Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

my opinion on CTS-V vs subaru STi. what's yours?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my opinion on CTS-V vs subaru STi. what's yours?

So I came from an 04sti with 120k mi, and bought an 05 V with 29k mi. I gotta say, the V is by far nicer, and carries a a higher "social status" with it (baller), but the sti was by far more fun to drive...and faster, not to mention your fun was not limited to dry days...which only occurs 50% of the time here in the midwest. Anybody else have unbiased opinions on cts-v vs sti?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Im not a big fan of STI's or Evo's but I agree with you. The LS6 Im sure made more power but it is much bigger/heavier. The biggest thing is AWD. I love my WS6 but I hate how I have to drive a Celica in rain/snow.. I cant see myself ever owning an STI or Evo but they can be built to perform with big cubed engines anyday..
Old 10-30-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friends WRX went to 120mph and the motor popped...

I went to 120mph and kept going in my CTS-V...

I have twice the miles on my motor as he did when he blew it (a few months ago).

I like the Cadillac, but imports are fun, too.

I like both, but haven't been in a Subaru other than an older Imprezza.

-meaty
Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

why would you even compare a mid-size awd car to a full size luxury rwd car i have had both and they are two completely diffrent cars and how do you know your sti was faster have time slips or are you using your seat of your pants feeling cuz alot of cars feel faster but unless you got some time slips you cant prove your theory
Old 10-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Launching!

what kinda of mods did you have on your sti? Your V should be faster but they are weak from a dig... no traction on crappy stock tire size and damn wheel hop.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came from an 04 as well, loved both cars, but my maggied v takes the win for sure. Subi was a ton of fun in the rain, but the caddy is well a caddy and a fast *** one at that
Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

I can't compare the Subie directly, but what I can compare is an Evo X... which is ridiculously similar to the Subaru (latest gen Subaru Sti pads will fit onto Evo X brakes)

The CTS-V is a 4 door, but thats where the similarities end. The RWD platform, the leather seating, the heated seats, the whole kit and kaboodle is much different. The CTS-V (albeit with its "cheap" interior) is the luxury aspect of it... and although off the line, I'm sure these AWD cars will take the lead... There's no way stock for stock... an STI would be "faster" then a CTS-V. I've run my friend's Evo X with a slight bit of work vs my bone stock, 119k mile CTS-V, and the outcome was in favor of the V.

I'm sure the Subaru must be a ton of fun as an all year rounder. I've been in the Evo X during a blizzard, watching my friend drift around the corner with the cops watching, helpless to even give chase in 2+ feet of snow here in NYC.

The Subaru i'm sure is a much easier car to drive, and because of that, definitely would feel more fun. idk about faster, but definitely more fun. Launch control, awd, the systems in it and all that makes it easier. The V is more of a handful, weighs more, difficult to launch without wheelhop, etc. But the V is definitely a performer.

And its a performer you can actually drive on long drives without cramping your back out in a tiny recaro seat built for a 3 foot Asian.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

this thread is ******* useless...is like asking how do you feel about a GSXR600 compared to a Harley-Davidson FLSTF (Fat Boy). Or a non-vehicle metaphor, a apple to a eggplant.

i would like to thank the OP for being an ******* idiot.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
this thread is ******* useless...is like asking how do you feel about a GSXR600 compared to a Harley-Davidson FLSTF (Fat Boy). Or a non-vehicle metaphor, a apple to a eggplant.

i would like to thank the OP for being an ******* idiot.
Break that comparison down for me if you could.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will post my comparison on my old 07 V to my new Raptor...stay tuned.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Why compare an STi to the V? Why the hell does anyone buy a sportscar? To have a FUN car to drive. Unfortunately, there are people out there that buy cars only to drag race, whenever millions have gone into engineering the car to handle...but whatever, it's not my money being wasted. I'm just saying there is a reason our cars have "G" meters...

