is that this is a non repeatable random condition. Justin Meyers from Modern Muscle spend lot's of time trying to correct this and we've come to the conclusion it's a mechanical issue. The car will sit and idle perfect for 3 minutes then all of a sudden it will surge 3 or 4 times then return to idle. Push in the clutch at 40 mph and the engine stalls to zero. Next time do it and it returns to perfect idle speed. Doesn't matter of the engine is warm or cold. So I'm off to finish tweaking the fuel system on my Katech build. 42# injectors, billet fuel rails and the 102 on my LSXr intake. I'm hoping this does it.
I feel your pain. I had similar issues like yours for like 3 months trying to fix it. I ended swapping my injectors to the 3800 series=42lbs from Katech (white injectors and good price from Katech), checked my coils to make sure it was always firing, and vacuum leaks ect... Don't know if any of those things helped, but it ruled them out (not my silver bullet). My problem, was incorrect vacuum routings (long story) and the MAF was getting heating soaked and when the fan kicked on, it was idle hunting and running rough. I think my CAI does not seal against the hood anymore since I got the CF Dome hood, so all the hot air from the headers are f-ing up my intake temp. I notice my car runs smoother when it is colder outside. I say get the 102 intake/injectors and see if it fixes it (at least it will look cool), but I think it is still your tune. Every tuner thinks they are the best at it and every tuner tunes the computer differently. I almost bought my own tuning software and was going to figure it out myself, but gave another tuner (same as yours) a chance to fix it, which he fix most of it (It took 3x). Its still not perfect, but good enough for now. You just need to find someone who will find the root cause of your issue. Thats why I say to run a log to see whats causing the idle hunting/stalling (air/fuel/timing/eractic temps), maybe reload new tables in your ECU and start with a fresh tune.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some test results from Katech regarding the LSXR 102 and two different throttle bodies - the stock 90mm and Nick's 102mm.

Also, keep in mind that this test was on an LS7 that was modified, not a 347.

Of particular interest is paragraph 3, which references the 90mm TB. This is directly related to velocity through the TB.

Ask your tuner how much vacuum (kpa) you have at WOT with the 90mm TB to see if it is actually a "choke".

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...t-results.html
Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by den_99_GTX
I feel your pain. I had similar issues like yours for like 3 months trying to fix it. I ended swapping my injectors to the 3800 series=42lbs from Katech (white injectors and good price from Katech), checked my coils to make sure it was always firing, and vacuum leaks ect... Don't know if any of those things helped, but it ruled them out (not my silver bullet). My problem, was incorrect vacuum routings (long story) and the MAF was getting heating soaked and when the fan kicked on, it was idle hunting and running rough. I think my CAI does not seal against the hood anymore since I got the CF Dome hood, so all the hot air from the headers are f-ing up my intake temp. I notice my car runs smoother when it is colder outside. I say get the 102 intake/injectors and see if it fixes it (at least it will look cool), but I think it is still your tune. Every tuner thinks they are the best at it and every tuner tunes the computer differently. I almost bought my own tuning software and was going to figure it out myself, but gave another tuner (same as yours) a chance to fix it, which he fix most of it (It took 3x). Its still not perfect, but good enough for now. You just need to find someone who will find the root cause of your issue. Thats why I say to run a log to see whats causing the idle hunting/stalling (air/fuel/timing/eractic temps), maybe reload new tables in your ECU and start with a fresh tune.
Good to know I'm not the only one. So you worked with Meyers? Tuner spent 3 hours logging the car and reloaded the tune from scratch so I'm feeling good about his efforts so far. The car was not drivable at low speeds before he tuned it. He told me he had a heck of a time with a V in the past but resolved most of it. Must of been you. Maybe my TPS is on the blink since I used a "take-off" TB we scrounged up at Katech trying to save a buck or two. Hard to know the history of that piece other than it looked brand new. If the TPS is on the blink I hear you need a whole new TB anyway. So I'm convinced now that if I have to buy one I might as well get the 102 even if I don't see big gains. It will be there for anything in the future.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scatillac
Here's some test results from Katech regarding the LSXR 102 and two different throttle bodies - the stock 90mm and Nick's 102mm.

Also, keep in mind that this test was on an LS7 that was modified, not a 347.

Of particular interest is paragraph 3, which references the 90mm TB. This is directly related to velocity through the TB.

Ask your tuner how much vacuum (kpa) you have at WOT with the 90mm TB to see if it is actually a "choke".

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...t-results.html
Good stuff. I read this back awhile ago. The drive by wire may be a bit easier to tune now so that's a plus. Bottom line is what Jason said in the post about a bigger cam would probably make more of a difference.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

For those of you that were following this thread, see my latest results here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...02-tb-ls6.html

Quick Reply: LSXr 102 anyone?