Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Exhaust question... Anyone heard this setup??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust question... Anyone heard this setup??

I currently have stock manifolds, stock cats, resonator delete with magnaflow x pipe in place and muffler delete with magnaflow 4" tips. Sounds great! Not too loud but loud enough and it's nice and throaty!

Just bought some kooks 1-3/4 long tubes with catted connector pipes. I'm curious to know what my setup will sound like with the kooks and kooks high flow cats with just the x pipe with no resonator or mufflers?

I searched clips online but couldn't find any of this exact setup. Anyone tried it? I wouldn't imagine it would be too much different than what I have now with just the stock cats and nothing else. In the future, I plan to switch to Offroad connectors and weld back in some small magnaflow mufflers or something to keep it tolerable. Only keeping it catted until I cam it and tune it so I can get the rear o2's turned off.

Should it sound good with just the kooks and high flow cats or will I want some sort of resonator or small muffler even with that? Keep in mind... I like loud... Lol
Old 06-18-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Only keeping it catted until I cam it and tune it so I can get the rear o2's turned off.
Just an FLY your Check Engine Light is still going to come one with the High Flow cats.
I talked to the guy at ARD and he said $75 to turn the light off.

Call up G-force in Pearland TX. I think they will do the same thing.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

What do they do, just turn off the rear o2's without tuning it? If that's the case, maybe I should just go the catless route then...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do they do, just turn off the rear o2's without tuning it? If that's the case, maybe I should just go the catless route then...
After getting my car tuned at ARD.
The engine light came one 3 days later for rear 02's (PA201?). Call up ARD he said come in and he will uncheck the code so it will not set the Check Engine Light on.
I think the rear o2's are still on. Just tells the computer not to check for that code.

Last edited by Stone17; 06-18-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh I see. My main concern was the car running bad by reading too much crap is going through the exhaust causing the computer to dump more fuel or lean it out to balance the exhaust. That's why I was told a tune with no cats is needed but if that can be solved by doing what you're talking about, I'll just sell these catted connectors and run catless and do that. I mean is there really any advantage to the high-flow cats over catless?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I see. My main concern was the car running bad by reading too much crap is going through the exhaust causing the computer to dump more fuel or lean it out to balance the exhaust. That's why I was told a tune with no cats is needed but if that can be solved by doing what you're talking about, I'll just sell these catted connectors and run catless and do that. I mean is there really any advantage to the high-flow cats over catless?
If your going Cat less get a tune. The guy at work has no cats and no tune in his GTO.
His car shoots out black smokes when he goes WOT and smell like a lawn mower. He had to replace his 02's that where only 8 months old because they were burnt out.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... That doesn't sound good. Lol I plan to tune it anyway but it's typically $400-$500 for a tune so I figured I'd wait until I cam it to tune it. With high flow cats, I should be able to get away with not tuning it and just turning the rear o2's off right?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Launching!

I currently have stock manifolds, stock cats, resonator delete with magnaflow x pipe in place and muffler delete with magnaflow 4" tips. Sounds great! Not too loud but loud enough and it's nice and throaty!

Do you have a video?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't but I might be able to get one before I install the kooks. Should be some videos of this exact setup on YouTube. I just couldn't find any clips with the kooks and high flow cats.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Neversatisfied, see if the tuner would give you a discount on a retune. When I got my car tuned, I had to pay 100 bucks for hp tuners credits, and if the credits are already up to your shop, then you may save.

Headers and tune is beyond huge in this car.

Oh, and when I got my car tuned, he edited the rear o2 readings and turned off the CEL.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Well hell, I may just have to tune it then. I'm pretty sure the shops around here charge $400-$500 the first time and then it's $100 everytime after. Guess I could always suck it up and just pay for the tune which will cure my CEL issues too. Then I'll just save for my cam setup and when I swap it in and I'm prepared for the re-tune, I'll buy the catless connectors and mufflers I want and ditch the cats unless I'm thrilled with how it sounds with just the high flows on there and the x-pipe. Should just those high-flow kooks cats and the X pipe give me enough backpressure or will that hurt my performance?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha, your current setup is what mine sounds like with the cutouts open. Can't stand the drone on the hwy, so I'm glad I can close it. The same thing with headers should be nasty.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well hell, I may just have to tune it then. I'm pretty sure the shops around here charge $400-$500 the first time and then it's $100 everytime after.
Get a tune. After getting my car tuned it feels much stronger in the High RMP.

I called around when I wanted a tune.
Here some prices
ARD $450 Lifetime Tune
LMR $650
Hennessey Performance $550
American Racing Tech (Austin) $350
Geforce $???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDik5n4YzD8

Last edited by Stone17; 06-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Bud, I hope it'll sound nasty! Lol Right now, the drone is there but it's tolerable. I like loud exhaust so hearing it in the car doesn't bother me. I just don't wanna be hurting my performance or be short on backpressure running just the high flow cats and X.

Stone... Some of those shops are pretty pricey! G-Force is right down the road from me. I know those guys pretty well and Mikey does the tuning so I'm pretty sure they would get me tuned for $400 or a little less. My buddy that owns clear lake speed has everything needed to tune a car and told me $350 with $100 re-tunes. Pretty sure there are a couple cheaper options (Wheatley, Wait4Me, etc) but I want to be sure the car is tuned right to its greatest potential. I'm sure any shop will tune it well but I know some tuners are a little better than others.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question... Anyone heard this setup??