Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Junk in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Junk in the trunk

I now have a full sized spare in the trunk of my V.

I'm starting to drive further distances for "pleasure" and feel a little nervous.

Bought a scuffed wheel and decent tire from a user and used a scissor jack I had on the shelf from an old Camaro race car.

Had to redrill a couple holes to make the jack sit flat and square inside the wheel.

The only issue is the upper deck doesn't sit down flat like it did without a tire. It's raised about 1/2".
Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines the same way. I have a full size wheel with an old runflat so even if it goes flat I'll still be able to run on it for a few miles.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Launching!

I just picked up a spare wheel/tire as well, along with a factory-type jack.

Did you guys just toss it in the tub under the carpet? I thought I read the tub needed to be replaced or something - not sure?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead

Did you guys just toss it in the tub under the carpet? I thought I read the tub needed to be replaced or something - not sure?
You absolutely have to pull out the plastic "junk" tub that's in there. It is divided in half for one. To remove that, you have to pry out one of those stupid lockwasher things that slides on easy but won't slide off without a lot of cursing.

You also have to put the wheel/tire in face down or the lid won't even come close to fitting on.

I found the clearance very tight with an 8" wide wheel and 225 tire. A 8.5" wheel with a 245 will probably stick up slightly. I don't think there's any way around that, the well is designed for a compact spare.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead

Yes, the divided tub came out.

I placed 3 hand towels in a tringle pattern folded double down in the bottom and the tire rests on them. That's to keep the rubber against metal squeek to a minimum.

I place the tire in the well.

I took 2 more hand towels cut a small hole in the middle and fed the stud through the hole in the towels and placed the jack on top of those towels to minimize metal to metal rattle.

I rolled up some tyvec cover-alls and a pair of cotton work gloved in the between the jack sides and wheel.

Finally, I raised the jack slightly so that I didn't have a thousand threads to make cinch the whole combo together. Also, it shortened the width of the fully collapsed jack so that it fit inside the wheel and squared up the stud.

Then placed the cover over the top.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

OK. Honestly, when I first bought the car back in June I took a very quick look under the carpet and saw there was no spare, then I covered it back up and haven't looked again since.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

I had to take the back trim panel off that covers the latch to get the tub out easier. They did use some glue, on the tub, to keep it from making noise. Those little washers are a PAIN. I too used a used run-flat with just enough tread left and placed it face down. My cover seems to fit on with no gap. I still need to get the jack. D'OH. Remember to get a lug wrench too. I found a neat folding one at the parts store. It fits nicely inside the wheel. Now to find a use for the tub.

Quick Reply: Junk in the trunk