Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My Twin Turbo build, with pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent work so far!

Looking forward to seeing her run.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

The cats are magnaflows spun converters, it's a quirk of mine, I refuse to own a car without cats.
The MAF will be deleted, Mike with G-Force is going to do a SD tune for me. Speaking of G-Force, anyone in the Houston area who needs work done I HIGHLY recommend them, they kept my previous maggie setup running top notch. I have swapped the stock map sensor to a 2bar map. Also I will be using a separated IAT sensor welded into the charge pipe, as described above where I screwed up welding the bung, this is necessary because from the factory the IAT sensor is in the MAF.

I added up the all the parts so far and I'm sitting right at $4,300 for everything, not including the Tig welder, which was another $1,300. I try to do things on the cheap, but I generally don't sacrifice quality to save a few bucks, thats why EVERYTHING is stainless. I could have saved close to $500 just by using mild steel tubing. Ebay turbos would have saved me a grand, Ebay BOV and waste gate's would have saved $4-500. That is until a waste gate sticks and you pop the motor. The intercooler is the only Ebay part on the car, I don't mind using one because there is no moving parts. I pressure tested it and found no leaks.

The car is more or less a toy to me, I paid cash for it, instead of paying a car note I have a set amount of "mod money" to spend every month. So lets move on from the price debates, we all know if driving the cheapest car was the only thing that mattered we would be cruising late 1990's civics.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
Whats your plans on keep the trans temp under control w/ those giant glowing snails on both sides? Small heat shield?
they have a fair amount of clearance from anything "burnable" but I can fab heat shields if needed.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default [b]

Well said! I would rather drive her close to stock until I get done with the car note then go buy a cheap car and mod it! Unless that is the cheap car was my weekend thrash car...

Originally Posted by GulfM3
The car is more or less a toy to me, I paid cash for it, instead of paying a car note I have a set amount of "mod money" to spend every month. So lets move on from the price debates, we all know if driving the cheapest car was the only thing that mattered we would be cruising late 1990's civics.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Well said! I would rather drive her close to stock until I get done with the car note then go buy a cheap car and mod it! Unless that is the cheap car was my weekend thrash car...
aaron, the color of your makes it a weekend trash car, haha.

i must say gulf, this is one of the best threads i have seen on here (right behind the IRS 9 Fab). out-******-standing work. i will let it slide that you (and dom) went to a college that i shall not speak of, haha.

vmapper, please start a thread for you P/C set up so we can see what goes into.

i think the reason thats was keeps must of the F/I mod with maggies, just the shear amount of work that required for the other. but if we can get a little insight, it make make us consider the other F/I set ups more seriously. myself being one of them
Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

oh yeah, forgot you had mentioned the savings on ebay/vs where ya got em.

oh well. Looking good, still looking forward to when you fire her up.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Domz is the Ops brother I believe so i think he would know what hes talking about.
I guess he doesnt...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Domsz06
see below. I'm very aware of what my brother has put into this, and I'm also very aware of what he has paid for a lot of the parts, as I was having a beer with him when he brought the turbos and a lot of other goodies by as he just picked them up.

He has gotten good deals on a lot of this stuff, I don't know if he included the tig or not, hence the question, but adding in my head it could be in there, but again I don't know all of his parts he has bought.

Thanks.
Well, your brother posted his number...
After fabbing a dozen + cars, you get a general idea of pricing, and bargain places. but some figures are just too far fetched like the idea that was brought up earlier...

yes, this is amazing work, it takes talent, time and patience.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Again, my apologies GulfM3 for thread jacking, I leave the table to you and will not respond to any further comments.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just plain awesome. I love it. Well done man.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Domsz06

I wanna ride. we need to take em to the track... (when we are both running )

I second that! We need another V-meet!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

More pics, All that is lacking is the wiring for the oil return pump and the new IAT bung to come in so I can weld it to the upper charge pipe. k

Completed underside shot.

Another underside shot, on the passenger charge pipe i ran out of 2" stainless. So i scrapped several pieces together, It doesn't leak, just looks bad with all the welds.

completed passenger side turbo/waste gate assembly

Ground clearance isn't what I hoped for, 3.5" at its lowest. the only saving grace is the low point is "protected" by the front tires. Speed bumps shouldn't be a problem because the tires will lift the car before the piping hits.

Showing how the tires "protect" the turbo compressors.

The bumper clears fine, I got the pipe right on the first try, dumb luck?

My ghetto, but functional, back purge setup to fill the charge pipes with argon when welding.

If you are just learning to tig weld, like myself, you might think back purging is more of a pain than it is worth. Take my word for it, you NEED to back purge or the inside of the weld turns to ****, called sugaring.

You can see here how I cut the inlets, welded the holes, then reattached them to the rear of the IC tank. Flow is not ideal into the IC, but I didn't have another option.

the other side

If my IAT bung and the threaded oil supply block off plate come in today I'm going to start it tonight. After every thing checks out and there are no oil, coolant or exhaust leaks it's getting loaded up in the car hauler and trucked to the dyno.

I will post more pictures and hopefully a dyno video soon.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

What are you planning to do with your rear diff ? Will our trans hold all that power or will you have to build it up too? Looks great hope everything goes well and you have it on the road soon.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Good god that is going to be a beast. Nice work
Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vmapper
Well, your brother posted his number...
After fabbing a dozen + cars, you get a general idea of pricing, and bargain places. but some figures are just too far fetched like the idea that was brought up earlier...

yes, this is amazing work, it takes talent, time and patience.
yeah he did, and he also said what he could have saved and I got the prices he paid mixed up with what he could have, so the welder could have been in there. This isn't my first rodeo either, nor is it his.

Great work bro.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good and thanks for sharing more pics and such. I like the design, overall...just need to get that filter thing sorted out (did you see my post above? curious if something like that could work here).

Not sure why people are such naysayers on the price, or does it really matter. After doing this stuff for so many years, collecting all sorts of 'stuff' and getting to be able to do most all of it yourself and being wise on your buying of items, I could see this being done for what you say. Personally, I like to see "low dollar" builds, so long as they come out with a quality, non-hacking sort of setup; which yours looks to be, so cool!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

is there a way to go from the wheel wells to your IC?
i think sts does it on the vettes...
re-clock the turbos and then up and over hugging the top of the well.
seems like if that could work then no ground clearance issues.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blackbird
is there a way to go from the wheel wells to your IC?
i think sts does it on the vettes...
re-clock the turbos and then up and over hugging the top of the well.
seems like if that could work then no ground clearance issues.
I did try routing it through the wheel well, but there isn't much room and the tire kept hitting the charge pipe at full lock. If you look at the post Need Mo Powa posted a couple days ago with his cold air intake for the Procharger system you can see just how little room there is.
If the ground clearance becomes an issue and I'm dragging on every bump around town I will try to route the pipe through the wells again. For now I'm just going to test it out as is. My routing is basically the same as Washin's twin turbo V from the other forums. I don't think he had any issues. It goes without saying I don't plan on lowering the car any.

Just had 3 packages arrive with everything I need to finish the build. Unless something goes terribly wrong I'll start it up tonight.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06blackonblackctsv
What are you planning to do with your rear diff ? Will our trans hold all that power or will you have to build it up too? Looks great hope everything goes well and you have it on the road soon.
I'll run the rear diff till she blows. My previous setup was the same heads and cam with a maggie, making just a hair over 500 rwhp. The diff never gave up with that and I don't expect any catastrophic failures with this setup. The diff does whine, bad, so I might replace it just for a quieter ride.

Not worried about the trans at all.

Quick Reply: My Twin Turbo build, with pictures!