Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Transmission/Shifter randomly got stuck!

Old 09-08-2023, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission/Shifter randomly got stuck!

So this happened after a little bit of "spirited" driving the other day, temperature was around 102 degrees in hot-*** Central Texas. I stopped at a red light and I habitually wiggle my shifter slightly when I am stopped (not sure why I do this). I noticed as I was slowing my shifter wasn't really wiggling even thought it was in neutral, and as I attempted to move it, my shifter wouldn't really go anywhere at all. I had just a tiny amount of play in it, but it wouldn't go any direction to shift into any gear. I started panicking just a little as I was in front at a red light and didn't seem to be able to move my shifter at all. I was able to force it slightly in the direction of first gear, and as a last-ditch effort tried letting up on the clutch a bit and it seemed to be in 1st. The light turned green and I was able to wind up 1st gear, but then when I tried to shift into 2nd it would not budge at all, and grinded pretty bad, but then I was able to go directly to 3rd no problem. As I went to shift into 4th it was the same as 2nd and wouldn't shift into 4th, but then I was able to go to 5th and then 6th with no issue. As I hit the next red light about a mile ahead, I was testing each gear and I was then able to shift into each gear with no problem at all. I drove another 20 miles home and never had another problem. Another observation is that the whole area where my shifter is got REALLY hot. I don't know that it's related, but it typically DOES get pretty hot anyway, even under normal circumstances, plus the weather in TX is hot af right now, so I wasn't necessarily thinking that was out of the norm.
The following users liked this post:
MJSCaddyV (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenTeam83
So this happened after a little bit of "spirited" driving the other day, temperature was around 102 degrees in hot-*** Central Texas. I stopped at a red light and I habitually wiggle my shifter slightly when I am stopped (not sure why I do this). I noticed as I was slowing my shifter wasn't really wiggling even thought it was in neutral, and as I attempted to move it, my shifter wouldn't really go anywhere at all. I had just a tiny amount of play in it, but it wouldn't go any direction to shift into any gear. I started panicking just a little as I was in front at a red light and didn't seem to be able to move my shifter at all. I was able to force it slightly in the direction of first gear, and as a last-ditch effort tried letting up on the clutch a bit and it seemed to be in 1st. The light turned green and I was able to wind up 1st gear, but then when I tried to shift into 2nd it would not budge at all, and grinded pretty bad, but then I was able to go directly to 3rd no problem. As I went to shift into 4th it was the same as 2nd and wouldn't shift into 4th, but then I was able to go to 5th and then 6th with no issue. As I hit the next red light about a mile ahead, I was testing each gear and I was then able to shift into each gear with no problem at all. I drove another 20 miles home and never had another problem. Another observation is that the whole area where my shifter is got REALLY hot. I don't know that it's related, but it typically DOES get pretty hot anyway, even under normal circumstances, plus the weather in TX is hot af right now, so I wasn't necessarily thinking that was out of the norm.
I had a very similar issue, drain, and fill that T56 transmission ASAP. My fluid was jet black and thinner than water and ambient temperature, highly recommended Royal Purple Syncromax fluid, now my transmission shifts so much easier amd keeps the temperatures down by 50-70 degrees!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission/Shifter randomly got stuck!