Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Install supercharger/cam/etc on V1, Or save up and go V2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install supercharger/cam/etc on V1, Or save up and go V2?

So I now have the magnuson, custom comp cam, headers, etc. the whole package. I'm going to be going under contract, building my first home and while money isn't really the issue it more or less had me picture the money pit side of it. By the time I do everything im in deep...
  • Cam/supercharger/90mm throttle body/etc. Install and tune $2000+
  • CS Trans mount/Motor Mounts/Rear end bushing/ Install $500
  • Header Install $500
  • Gforce Axles/Install $750
  • If I were to have to do an entire rear... $7500 with install
  • Clutch/Flywheel/Install $1500
  • Plus add in the money for the supercharger, headers, and cam/cam parts.

Im at over $15k to do this and do it right..... for what?

My resale only went up $5k-7k, if that. Reality kicks in and I realize I could come out of pocket $5k more and get a new V. Exhaust, pulley and tune and now im faster than my V1 car and it's a lot nicer.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Btw, I've also thought about just saying fock it and getting a C6 Zo6, but then I saw this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apOY03sCAF0
Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if your gonna supercharged your v1 plus put a new rear on it to make it bulletproof. It's comes down to which car you like more. I think the v1 will still look good 10 years from now. It just has that wide stanced don't **** with me look. Especially when ur behind it
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a v2 and save yourself money and headaches. With the mods you have listed youll be making right aroudn what I make maybe 10-20 more. If you wanna see what that power feels like give let me know and ill take you for a ride. Its pretty damn dissappointing to me when I hopped in my cam only 93 lsx mustang and it feels like itd blow the doors off the cadillac.

I think I would only slightly pull at stock V2 to be honest. V2 is more refined, way way way more capable of putting the power to the ground, and way more modern inside.

Just remember that it wont be long till your ready to mod a V2 so a lot of the above parts youll be buying for a V2.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Buy a v2 and save yourself money and headaches. With the mods you have listed youll be making right aroudn what I make maybe 10-20 more. If you wanna see what that power feels like give let me know and ill take you for a ride. Its pretty damn dissappointing to me when I hopped in my cam only 93 lsx mustang and it feels like itd blow the doors off the cadillac.

I think I would only slightly pull at stock V2 to be honest. V2 is more refined, way way way more capable of putting the power to the ground, and way more modern inside.

Just remember that it wont be long till your ready to mod a V2 so a lot of the above parts youll be buying for a V2.
Yeah yeah we all know how you feel.

OP with the price of all your mods including "install" money I'd say you answered your own question. Go for the V2 if you want fast and reliable with no headaches. Part of the fun of modding is doing it yourself. No offense to cc racers but what is the point? Might as well save and buy something out of the box fast without having to return to a shop for every little "thing" that pops up on modded cars. And they will absolutely pop up...

Hope that doesn't come off as brash because I really don't mean it too. If you have the funds to drop ALL those mods at once then just V2 and be done.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CancerJCC

OP with the price of all your mods including "install" money I'd say you answered your own question. Go for the V2 if you want fast and reliable with no headaches. Part of the fun of modding is doing it yourself. No offense to cc racers but what is the point? Might as well save and buy something out of the box fast without having to return to a shop for every little "thing" that pops up on modded cars. And they will absolutely pop up...

Hope that doesn't come off as brash because I really don't mean it too. If you have the funds to drop ALL those mods at once then just V2 and be done.
Sorry I dont sugarcoat things like 99% of the people on this forum.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

V2, don't look back!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CancerJCC

I will do little things myself, but to be honest.. I don't have time to mess with things like headers, cam and a supercharger. My house will only have a single car garage, so it's not as roomy as i'd like.

