Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V2 Bose amp signals for additional subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V2 Bose amp signals for additional subwoofer

Before I start tapping into the stock Bose amp wiring, I am interested in any differences in sound quality between the low signal level output versus the speaker outputs to drive an secondary sub amp and subwoofer.

I know that one would typically want to connect to the low signal levels but am wondering if head unit adjusts these low signal level subwoofer outputs.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe your only option is to connect to the speaker level outputs from the amp to the stock sub. The amp only outputs low frequency as opposed to full range signals to the sub. It also does crazy equalization things like significantly reducing bass as you turn up the volume. I did a major upgrade on my 08 Denali but I am considering just an amp and sub for the V. LOC converter off the sub feed or an amp that accepts speaker level inputs. Also on my Denali, the bose sub was dual voice coil so a left and right channel if you will. The amp in my 08 only received two channels of audio from the head unit. The amp created all channels of 5.1. Haven't looked at the wiring diagram for the bose in my new 2011 but I will get around to it sooner or later.

After checking my manual, it looks like you have the option of tapping before or after the amp as both the amp and head unit have sub outs. They are single channel as well. Not sure if the bose equalization would be removed if you tapped off the head unit. My guess is it would sound better if you could remove the eq from bose.

Perhaps others that have tried can chime in. I find the stock bose unit better than the stock bose unit in my 08 Denali but it still lacks in bass. Not so much thumping, I like clean crisp bass. Hoping adding a sub will keep me happy

Last edited by Bish; 07-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Bish.

Connecting to the speaker output is what I did with my V1 and was pretty pleased with the results. I'll probably do the same for the V2. The amp I have will accomodate both speaker levels and low level audio signals.

I did notice on the connector wiring diagram that the Bose amp I have is considered the UQS version versus the UQA - verified based on wire colors. I also inoticed that there is a pair of wires for a "left rear subwoofer speaker output + and -" on connector X1 but cannot see the same for "right rear subwoofer.... " on X1, X2, X3 or X4 connectors ... which would be for that second voice coil in the subwoofer. Connector X4 has a pair of wires that are called "subwoofer low level audio signal + and -" with no differentiation between left and right. I believe that the sub in my setup only has one voice-coil.

Are you refering to the owner's manual or a shop manual?

In any case, I'll probably check it out tonight to see what's what.

Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RocketSSled
2 1996 Impala SS's - both DGGM, with intake and exhaust
2004 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 - stock
2005 CTS-V Black/Tan - custom CAI, modified stock shifter, gutted stock mufflers with x-pipe, Momo sub w 400watt amp and stock Bose system, customized 2009 CTS-V center console and **** - SOLD
2010 CTS-V Silver with Black interior - stock
I see you got the fastest color WX3s! Same as me . . .

Still that's a crazy stable.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RocketSSled
Thanks Bish.

Connecting to the speaker output is what I did with my V1 and was pretty pleased with the results. I'll probably do the same for the V2. The amp I have will accomodate both speaker levels and low level audio signals.

I did notice on the connector wiring diagram that the Bose amp I have is considered the UQS version versus the UQA - verified based on wire colors. I also inoticed that there is a pair of wires for a "left rear subwoofer speaker output + and -" on connector X1 but cannot see the same for "right rear subwoofer.... " on X1, X2, X3 or X4 connectors ... which would be for that second voice coil in the subwoofer. Connector X4 has a pair of wires that are called "subwoofer low level audio signal + and -" with no differentiation between left and right. I believe that the sub in my setup only has one voice-coil.

Are you refering to the owner's manual or a shop manual?

In any case, I'll probably check it out tonight to see what's what.

Thanks again.
I'm looking at the shop manual. According to my glance last night, there were 4 wires going to the sub. It appears one pair was speaker signal and the other pair is power and remote turn on maybe? I did not think the stock sub was powered but it looks like it from the schematic.

I was also questioning if all V's were using UQS but I haven't confirmed through my glove box sticker.

If you would like, I can scan a page or two tonight and post it for you. My 08 install would have been VERY difficult without a schematic but then again I replaced a ton of stuff on that one.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Bish.

Any additional information you have regarding wiring would be helpful. I'd like to limit the cut/splice/dang-it factor as much as possible.

Where did you get the shop manual for the V2? I have them for my 2 Impalas and have been a great bumper-to-bumber reference.

Thanks again and best regards.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the manuals from HelmInc.com I was surprised they had a 2011 a couple moths ago. It was $150 and it is 5 or 6 volumes covering EVERYTHING I can imagine. Stack of volumes is about 16" tall when stacked.

Late tonight I will scan a few pages. If you want to PM me your email, I can send the pages to you in pdf format.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

PM sent, thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

email sent

Quick Reply: V2 Bose amp signals for additional subwoofer