Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Auto UP window not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto UP window not working

after disconnecting the battery while doing some work, i had some problems. first the font windows wouldnt go up with just a push of a button and the temp guages (both of them) were not working. now after letting it sit over night and driving it all day, the temp guage and pass side window work fine. but the driver side windo will not go up automatically :-( any one have a clue what it might be ? thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Just roll the window all the way down and hold the button for 5 seconds. Then role the window up and hold for 5 seconds. Should work after that.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably not related, but after I pulled [removed] my sunroof relay(?) from the fusebox (see my recent sunroof thread on why), my express up on the driver's side no longer works and I also get a 'service airbag message/light'...

I ought to try that hold down 5 seconds deal though; thanks for the tip...seems everything magical happens after holding something down 5 seconds on this car, lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 AM
8 Second Club

Yep same thing happened to me recently after disconnecting the battery to install headers. It was a surprise when I came up to a toll booth, and it didnt auto roll up. I did the hold the button for 5 seconds trick, and all is good again!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its not a "trick" it is in the manual. Every time you disconnect the battery you have to re-program the auto-up feature. Don't ask me why you WOULDN'T want it though and it isn't already programmed.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Wow thanks guys. Gonna try it as soon as I get back in town
Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info, I will be doing this within a few hours...guessing it needs to be done for both windows?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by plastus85
after disconnecting the battery while doing some work, i had some problems. first the font windows wouldnt go up with just a push of a button and the temp guages (both of them) were not working. now after letting it sit over night and driving it all day, the temp guage and pass side window work fine. but the driver side windo will not go up automatically :-( any one have a clue what it might be ? thanks in advance
I was a little freaked out (and made a post) about my temp gauges not working after the first time I had to disconnect the battery for something. I'm not sure of the reasoning but it takes a few heat cycles for them to start working again.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Believe it or not...The day this was posted mine stopped working, didn't disconnect my battery...Just quit. I tried the trick and it worked, told my wife about the procedure in the car tonight....Her response was "Now who in the HELL came up with something like that", I always appreciate the help and info I'm able to find from other V owners on here.....
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

I always assumed that the BCM needs to learn the difference in motor current between rolling up and stalled (at the top or bottom of travel). Not so arbitrary when you realize this.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevm14
I always assumed that the BCM needs to learn the difference in motor current between rolling up and stalled (at the top or bottom of travel). Not so arbitrary when you realize this.
I believe you only have to "learn" it for the express-up. This is because the car needs to differentiate between all the way up, and, say, crushing some idiot kid's head or arm.

The express down, it has and needs no such detection, so it can go down until the motor load increases. You don't have to "learn" it down.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Right but my point was it is a LEARNED feature, out of importance, like you said. It's not some arbitrary thing you have to do.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right but my point was it is a LEARNED feature, out of importance, like you said. It's not some arbitrary thing you have to do.
Sure, all I meant is it only needs to learn because of the auto-reverse thing that prevents it from killing unattended kids. If it didn't do that, there'd be no reason for it to learn. It would just put the window up until there's a load that indicates it has stopped.

I think we're on the same page. I was just pointing out it's not some goofball quirk of the car, it's the only way it can know the difference between the real stopping point and something obstructing it.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw, guys...mine ended up working again, on its own...Go figure. These new age electronics, I tell ya (now if I can get that stupid service airbag message off; no wonder that button is about white now)
Old 11-25-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

My auto up will stop working once every few months, it always comes back on its own.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Excellent point, I retract my previous statement above about why we have to do this.

Quick Reply: Auto UP window not working