Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Pacesetter long tube install !!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter long tube install !!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

Now that i have your attention....

I was at a buddies house last night after work and we randomly decided to put my pacesetter long tubes on....

May I caution you not to buy these if you want a smooth, seamless, stress free install!!! These took us 4 hours to install. The manifolds slid out easily from the bottom, and the pacesetter went right back up the same way. You need to disconnect the sterring limkage tho...Honestly, the plugs and wires were worse, which also got replaced. We re-used the OEM gaskets and hardware, everything is fine. There is plenty of clearance around everything. You deffinatley need to use extensions, the shortest ones available will work fine.

Next up is the custom EPS cam, patriot gold duals and a tune.....
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

hmm. Doesn't sound like there was any issues in the install?? I believe you have to disconnect the steering linkage in every brand of header install (pacesetter, OBNX, Kooks).

My install was smooth, seamless, and stress free and I just followed the instructions and there was no need to dent a primary like the other brands. I also got away without extensions like many others and although it took some pulling to get them on, once connected there is some slight slack in the connection. (I still have a rattle located somewhere, however, but it may be related to the clutch install.)

Also, as far as the plugs/wires...the first time did suck. I struggled with them when I did the supercharger install. But the second time for the headers went very quickly and easily (maybe I just knew what tools to use or maybe the boots aren't as tight after breaking them free the first time?)
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nlpy8b
I believe you have to disconnect the steering linkage in every brand of header install (pacesetter, OBNX, Kooks).
Yep, I had to with my Kooks.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

now your just scaring me..... lol
im about to put mine in, in the next couple of days... when it warms up, down here in texas.... any other things that i should look out for that have not been mentioned
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have removed/installed my B&B headers several times and have not needed to disconnect the steering linkage.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Add Katech to the list of ones that need the steering linkage disconnected.

The steering linkage is very easy to disconnect and reconnect. It sounds like the install went fine. I bet if you had to do it again, it would be a LOT faster.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

yeah well thats usually the case one everything.... i plan on going by the install posted on Cadillac faq.... http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ers/index.html
Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I have removed/installed my B&B headers several times and have not needed to disconnect the steering linkage.
Same, even with wrap on them. (not that the one bolts hard to remove)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was soooo much easier than I anticipated.... Yes I think if the plugs were replaced at some point it would have been better. These things were baked on, I basically destroyed them pulling them off. One thing I just remembered, I had to grind down the dip stick tube mount, the header flange was too tall for it to mount correctly, ground it down a little and it fit just fine. All in all, I feel really good about my low budget piece of crap, sub par headers lol
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FRiCK
All in all, I feel really good about my low budget piece of crap, sub par headers lol
So when they rot out in a couple years you'll know how to do it again
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

how long you think they will hold up for if they are wrapped
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

All in all, I feel really good about my low budget piece of crap, sub par headers lol
lol thats exactly what i thought but you really cant beat $250
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The steering linkage is the least of my worries, it was 2 bolts and 2 minutes of my time lol

Last edited by FRiCK; 01-12-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by atoler27
lol thats exactly what i thought but you really cant beat $250
I splurged on the ceramic coated ones, $420 to my door.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tommycompton
So when they rot out in a couple years you'll know how to do it again
Yes, when the harsh California weather rots the ceramic coated steel away, yes, you are correct sir....
Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious if you've done a header install on another vehicle, for reference? Reason I ask is most chassis' that have V8's and "long tube" headers are a PITA and time consuming. I invite you to put my chevelle headers in if you want a real headache

Personally, I would've bought new gaskets, as once they are tightened on, they develop a flattened pattern from the previous flange, etc. and will not work as well the next time around, with something different. You may be alright here, but in the future, it'd be a godo idea, as nothing worse than getting leaks and other wierd issues down the road after all that work.

Good you got them in it sounds like though!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

....I had to grind down the dip stick tube mount, the header flange was too tall for it to mount correctly, ground it down a little and it fit just fine....
Yeah, forgot about having to do that.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Just curious if you've done a header install on another vehicle, for reference? Reason I ask is most chassis' that have V8's and "long tube" headers are a PITA and time consuming. I invite you to put my chevelle headers in if you want a real headache

Personally, I would've bought new gaskets, as once they are tightened on, they develop a flattened pattern from the previous flange, etc. and will not work as well the next time around, with something different. You may be alright here, but in the future, it'd be a godo idea, as nothing worse than getting leaks and other wierd issues down the road after all that work.

Good you got them in it sounds like though!

Gobbs of fox body's... I've also had a H/C/I 95 GT, which was tighter than the fox bay, and the worst my built motor with a D1SC 01' Cobra.... You have to pull the K member on those. So this was a breeze to me....
Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's done guys. Sounds pretty good.... I put the dual in/dual out X on it, but it's too deep. I'm thinking about putting the X merge back in right after the muffler, I want that X pipe rasp back, not a deep gargaly tone....

Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

It's done guys. Sounds pretty good.... I put the dual in/dual out X on it, but it's too deep. I'm thinking about putting the X merge back in right after the muffler, I want that X pipe rasp back, not a deep gargaly tone....

Hey can you take a sound clip before you change? Id like more of a deep tone rather than rasp!

Quick Reply: Pacesetter long tube install !!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!