Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replaced the V with a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced the V with a diesel

Well I traded in the v this past week for a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 (very low mileage). Link below to the truck I got. I absolutely love the truck, but it definitely is not a Cadillac (manual windows/locks etc). I still get the badass factor, though, when the turbo starts spoolin up and the tires are howlin! I had to get a truck for work (construction engineer), and got a very good trade in deal on the diesel. The truck is pretty much stock except for exhaust/intake, gauges, and leveling kit. I'm sure one day I'll end up putting a conservative tune on it to get some more power and mpg's out of it. Dumping out black smoke could be fun to (sometimes) - just don't wanna kill the tranny in this thing.

For anyone looking to buy a cts-v in the northern va area, here is a link to the ad the dealership has up (pictures should be available soon). (I am not affiliated with these guys at all, just thought it could be make for a very good deal for someone). I actually bought the car two years ago with 35k miles on it for the same price as they have it listed for now. It has magnaflow exhaust, obx headers, linea corse wheels, short shifter, w4f tune. The car was in great condition. They are asking 20k for it, but I'm sure someone could do a little haggling (very nice guys there). If someone is interested in it, feel free to pm me with questions about it.

Truck I picked up: http://www.warrentonselect.com/detai...d-7491778.html

New ad for cts-v (it is sad to see it up for sale already): http://www.warrentonselect.com/detai...d-7598807.html
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a friend with the 4 door version of that truck....I drove it on a snowboarding trip from Philly up to the mountains in New York and back. I loved it for what it was, the power feels great and the ride isn't that bad.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

You'll miss the V but diesels are fun man. Looks like a nice truck. Single cab diesels haul some ***! Lol
Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some dude just traded in his 02 Viper at my work for a Diesel. Quite a different vehicle spectrum. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a lifted 05 Cummins with 6 inch grand rock stacks, 6 inch suspension lift, and 37" tires. Go buy a smarty jr programmer, I got +3mpg, and 100 hp and a crap load of black smoke Miss mine
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

My buddy had an 05 crewcab with pretty much the same setup. 6" lift on 22's and 37's. Looked sick! Had a few mods among double stacked chips and a big *** single exhaust with a big *** tip that would fog out cars on the road... Lol sick truck until he totaled it.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great score on the new rig. There's lots you can do with the CTD. Before you get too crazy with tuners (there's no "chip" that you can stack). There are fueling boxes like the TST, Edge, etc. Then there's the tuners - like MADS Smarty, Superchips, etc.

The TST and Smarty is a known great combo, but with 04.5+, I'd get a custom tune with EFI Live. Otherwise, a Smarty SSR is good. Guaranteed to walk through your transmission with just a tuner.

Start with an intake, exhaust and gauges (which are vital for the diesel). Then, build up the tranny, and then get the tune. Otherwise, it'll get really expensive, really quick.

And go easy on the black smoke. It's becoming a black eye in the diesel community.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

My mistake. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to diesel mods. I just know he had two types of tuners running at the same time that made a big power difference.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice lookin truck man... diesels are ridiculous when modded... cost some coin, but fun stuff
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I think it was a good investment. It has a boost fooler on it right now (can get into the upper 30psi's with heavy throttle) so I have been looking into the 'smarty jr' tuner to take advantage of the opened up wastegate (needs more fuel) It's my dd, so nothing too crazy. I'm not a huge fan of having black smoke dumping out every time I drive an incline. I've got quite a bit of research to do before I start tweaking it all, though!

Quick Reply: Replaced the V with a diesel