Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New KATECH LS9X clutch kit for CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New KATECH LS9X clutch kit for CTS-V

We have expanded our LS9X clutch line to another model, 2004-2007 CTS-V.

-For 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V
-Twin disk clutch
-Clutch disks and pressure plate from the ZR1
-Aluminum flywheel with 6 bolt pattern for standard LS engines
-Includes flywheel bolts
-Includes pressure plate bolts
-8lbs lighter than the stock Z06 clutch/flywheel assembly
-Flywheel weighs 12.0lbs.
-Drives like a stock ZR1 - stock pedal feel
-Proven to 700rwhp (drag racing) 800rwhp (street)
-800+ ft-lbs torque capacity
-No neutral noise or chattering
-All of the benefits of a twin disk clutch and none of the trade-offs

http://store.katechengines.com/ls9x-...ts-v-p247.aspx
Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wohoo!!! put me down for 1 in the near future, definitely going with this over the monster setup.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...twin-disk.html

Yeah thats me, and you're welcome. You can make checks payable to

Bobby Cook

Thanks

Last edited by raven154; 12-02-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

dam that clutch is jones! idk weather to go for the exedy or this , anyone order one yet.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not trying to say anything bad about anyone......but I recently heard of an Exedy blowing up. The center disc assembly came apart and exploded. Probably a very rare occurance.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll always go with a GM clutch over aftermarket, those are always gonna be hit or miss but u always know what you're gonna get with the oem's. Ask 10 people about a clutch and you'll get 10 different answers.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by smbstyle
wohoo!!! put me down for 1 in the near future, definitely going with this over the monster setup.
Why exactly?...so you can pay $1300 for a clutch that will do the same thing as the Monster for $800. That extra $500 would basically get you a set of the anti-wheelhop axles as well.

For the record, I am not against this new product, I'm sure it is badass. It sure looks that way from the specs. But with that kindof price disrepancy, it would have to be much better (we're talking a 38.5% difference in price).

I have had my Monster Stage 2 setup for about 6 months and 1500 miles now and I love it (it chattered for about the first 1000 miles, now it is smooth as butter). It drives way better than stock, holds the power much better with no slip, the pedal effort is actually less than stock, and it can be modulated better as well.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Why exactly?...so you can pay $1300 for a clutch that will do the same thing as the Monster for $800. That extra $500 would basically get you a set of the anti-wheelhop axles as well.

For the record, I am not against this new product, I'm sure it is badass. It sure looks that way from the specs. But with that kindof price disrepancy, it would have to be much better (we're talking a 38.5% difference in price).

I have had my Monster Stage 2 setup for about 6 months and 1500 miles now and I love it (it chattered for about the first 1000 miles, now it is smooth as butter). It drives way better than stock, holds the power much better with no slip, the pedal effort is actually less than stock, and it can be modulated better as well.
you really have no idea why a twin disk is a better clutch for people who drive their vehicles on the street.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
you really have no idea why a twin disk is a better clutch for people who drive their vehicles on the street.
I don't think that's what he is saying. I think he means that the Monster level 2 offers perfect daily drivability all while holding 525rwhp/rwtq so there is no need to spend the extra on the twin disk.

Monster's twin disk is almost done with street testing and will be released soon. Is the twin disk superior to single, yes, but is it necessary, no. The Monster 2 is only $750, one could take the extra $500 and use it on other mods.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have heard alot of negative things and positive things when it concerns the monster 2 and stage 3. if you daily drive your vehicle you want to have a clutch which would remove the possibility of any negative aspects.

not knocking the monster, but the extra money you spend makes the driving feel of the clutch that much better. no noises, drives just like stock, grabs like no other and can take a beating while revving a 13lb flywheel if i recall what i have. not sure i know of a single that can do that.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

not only that, but its a GM factory piece made to withstand some serious HP. I just like the idea of putting in a manufacturer part versus aftermarket. Not knocking monster, but I'm sure the GM piece has a lot more R&D built into it with less "sacrifices" for someone who DDs the car.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

I've had both the Oz700 and Monster stg3 both of which are considered some of the best single disks available for Ls1 cars and I would never Daily drive either. That being said I dont live in the middle of the country either and city driving makes you notice a stiffer clutch pedal.

