Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Which plugs should I run in my 04 V?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which plugs should I run in my 04 V?

Just as the title says...

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 11-14-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Launching!

If I remember correctly, stock from the factory, the V1's come with Iridium based AC Delco plugs.

Copper: NGK T5(stock gap .35), NGK TR55(.50), or TR6 (.35) (1 Heat Range Colder ideal for FI or Nitrous)

Iridium: NGK TR55IX (.50)
Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, it has AC delco iridium plugs in it now and they def look 112k miles old. Lol

I thought I remembered someone saying iridiums weren't necessary. I don't mind paying for what the car needs though. If iridiums are the way to go, that's what I'll buy. I'm about to go back down to the store in a few mins to pick plugs up though so I gotta decide quick. Lol

Is there any certain part number I need to look for or are all the tr55ix's the same? The ones I was looking at (tr5ix and tr55ix) looked very similar to each other but both had a different 4 digit number below those numbers.

Gap wise, r they pre gapped?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Tr55ix's is what I just bought. I checked them all and they are all pre gapped at .55.

Should I knock them all down to .50 or install them as is???
Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Tr55ix's is what I just bought. I checked them all and they are all pre gapped at .55.

Should I knock them all down to .50 or install them as is???
You can install them as is, I did not gap mine when I installed them over a year ago. If you decide to gap them, be careful to not damage the tip.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks a lot for the help man!! Installed them as is with the pre gap since I was running out of time before work. Unfortunately I ripped 4 of the stock wires apart getting them off so I had to replace those too. I called OReillys and found out they carry ac delco but didn't have my wires in stock. I needed my car running for tonight so I bought the Borg Warners instead. Lifetime warranty on them so I guess should anything happen, I can take them back and swap them out. The guy said that wouldn't be an issue. He says the Borg Warners are good wires though and so far my car is running MUCH better! They look identical to the Delcos other than being grey/black instead of red. The old plugs were nasty looking with a little carbon build up on the prong. Pretty positive they were the original plugs and wires so they had 112k miles on em. Def due for replacement! Lol Idle is much more smooth and throttle response seems to be much better!

Where is the fuel filter at on this thing and how hard is it to change? I'd like to do that too now when I change the oil tomorrow. I picked up a k&n cleaning kit to clean my filter so I'll prob tackle that tomorrow as well.

Feels good getting some needed maintenance done!

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 11-14-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Launching!

The fuel filter is located under the passenger side rear. I haven't changed mine yet but from what I've read, it should be a pretty simple install. Make sure you unscrew the gas cap and start removing the largest main line off the filter slowly and let the fuel leak out until the pressure is relieved.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, ill look for it today when we get it up on the lift. Thanks for the help again!

Has anyone else run another brand of wires on their V other than the stock A/C Delco wires? My car is running great! I was really sketchy on running anything other than the delcos or msd wires but neither were an option for last nights tight situation. So far, the Borg Warners are great as my buddy at OReillys told me they would be. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth going through the labor just to swap them out for delcos or msds or if I should just leave them alone since they have a lifetime replacement warranty anyway and since they seem to be working just fine...

If y'all can't tell... I'm a little **** when it comes to replacing/upgrading parts on the car. I always want to be sure I'm getting the best stuff.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Launching!

I personally went with Taylor Thundervolt 50s, they're heat resistant and have a pretty decent ohm rating.

The Borg Warners should be fine, just make sure they're not touching the coolant lines on the passenger side or exhaust manifolds.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I know they aren't touching the manifolds. The Borg wires were slightly longer than the Delcos but i adjusted them so they weren't touching anything. A couple of the little stock aluminum heat resistant caps were damaged while removing the stock wires so i just left them all off as i didn't have the patience to take the time trying to fix/reinstall them. Im pretty sure they dont make much of a difference anyway and my buddy that was helping me do the swap works at a shop and said they rarely reinstall them as well. Ill have to take another look though to make sure the wires aren't touching the coolant lines. I didn't even think about that.

Taylor wires are good from what i hear. Pretty sure OReillys doesn't carry them though so they would probably need to be ordered. After reading a lot of threads on wire options for the V, common consensus seems to be that stock is just as good as any aftermarket wire due to their short length. I don't really want to bash my hands up again changing the wires for fun so ill just hold on to my receipt and if i ever have any issues or if i swap to headers in the future, ill just pull them and swap them out at that time.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 11-14-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Just moved the passenger side wires around. A couple were touching the cooling lines but now they are clear from everything.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Launching!

I remember when I changed mine out, would have been hell of a lot easier if I had removed the coil packs first. Plus it would have been a good time to clean the dust off the valve covers, always next time.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I removed the packs on mine. Just 5 bolts on each side and the whole coil pack bracket came right off. Made it much easier but the passenger side was still a pain. My valve covers could have used a good cleaning but we didn't have time to do that before I had to be at work. I'll get in there soon though and clean it up.