Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Custom Axles??

Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Axles??

Anyone have an idea of what custom axles would cost? Im thinking of putting a viper rear in my car. I can do all the fab and installation myself. But im thinking the cost of custom axles might be the prohibiting factor. Working on a budget here.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

IDK about axle cost. What year is the rear? Aren't the Viper rears Dana 44's? I think the early ones really aren't that strong, and the later ones are only marginally better in torque rating than our OE rear on paper.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

dont forget a custom driveshaft too.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wooter
Anyone have an idea of what custom axles would cost? Im thinking of putting a viper rear in my car. I can do all the fab and installation myself. But im thinking the cost of custom axles might be the prohibiting factor. Working on a budget here.
full on costoms wont be done on a budget. i know you can get the gforce axles for 550 a set. and i know chris from gforce can build you a set of full costoms, but they will cost some serious $$$.

so the real question here is, what is your budget?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would call chris at geforce, if anyone can do it, he can. If you are not looking for full race axles, he may be able to make something that works with stock dodge inners and stock caddy outer... might save a little money.

I would seriously consider his 9" conversion though, probably cheaper by the time you figure in all the little parts that you will need to get for the viper d44. (not the fun do it yourself fab) but a more proven solution, with a supplier who will back up what he does.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Teching In

I was hoping to come in under $3000 with a rearend i would never have to touch again. is the consensus that the updated getrag unit with a set of axles would be the way to go?

I have an 04 with the stock unit in it now and she sings!! But im really just in the research stage now so anyones input is appreciated
Old 12-05-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it your 04 has never had the diff replaced, it may be worth looking into a new unit, they made them a lot stronger over the years, still not bulletproof, but stronger, it all depends on how much power you intend to make, and how you drive it. If you can do most of the fab yourself, alternate diffs may be the way to go, but projects like that always seem to take longer and cost a lot more then originally planned.

The next important question you have to ask yourself, is how long you intent to have the car (honestly how long you plan to have the car, none of this i'm keeping it forever...)

It may make sense to just put a new unit in it. I don't see that breaking, but if it did break say 3-4 years from now, and you had to put another one in then, you would still be under your $3000 budget, and that cost would have been spread out over several years.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

We can build custom axles to fit just about anything. We make them in house so we can make just about anything.
Price would really depend on what all you would need.
Give me a call if you want.

Thanks
Chris
316-733-2100

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Axles??