I think odthetruth pretty well nailed it. The V is a much larger, more difficult car to control, while limited to only dry days....but way more practical in terms of drivers comfort.

colegraham, it's obvious i'm not the only person to have owned both an awd handling machine and the V. The comparison is worthwhile.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I came from a 05 Legacy GT(faster than a stock STI) and it was a well built car. And ive driven a number of STIs...

Subarus are decent cars... the EJ25 is NOT the most stout motor out there. THe interior on the LGT was a LOT nicer than a STI... But yes they are both more of a all season car with the AWD.

Hands down the V is the faster car(stock for stock) And with a few mods the V really does wake up(I/H/E)... Power for power the STIs only speed advantage is a slight weight savings and AWD.

Handling. This is where the V just doesnt compair. I havnt had mine to its limits yet. But really it doesnt inspire you to get there either. My legacy was on coilovers with sway bars and wider than stock tires. It was ALWAYS planted and inspired you that it had more to give(short a LOT of understeer). The V, even lowered on springs, just doesnt have that same feeling.

In all I would go this way for overall car(comfort/speed/handling)

CTS-V > EVO > Legacy GT > STI.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Launching!

The V should be faster. I rolled on a modded STI when I 1st got my V & it was a close race up to 100 at which point the V started walking the Subbie.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfstuxojlWc

And a mod for mod(bolted and cammed V and a bolted and tuned STI)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2aV...eature=related
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 AM
D.K
On The Tree

I made the swap from an V8 Audi S4 to a CTS-V. While there were a few similarities between the 2 (4 doors, similar weight, leather/suede seating, MPGs, etc), the S4 was joyless to me. It was a great car, don't get me wrong, but it didn't just inspire driver excitement. And while AWD systems do have their place, unless you have a dedicated snow tire setup, my S4 was no better than anything else in the snow. The only difference was that all 4 tires spun instead of 2...granted I was on summer tires.
The V on the other hand is a much better all around car. It's faster, handles better, just as competent in the rain, and best of all, it's exciting! And much easier (and cheaper) to modify.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My truck will out pull both cars, and then pull them both home on a trailer.

Screw the trailer, I can just hook up a strap and drag them home kicking and screaming.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Finally someone is honest, hahaha
Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by odthetruth
And its a performer you can actually drive on long drives without cramping your back out in a tiny recaro seat built for a 3 foot Asian.
I would have rather had recaro seats than the same seats out of a SUV... Never had issue with my sti's seats and was a 600 mile long front seat passenger in a evo with no complaints. I'm not a 3 ft Asian but I'm also not a typical fat *** American...

My sti actually made me look forward to driving in snow all winter long, with blizzaks on it was stupid fun. In my early 20's I cared less about its econo car roots and the fact it didn't even have a radio (first year sti) now some luxury is nice and everything isn't so busy and buzzy. Both have there quirks and annoyances but both also are a heck of alot of fun. when walking out to each in parking lot they both made me grin and feel lucky to drive them. And every time I hear the "ups truck" flat four exhaust I miss my sti but now I have heated seats and it doesn't sound like I dropped a tin can every time I close the door.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ did you register just to come to this thread and argue or what....... You think your first post would be in the introduction thread....... : /
Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I'd take the V any day over an sti. A buddy of mine has a 07 sti with bolt ons and tune from a roll i would just walk away and i had intake, exhaust and tune. Now on another note i had a buddy with a 06 evo with way to big of a turbo and all supporting mods and that bitch would scream. From a roll i would take him but once his huge turbo spooled up he would come screaming by like i was standing still but driving it daily was horrible. Like a big go kart with wining center diff. and extremely loud ewg. He dynoed 467whp in plano at COBB tuning. But again turbo lagg was horrible. Caddi in no way can be compared to either of these boy toys. People see caddi they show respect people see huge winged car and call it a ricer wether its fast or not unless they knew what it was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my opinion on CTS-V vs subaru STi. what's yours?