Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine mounts?

So I had the V in the dealership for the 50k service, and they said the left engine mount was bad. How do I check this for myself? If it does need replacing, how hard is it to change and how do I go about it? I looked on alldata or whatever and they had nothing, and there is no Haynes manual for a V (according to my wife and Autozone).
Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for coffee colored stains on the trans pan or anywhere in that area, they are liquid fileld so if its shot it should be leaking.

I havent changed mine but i heard its somewhat of a pain in the *** to get to some of the bolts.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Well, damn. Last time I had it up, I'm pretty sure I saw yellow-brown drip like stains down there. Anyone know how hard it is to change them? I have access to a lift and tools for another week.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

When my passenger side was bad, I had the coffee stains, and I could see the engine move a bunch with a light clutch pop in reverse with the hood open. It also shook and rattled a little more than normal when I turned the car off.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...tormounts.html
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
When my passenger side was bad, I had the coffee stains, and I could see the engine move a bunch with a light clutch pop in reverse with the hood open. It also shook and rattled a little more than normal when I turned the car off.
As the link posted below shows...You can do it yourself...and apparently in your driveway. If you read my comments on this, I was super impressed that he was able to do it without a lift. I did help out when I had mine changed....Did it on a Sunday when the garage was closed....Just had to remove more parts than I expected to get to it. Getting the flattened out ones out wasn't the issue, for us it was getting the new ones back on since they were almost double the height since they weren't "squeezed out". All I can say is BEST OF LUCK and you definitely wanna make a beer run before you get started.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Yep did it in the driveway following two videos on youtube! The video was made by a employee of creative steel showing how to install there mounts. It took me about 6 hrs and I took my time.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Coffee Stain...yummy

What the mounts looked like...

Mine had had 33322 on them when they took their dump. i did not install them myself, because at the time i didnt feel like it. like D said, it is fairly straight forward and simple. if you know your way around a car (and judging by your sig, you do) it can me done easily.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Just had mine replaced under warranty...not sure which ones. It made a significant difference in response and performance. This is now my 2nd time in 2 1/2 years having engine mounts replaced. I plan on replacing them with CS mounts the next time, once off of warranty.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

How else would you know the mounts are bad?

I can hear the engine stop when I'm slamming gears.

The dealer replace my mounts back in 07 with 33k on the car. I got the car in 2010 with 50k
Old 12-16-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stone17
How else would you know the mounts are bad?

I can hear the engine stop when I'm slamming gears.

The dealer replace my mounts back in 07 with 33k on the car. I got the car in 2010 with 50k
The way I knew wasn't as much of the "dieseling" at shutdown, like most people say. In mine, I had a [B]HARD SLAMMING[B] when I shifted hard. It was like the engine would slam against the frame or mount when I would press the clutch and then it would "yank" against the mount when I would torque back on it after shifting. This was due to the mount being blown out and having 1-2" of slack in a mount that is supposed to be somewhat rigid. I have the stockers back in mine now, and have some VERY spirited launches and driving on them....But I will go back with a set of CS ones once I blow these.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

EDIT: After utilizing the search function, I have ordered some mounts. Thanks guys.

Also, sorry for somehow missing a thread that was only two days old answering my exact question.

Last edited by msgZ28; 12-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine mounts?