I ran bikes before I got this car and I was constantly pulling the bike to pieces and putting it back together. When you do it enough, weekly, every weekend, after a 40-50-60 hour work week... The fun vanishes in to thin air.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it depends. I want to drop about that much into my V but it's paid off and I only paid $18k for it almost 4 years ago. I figure even still it's cheaper than a V2 and should kick *** around the track which is what I m primarily building it for. Not to mention depending on how long You keep the V2 it won't be worth much either eventually.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

well ill give u my opinion.. my car has all the mods u want except a cam.. it made 475/453. my boy just got a 09-v and did a filter and trans tune to get rid of the late shifting..
we have raced from all different roll speeds with about the same out come.. ill beat him by about a car till 130 then he comes back and will pass me by 150.
ive got about 33k into my car, he bought his for 52k! mines paid off and hes got a pretty large payment every month.. i like the lines of my car and the super car feel it has when she rocks at a light and whines when i beat her..lol eventually ill build my motor and spray it to try and keep up once he mods..
Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The one thing that you can't mod to beat though is the interior. The V2 is way nicer in this regard.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
D.K
On The Tree

I think it probably comes down to which car you like the looks of more.
You already have the parts for your V1 which is already half of the battle, and I assume that your current car note (if you have 1) will be much less than what you'll end up paying for a V2. Also, if you're going to be under contract on a house in the near future, another thing to think of is what's going to be showing up on your credit report, and a high dollar car payment may not be looked upon too favorably by the banks. But ultimately, it all comes down to which would make you the happiest.

But, in my opinion, since you already have the parts, why not try them out...at least some of them. And yes, I know wrenching on cars sucks, but I'd be down to help out with some stuff if you want to by-pass paying for the the labor costs.

BTW, I saw you at the Advance last night, and once again, I was V less.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

If you suddenly thought about buying a C6 ZO6, then what was your purpose for buying the CTS-V? They are entirely different vehicles. I bought mine because I wanted a fun car with 4 doors and a decent trunk that was under $30k. If I didn't care about passenger/cargo capacity, I would have gone with a C5 Z06 at the time, or waited another year and gotten a used C6 Z06. Yes, the V2 is far more refined than the V1, but I like my V1. I don't drag race it, so the differential isn't much of an issue. It's still under warranty, it gets 26mpg on the highway, handles well, and it gets more looks than a C6. C6's are dime a dozen, and most people don't know the difference between a base model or Z06. Moreover, there is far more aftermarket support for the C6, and I DID NOT want to go down that slippery slope again.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Teching In

All comes down to preference imo. Keeping an eye on resale value while modding a car is pretty ridiculous as you will always lose. That said, if resale value is a major issue for you, then the kick in the pants you will get when you drive the v2 for a year will surely be a lot more then what you will expect to lose on the parts for the v1.

Pretty sure you will end up modding the v2 eventually, too. So you will lose on depreciation and parts.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr.duct_mossburg
So I now have the magnuson, custom comp cam, headers, etc. the whole package. I'm going to be going under contract, building my first home and while money isn't really the issue it more or less had me picture the money pit side of it. By the time I do everything im in deep...
  • Cam/supercharger/90mm throttle body/etc. Install and tune $2000+
  • CS Trans mount/Motor Mounts/Rear end bushing/ Install $500
  • Header Install $500
  • Gforce Axles/Install $750
  • If I were to have to do an entire rear... $7500 with install
  • Clutch/Flywheel/Install $1500
  • Plus add in the money for the supercharger, headers, and cam/cam parts.

Im at over $15k to do this and do it right..... for what?

My resale only went up $5k-7k, if that. Reality kicks in and I realize I could come out of pocket $5k more and get a new V. Exhaust, pulley and tune and now im faster than my V1 car and it's a lot nicer.
I think your budgeting is a tad off.
You will be way beyond 15K. from start to finish to have it done and done right.
Have you done a detailed price build?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends if he knows someone or not.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

V2, hands down.

Amazing car.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
V2, hands down.

Amazing car.
Mike,
How is development of the Trinity going for the ls2 V1 platform. Is there a reason why nobody makes a product for the ls2 based cts-v?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garrettg
Mike,
How is development of the Trinity going for the ls2 V1 platform. Is there a reason why nobody makes a product for the ls2 based cts-v?
I am in the process of releasing support (prolly Monday) for the 09-12 V2's, with many more E67 based applications, including the LS2 V1's, in the near future
Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
I am in the process of releasing support (prolly Monday) for the 09-12 V2's, with many more E67 based applications, including the LS2 V1's, in the near future
Awesome!
I will probably have a V2 by the time it comes out but somebody will want it. haha

Quick Reply: Install supercharger/cam/etc on V1, Or save up and go V2?