Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Engine removal questions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine removal questions??

I need to pull the motor/trans from an 04 cts-v. I read up on it and I am use to old school stuff for eng R&R etc.
However this drop out the bottom way is new to me. I dont have a lift in my garage and was wonder how far in the air do you need to jack the nose up to clear the engine?
Any other tricks to pulling a motor installed this way would be appreciated.
Thanks
BobH
Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

You can pull the engine out the top. I did. I pulled the trans then decided to pull the engine but it all went back in as one piece.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going out the bottom would seem insurmountable without a lift.

Raven154 knows what he's talking about. I'd follow his advice any day.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also pulled mine out the top. I removed the transmission then pulled it out the top. You don't even have to remove the good to get it out.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see why you couldn't pull it out the top? It would be damn near impossible to pull it from the bottom without a lift, at least not safely enough for me to attempt.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Also, just disconnect the a/c compressor from it's bracket and remove the bracket with the motor. That way you dint have to purge/refill the system.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would seem way easier to support the subframe and lift the car off the engine. If you have a buddy with a lift or a garage, this would definitely be the way to go.

You can probably accomplish this with a heavy duty hoist too. Something to think about.

Take off the bumper, hood, and fenders and put them somewhere safe before you start!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Why would you take off the bumper, hood and fenders??? That's all unnecessary.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't want them getting beat up from leaning on them or things falling on them.

Just a personal thing I guess. If I'm going to take the motor out of something and do work in the engine compartment, I'm going to make it as easy as possible to work on it rather than constantly having to work around and worry about nice shiny painted things. Changing spark plugs is one thing, but if the motor is coming out I think thats a big enough commitment to remove some body panels to make life easier.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

I see. A good set of fender covers and about $30 worth of thick felt material from the craft store worked for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH
I dont have a lift in my garage and was wonder how far in the air do you need to jack the nose up to clear the engine?
I just left mine up on the stands (both ends in the air, with the car level) with the transmission on the jack. It's probably about a 40* angle required on the engine in order for it to come out. Just to be on the safe side (and avoid to avoid ), I removed the radiator and a/c condenser.

Originally Posted by BobH
Any other tricks to pulling a motor installed this way would be appreciated. Thanks. BobH
Also, you don't need to remove the hood. Remove the hood hydraulic cylinder and brace it in the vertical position with a rubber-tipped prop rod.

During removal, leave the bellhousing on the transmission so you'll have more firewall and cowl clearance.

Drive in to drive out time for the complete swap (engine, headers and cat-back) and associated detailing (heat shielding around wiring, etc.) was about 29 1/2 hours for me, but I tend to take my time, clear the shop of derelicts and lay off the suds until done.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I did my 95 Z28 out the bottom without a lift. It was way easier. I followed a how to I found on Car Domain.

I put the car on jack stands, disconnected the brake lines, fuel lines, drive shaft and accessories, etc. Then loosened the undercarriage bolts.

I but the back of the car up as high as I could (with tires on) on crates.
Put the front of the car back down on the ground removed the undercarriage bolts, then unsed the lift to pull the car off the motor.

It was way easier, with my Camaro.

Found this link. Very similar to what I did.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

Last edited by branland; 12-14-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Launching!

You think it's going to be harder, but once you take one out the bottom. (from a car that was designed to be taken out the bottom) You'll never take it out form the top again.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

I really appreciate all the information, always use more
Thanks
BobH
Old 12-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Launching!

did you guys pull the whole trans out as one unit or the bellhousing only and the remainder later?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

I pulled the trans minus the bellhousing. I left it bolted to the engine and pulled it off while it was hanging from the hoist.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Just pull it from the top.
Attached Thumbnails Engine removal questions??-dsc01525.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just didnt mine 2 days ago, out the bottom (00 Trans AM)...

Name:  CIMG0127.jpg
Views: 3481
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  CIMG0126.jpg
Views: 3699
Size:  81.0 KB

Put the rear up. Then get 2 jackstands under the k member (but far enough apart to get a jack inbetween) and a trans jack under the trans (or a jack stand). The only extra step is the 2 front brakes have to be disconnected to pull out the kmember and the abs connections that mount by the wheels.

- Remove starter and alt
- The AC can just hang down w/out having to open the system. Just take it off the motor
- Remove everything off the top of the trans (shifter)

Then undo the bolts on the top for the struts, and the ones through the k member. Then jack the front of the car up, while the motor w/ headers and trans stay down. Use large jack stands to hold up the body. One jack on each side speeds up the process.

Then I bought 2 wooden square rollers from Harbor freight ($10 bucks each, able to hold 1 ton each)... id get a third if you dont have a transmission jack. Jack the motor and trans down onto the rollers, and you can move everything out from under the car.

Great time to service the trans, check out the clutch... etc. Thats why i love doing it this way. As the tran and motor can then be seperated and they are on their own rollers. Just make sure the motor is balance when you seperate them... might need to put the jack under if its not. I usually spend more time cleaning the engine bay then anything else. As your never going to have an easier time to do it! lol

I did it all by myself, so honestly its not difficult. Just gotta be careful. Be smart... take your time jacking. Think about there your jackstands are going... and where you are going to want the motor to go.

First time I removed the motor it was with a lift, so i was dreading doing it on the ground. Put it off for the longest time. I honestly believe it was easier this time, more because i was familiar with what needed to be done, then anything else. The hardest part is getting the wiring harness disconnected... w/out forgetting anything.

Good luck!

Last edited by xxrillixx; 12-18-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xxrillixx

First time I removed the motor it was with a lift, so i was dreading doing it on the ground. Put it off for the longest time. I honestly believe it was easier this time, more because i was familiar with what needed to be done, then anything else. The hardest part is getting the wiring harness disconnected... w/out forgetting anything.

Good luck!
I struggled with the thought of taking it out the bottom, because I had taken so many motors out the top. I did my Mustang 5 times and the Camaro's I've owned out the top several times.

It's easier out the bottom. You won't regret it.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is this thing out yet?!?! haha!

Quick Reply: Engine removal questions??