Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V- drive line and a 47 chev questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V- drive line and a 47 chev questions

hey guys I am thinking of doing a little project

I was going to take a 1947 chev fleet line and buy and wrote off V
I plan on take everything from the V and putting it into the 47

does anyone have ideas or maybe a site I can go to
to help with the project ?

thanks guy
Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are your goals for the fleetline? Any theme? Restomod is the category obviously, but are you going to actual performance out of it? If anything you could save some coin and put an iron block 5.3 or 6.0 in there with an LS style intake setup on it and have a clean engine bay. The weight savings of an aluminum LS6 probably isn't really of concern in your project so I wouldn't think the extra cost would be worth it.

The only good thing about the V that I'd use are maybe the seats and the LS6/LS2. The rear end is junk, the trans is mediocre, the driveshaft is plain garbage. The seats can be found used, you just gotta keep an eye out in classifieds and ebay.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
What are your goals for the fleetline? Any theme? Restomod is the category obviously, but are you going to actual performance out of it? If anything you could save some coin and put an iron block 5.3 or 6.0 in there with an LS style intake setup on it and have a clean engine bay. The weight savings of an aluminum LS6 probably isn't really of concern in your project so I wouldn't think the extra cost would be worth it.

The only good thing about the V that I'd use are maybe the seats and the LS6/LS2. The rear end is junk, the trans is mediocre, the driveshaft is plain garbage. The seats can be found used, you just gotta keep an eye out in classifieds and ebay.
Completely agree...unless he is talking about getting a jacked up V2. Then its a different story.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Yeah I wouldn't use the driveshaft or rear diff but the engines/trans is just fine. The only problem with the trans is the funky linkage/shifter for the Vs. It is awful.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
Yeah I wouldn't use the driveshaft or rear diff but the engines/trans is just fine. The only problem with the trans is the funky linkage/shifter for the Vs. It is awful.
While the linkage is crappy, with a swap car I believe you would benefit from the linkage since it would give you a little room to play with the location. It may even be possible to modify the linkage to work out even better.

As for the swap the cts-v oil pan and accessories give you both a ton of ground clearance and they accessories hug the block nicely. I actually used a cts-v oil pan on my 93 mustang and it sits flush with the kmember giving me great ground clearance.......might even save my oil pan if the front wheels come off the ground
Old 10-05-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
the trans is mediocre
Not so. It's the poor remote mount shifter that causes the problems.

The transmission is a triple cone, double cone with better forks and many other features found only in the GTO and some Corvette (all the Z06) applications.

Keisler makes a front mount shifter kit that would place the shifter in the correct location in your Fleetline. It was around $200 when I bought mine.

The way the shift rod is already a two-piece unit in the V makes the installation of the kit very easy (in a "normal" T56, you have to completely disassemble the trans, cut, shorten and re-drill the shift shaft). With the V's M12 T-56, you'll just have to make a small bushing to adapt the rear shaft to the shifter cup. The shifter stub is the neat standard "Hurst" two-hole mount that many stick combos can be adapted to.

I have this front-mount shifter in my truck (fits in the OEM 5-speed floor board hole/boot) and it works great. It's very positive feeling.

The only real problem you'll encounter is the need for a two-piece driveshaft (due to the trans having a solid mount instead of a yoke) with a slip joint at the carrier bearing. Right off hand, I'd say that G-Force could fab you up one.

The hump-back GM cars aren't as heavy as they look (especially the Olds and Pontiacs) once you dump the OEM motors and iron Hydramatics. The motor alone in my Olds outweighed the SBC by about 125 lbs. If you watch what you're doing when selecting components, you should be able to finish somewhere between 3400 and 3500 lbs.

Last edited by scatillac; 10-05-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stand corrected then. I was assuming those old cars were very heavy.

I supposed with a Mustang II front suspension, a lighter engine & trans, custom 2 piece driveshaft and a solid rear axle it could be a decent driving hot rod.

Quick Reply: V- drive line and a 47 chev questions