Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

RB rear 2-piece brake rotors, anyone interested?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default RB rear 2-piece brake rotors, anyone interested?

I've been speaking with RB about a rear 2-piece rotor option for the first gen V. They're already selling rear 2-piece rotors for the new gen Camaro, and said it wouldn't take much to build then for the first gen V. They'll requested a list of interested parties to determine if it was worth making a production run. PM/email/whatever so I can start getting names together for them.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in buying a set of these possibly next spring. But, they would have to allow for the use of the parking brake in the back. I know, in the past, some other rear brake options have not been able to keep the parking brake usable. This would be a deal breaker for me if they couldn't make that work.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sure they'll have parking brake provisions, or I wouldn't be interested myself.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

What are the benefits of two piece rotors? Less weight?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msgZ28
What are the benefits of two piece rotors? Less weight?
Read this.

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/tw...or_upgrade.asp
http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/tw..._assembly.asp?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Spoke with RB rep yesterday. Rotors are the same, but the hats are a bit different besides the 5/6 lug issue. Racing Brake has requested that someone near them (Fullerton, CA 92831) make a 1st Gen CTS-V available for examination to begin working on the rear rotors and hats. All interested parties nearby please contact RB to get this rolling. They said that just having a stock rear rotor isn't enough to measure everything necessary to build the hats.

In addition, they asked that anyone interested in the GP please post to this thread http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=514. Once they begin working on the project, the GP price will be set and a deposit will have to be sent to RB to lock in the GP price.

The Camaro rear rotor thread is here http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=425. It took RB about a year to bring the rotors from concept to production, so we are actually taking advantage of that year's worth of development and will likely see product much more quickly.

Here is the first set of rear Camaro rotors mounted and a review by the owner http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...39#post2494139. Looks like almost a 6 lb per rotors weight savings. That is HUGE.

Based on the Camaro thread, the discount on preproduction deposits will be between 25-30% off their regular price. In addition, signing up gets additional discounts on their brake pads and accessories.

So if you want a set, even if you think it'd be a little while before you'd buy a set, sign up now as it's likely going to take a few months anyway. Signing up on their forum is easy, just reuse your current username.

Last edited by lubelizard; 10-29-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

I really want to be interested, but after looking through some of the info that you posted and realizing the price of these rotors (even with the GB discount), that is just too expensive for me.

I am sure that they are worth every penny, and I am not saying anything negative about them, but it is really hard to justify those kinds of $$$ on something like this.

If by some miracle I have extra money just sitting around next spring burning a hole in my pocket, I would definitely do this, but if not I will just have to wait and save up the money. No matter what though, I at least hope these rotors get made for our cars so we can all have them as an option in the future.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

I'll keep posting here for updates, so you'll know what's going on.

BTW, anyone who has not posted on the other forum, if you want a set through a GP, please post a response here so I can give them a correct number. Thanks.

7 so far threw in for the GP http://forums.racingbrake.com/showth...p?t=514&page=2

Last edited by lubelizard; 11-02-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Yesterday's list has 8 people on the GP list. We need 2 more to complete the list. RacingBrake is honoring the GP price on the front rotors as well, and may include additional discounts on their pads and accessories.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just find it odd that people would try to 'upgrade' probably one of the best component on the Gen I Vs.
There are many many many worse items that require, and would benefit from upgrades rather than the brakes.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vmapper
I just find it odd that people would try to 'upgrade' probably one of the best component on the Gen I Vs.
There are many many many worse items that require, and would benefit from upgrades rather than the brakes.
Even the best components don't last forever. Track days (if you do many of them) shorten the life of the rotors considerably. 2 piece set ups keep you in the game and save you money because you only replace the rotor ring not the whole rotor. If you never see the track then you might want to think about it (the money). This is not really a cosmetic mod but some guys like top shelf equipment even if they don't use it. You are 100% correct about V1 brakes.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

The RB rotors should last much longer than stock rotors on a car that sees OT duty, in addition to the multiple performance benefits.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
2 piece set ups keep you in the game and save you money because you only replace the rotor ring not the whole rotor.
Not to be a downer, but I have yet to see that actually pan out. I guess if you were using really common circle track rotor rings it might, but that's not the case when you're talking 14" rotor rings. The rotor rings just aren't inexpensive. For the front RB 2-piece rotors, the replacement rings are $263 each. I can use up an awful lot of $80 Centric rotors before the 2-piece option becomes more economical.

I have 2-piece rotors on the front of each of my cars, but I didn't buy them expecting them to save me money. It'll be interesting to see how many days I get out of the RB front rotors on the V.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Not to be a downer, but I have yet to see that actually pan out. I guess if you were using really common circle track rotor rings it might, but that's not the case when you're talking 14" rotor rings. The rotor rings just aren't inexpensive. For the front RB 2-piece rotors, the replacement rings are $263 each. I can use up an awful lot of $80 Centric rotors before the 2-piece option becomes more economical.

I have 2-piece rotors on the front of each of my cars, but I didn't buy them expecting them to save me money. It'll be interesting to see how many days I get out of the RB front rotors on the V.
Actually the kit is probably even more if you get the hardware . My fronts are the UUCs. When they first came out I thought the rings were a bit cheaper than a complete slotted rotor. I was surprised to see the price of the RB ring. If there is anything to their pitch about the race alloy material and heat treating in the rotor ring then maybe from a durability stand point they might be a better value. Then again they may wear like any other rotor but hold up to heat better (warping). We'll have to see I guess. Here is a sales pitch from the web site

"Allows consumers to replace only the rotor ring, while reusing the hat. Although the initial cost of two-piece rotors is higher than one-piece rotors, the lifetime operating cost could be lower."

Notice they said "could" be lower.

Last edited by Big Bu Bu; 11-05-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

I am sure you could score a discounted price from them considering your car is a rolling advertisement. They seem to be considerate to repeat customers when it comes to pricing. I'd like to know how well the rotors hold up to repeated OT duty. I am sure you could contact Bobby Fisher on their forum and ask him.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lubelizard
I am sure you could score a discounted price from them considering your car is a rolling advertisement. They seem to be considerate to repeat customers when it comes to pricing. I'd like to know how well the rotors hold up to repeated OT duty. I am sure you could contact Bobby Fisher on their forum and ask him.
RB makes good stuff. Thanks for putting this together for us.

I like your Avatar. Is that new?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

I saw it on another forum, succinct bible for the car enthusiast.

RB has been good with me concerning price and service, before the rear rotors were an idea.

Last edited by lubelizard; 11-05-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RB rear 2-piece brake rotors, anyone interested?