Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Spare tire (what a PITA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire (what a PITA)

So I got a tire mounted on the Mille Miglia wheel I picked up. I went with a 225/50-18 Eagle LS2. Mainly because the LS2 was the cheapest tire in that size.

It's nice to have a full-size spare with lots of tread, but honestly it would fit better if some tread were shaved off! You have to stick it in perfectly straight or it won't go down in the well. And you have to shove it a bit to get it to seat on the bottom.

It does fit in the trunk well fine (barely). The lid is flush everywhere except right at the edge by the opening. There it sits up just slightly.

I used a jack kit I have from a 2nd gen CTS. I bought that to use the wheel/tire on my '90 Corvette, and didn't need the jack and whatnot. I had to cut up the foam tray that all the stuff mounts in, because it's designed to sit at the bottom of the well, and have a compact spare sit on top. But I needed to jam it into the barrel of the wheel. It fits after a lot of cutting, and repositioning how the jack sits in it.

The only problem now is that the tire wrench included is for 22mm lug nuts. So I will have to craft some kind of adapter, maybe weld a 22mm lug nut to a 19mm deep socket or something?

These stupid 6-lugs are a royal pain in the ***. If we had normal 5 lugs, then we could just use the V2 spare kit and be done with it. I guess the fact that GM didn't want to go to the hassle of designing a spare should be telling. It's because it's a freaking pain.
Attached Thumbnails Spare tire (what a PITA)-spare1.jpg   Spare tire (what a PITA)-spare2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read once on one of the forums where someone was having the same problem about it barely fitting in the hole with the new tire they had bought. Said they waited till it was new tire time, used the best of the worn ones for the spare and the new one they had bought +3 just like it. It REALLY SUCKSthat these came without a spare.

Quick Reply: Spare tire (what a PITA)