Comparing one of these clutches to stock is a stretch I think. I used to be able to drive the Infinitis at the dealer i used to work at. The newer 6sps in those cars use a stiffer clutch with a quick pickup. That was easy to learn. I still feel like I'm learning my monster, which grabs much harder and more abruptly than my oz700 did. I've let co workers who arent car people but drive stick try to drive my cammed car with the monster and they are absolutly floored at how stiff the pedal is and if they get it goin they have to give it gas and slip it a bit or most of the time had the car bucking pretty hard.

So I cant imagine OEM being anywhere near as harsh as anything aftermarket. If my daily was an Ls1, I'm sure this is probably what I'd get.

Just figured I'd give the real scoop from my perspective. My car is a weekend/track car so even if I had to do it again I would keep the stiff clutch to save a few bucks but if it were the same price or close.. forget it I'd go OEM all the way.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i daily my car and also use it for peformance events from time to time. living in bergen county and the traffic in the metro nyc area you learn how crappy a stiff clutch can be day in day out.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
not only that, but its a GM factory piece made to withstand some serious HP. I just like the idea of putting in a manufacturer part versus aftermarket. Not knocking monster, but I'm sure the GM piece has a lot more R&D built into it with less "sacrifices" for someone who DDs the car.
Factory FTW, im still on my stock clutch and its holding my power just fine. With my power id still go LS7 over a monster or any other aftermarket clutch. If i planned on modding further or made more power id love the LS9 twin disc but thats a lot of money.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't really compare the 2, made for different power levels. At your level (and most guys on here), an ls7 clutch setup would be more than enough. And guess what, they cost about the same as the stage 2 monster. Can't compare a clutch being used on a maggied car making 500+ to someone with only headers putting down 350.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

nice. this is the in the plan!!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
Oh, yeah...I've read all the marketing stuff about how "great" twin disc clutches are, but coming from someone who has to budget their mod money (and who also drives my vehicle on the street), I strongly question the difference. Slap a twin disc in my car and I might like it a little more, sure...but probably not almost 40% more.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
You can't really compare the 2, made for different power levels. At your level (and most guys on here), an ls7 clutch setup would be more than enough. And guess what, they cost about the same as the stage 2 monster. Can't compare a clutch being used on a maggied car making 500+ to someone with only headers putting down 350.
You have a point, but I was responding to smbstyle's post, and I wasn't aware that he had a blower or was making serious HP.

I understand that when you get into the 500 rwHP area and higher, you have to spend more money to get a clutch that will hold the power and still be driveable, which a twin disc type clutch is probably one of the only kind of clutches that would fit that bill.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a point, but I was responding to smbstyle's post, and I wasn't aware that he had a blower or was making serious HP.

I understand that when you get into the 500 rwHP area and higher, you have to spend more money to get a clutch that will hold the power and still be driveable, which a twin disc type clutch is probably one of the only kind of clutches that would fit that bill.
I have no idea what kind of power he's making. I hope he doesn't fork over that money unless he does have a blower, or is at least planning on one in the future. That clutch is overkill unless you're around 500rwhp which is about the max of the LS7's.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
I have no idea what kind of power he's making. I hope he doesn't fork over that money unless he does have a blower, or is at least planning on one in the future. That clutch is overkill unless you're around 500rwhp which is about the max of the LS7's.
It really depends on how you drive to not just a magical number. IIRC Smbstyle is bolt ons only and he road races the car. Id still prefer the LS7 over a monster stage 2 but its personal preference because ive had good luck with factory stuff.

Quick Reply: New KATECH LS9X clutch kit for CTS-V