Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Modifying the stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying the stock exhaust

Ok, so through the advice of the board I'm going to go ahead and modify the stock exhaust vs. buying a new one (catback). I tried to do some searching for information but I can't seem to put together the correct wording to find threads (as im sure their are multiple threads on this).

I'm going to do headers, midpipes, have an exhaust shop weld in an x pipe and do a Muffler delete with tips. Sound good?

So as far as the tips, my research shows the stock exhaust to be 2.5"? but most good tip option (imo) don't come in 2.5", but only 2.25". What is the general person do in this situation? Widen to 3"? or reduce to 2.25" at the tip?

Does anyone have video clips, or know of video clips with a similar setup?

This is the tip I'm interested in...
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9661

Thoughts? feedback?
Old 08-14-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the larger tips, within reason. I want to say mine are 3 or 3 1/2" and they fill in the openings nicely, without looking too large. They are polished stainless steel, although not sure what kind they are, but the opening is ~2 1/2" and at the end (viewed) has a chamfer that extends to the edge of the outer opening. (I clicked your link and they look real similar to those, but no "brand" on them)...Those are $$$, yikes, but do look nice.

If I were to buy them from scratch though, I'd probably just buy some 3" stainless tubing and weld the 2 1/2 to 3" and polish them myself on the lathe and maybe do a slash cut. Otherwise, buying tips can be way too much $$ depending on where you go and some of them are just chinese stuff and none of that junk's going on my car
Old 08-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Hi all!

I went through the same process recently. Everyone has their own ideas of what looks good and what doesn't. I wanted to add my .03 cents FWIW. I chose longer tips with a 3.5" exterior diameter because they fill the opening well (as JNR Design mentioned) and there's sufficient space for me to get my hand in there for cleaning. Hopefully this link will work: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-690053/?rtype=10

Here's a pic or 2 of how they look installed:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

If these links work you'll see exactly what I mean. I chose the 12" length so that from all angles the tips look good

I'm having my Pacesetters/catted midpipes installed in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I had the rear mufflers deleted, which is when I added the tips. I must say, dollar for dollar, this is a wise investment (vs $$$ for a cat-back system). Sounds very nice and it cost me $100 for the exhaust work plus the $60 (total) for 2 pipes from Summit. I am very pleased, hope you will be too!

-Marc
Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just ordered some dual wall 2.25 "to 4" tips and a magnaflow x pipe. Everything should be here mid week and I can get it everything mated on Sunday. OBX headers are next.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are my 4" rolled summit tips that I put on with my muffler delete. Fit perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Modifying the stock exhaust-exhaust-tips.jpg  
Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, 4" look the best IMO. Fills the voids perfecly
Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, I think ill be happy with it.

ITSSLOW; What suspension do you have? your ride height is sexar.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

I saw where someone used a set of GTO stock tips...I can't remember which year, but they used different tips throughout the years. There is one of them that SHOULD have been on the V1s IMO. They have the PERFECT angle and fill up the holes nicely. I've searched for a set on the GTO board and even put an ad in their classifieds a LONG time ago trying to pick up a set from someone who had modified theirs....I did the muffler delete and just lopped off my stock tips and had them re-welded back on. I wanna go with a larger set and do a set of electric cutouts....Just so I can scare children and elderly people once in a while.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Electric cutouts FTW!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a quote of $250 to do the muffler delete and swap out to the X pipe, but based off of the prices I saw here I turned my nose at it. Not to mention at that price I could buy a cheap welder from HarborFreight and do it myself.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.duct_mossburg
Not to mention at that price I could buy a cheap welder from HarborFreight and do it myself.
That's true of most projects.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BudRacing
That's true of most projects.
This is true, but I think a more reasonable price $175-$200, I would have them do it. $250 is me wasting a day on it and getting to play with a welder.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Teching In

I have the same exact tips as itsslow98 shown above and the straight cut bothers me every time I look at the car. Should have gone angled. Athough I must say 4in dia is perfect.

Also I'm still not sure what the draw is in dropping in a different xpipe as the stock exhaust already has an xpipe inside the resonator.

Quick Reply: Modifying the stock exhaust