Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tips on finding a CTS-V project car???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on finding a CTS-V project car???

Havent been on this site since I sold the camaro and now i'm back looking for a CTS-V project.

Just got the itch to get a CTS-V and hoping to find a project. Complete cars seem to be getting a good price still so figured a project would be the way to go.

Ideal would be someone who is upside down on a big hp build and wants to sell minus power. Would also consider light damage.

I do my own engine work and light damage is fine as a buddy does paint/bodywork.

Any thoughts of where to start looking? Didn't see much in the classifieds.

Thanks.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 11-07-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man thats gonna be pretty hard to find. Best bet is to just cruise around on here till someone wants to dump the project car only half done. It's prolly gonna take a while.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Man thats gonna be pretty hard to find. Best bet is to just cruise around on here till someone wants to dump the project car only half done. It's prolly gonna take a while.
this x2

it is very rare that guys will start the V project, and then dump the car.

another good route would be look for a higher mileage 04-05 that you can pick up for are 14-16k. those are starting to pop up all over the place now.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I agree completely. Just figured since this was a performance site maybe someone was burned out of their project or maybe wanted to keep their modded engine for another project.

Basically just looking for some sweat equity. Something I can bring back to life, drive for a couple years and lose minimum. Finding some "deals" out there but nothing outstanding yet. Bunch of salvage cars priced well but I made that mistake once and prefer a clear title. If I could find the right theft recovery I might consider that.

Thinking about it more I'm also considering a C5 vette project. Not as practical but still a reasonable fair weather daily driver.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5 project sounds good. I'm sure their prices have dropped quite a bit in the last year. Same goes for the first gen V.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
I agree completely. Just figured since this was a performance site maybe someone was burned out of their project or maybe wanted to keep their modded engine for another project.

Basically just looking for some sweat equity. Something I can bring back to life, drive for a couple years and lose minimum. Finding some "deals" out there but nothing outstanding yet. Bunch of salvage cars priced well but I made that mistake once and prefer a clear title. If I could find the right theft recovery I might consider that.

Thinking about it more I'm also considering a C5 vette project. Not as practical but still a reasonable fair weather daily driver.
the C5 (maybe a Z) would make an awesome project car. this one you have to throw alot of money just to get it to handle a lot of power. are ceiling on the stock driveline is about 500 to 525, with out the happy gas. a C5Z, you can put minimal money in, and have a car that will run low 11s all day long. most guys get this car because its all the fun of a Vette with a back seat. and some say it will handle better then most vettes.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't get he C5 ZO6, I bet you could find an FRC for about 12k now and that would be the perfect starter.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Funny you mention that as thats exactly what I've been looking at today. What is the draw to an FRC? Is it just the slight design difference or is there other reasons??? I know i'll probably get carried away with the project as I normally do and end up tracking it a bunch so the fixed roof is fine with me. Figured for the street most would want the targa.

Vettes not as practical as a V but wow are there ever some deals, especially if I want a project. A V is absolutely perfect for me right now but just havent found any that are priced right. A C5 is becoming more likely.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The ZO6's didn't start till 01 and they used the FRC's as a starting point. They're lighter and you could only get them with the mn6. They had 3.42's so they get good gas mileage. I was getting 23 in the city and 32 highway with mine. The best part is you don't get the squeak's from the roof. If you're modifying the car it's almost pointless to get the ZO6 since it's only 50hp difference and some sway bars. If you're going to track the car then definitely get the FRC over the targa, much stiffer chassis. If you want the perfect setup get the pfadt coilovers (1500), some decent wheels (only if you get a 99 since the wagon wheels blow) with nice tires, and some LG longtubes (1500) and you'll be a monster at the track.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your gonna do heads cam getting a Z is pretty pointless unless you just like to say you have it. FRCs are not as common as other C5s so your gonna have to get real lucky to gind a high high mileage FRC for 12k.

Quick Reply: Tips on finding a CTS-V project car???