Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

UMI CTS-V Motor mount review

Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default UMI CTS-V Motor mount review

Most of my Camaro suspension is UMI components. I've always thought UMI offered the best product for the money. They are consistently more affordable than competitors with very similar products.

These mounts deliver. Price isn't bad at the introductory price. Considering the lack of optionswe can't be too picky on price.

I really like the design. It is tried and true. I used the same style building mounts for the 6.0 240z. This styl allows the motor to torque a little bit but keeps things under control well. The stock mount and other aftermarket ones can flex in a lot of directions they really don't need to. The stock mounts are good at being a cushion but suck when the motor tries to lift off the mount. UMI's mounts handle up and down the same because of the bushing style.

Ride quality is fantastic. I'm sure somebody out there is picky enough to notice but I feel no exta vibration. Hear no extra noises. I drove some pretty rough roads tonight variying rpms across the board and speeds from a crawl up to the speed limit; maybe a littly more. The car as a whole feels more solid. The mounts are solid enough to keep the motor moving with the vehicle. A good pothole feels firm but nothing harsh or unusual.

I still get a tiny bit of the diesel effect when the motor turns off. I've seen others complain of this with stock and aftermarket mounts. It is not as bad as my stock mounts were though so it is an improvement.

Installation was pretty easy. The only tricky part for me was putting the drivers side back in took a bit of extra work to get the lower mount lined up and torqued in place. UMI should add a guide pin to the bottom half like the top half has. For the price I don't think it too much to ask. The top half can be torqued down before even getting back under the car. On the driver side I had to hold 3 pieces at once under the car, get the finger tight, lower the motor down on the mount to put it in place, tighten most bolts, lift the motor back up and tighten the bottom nut again.

Over all very nice pieces. Glad I went with these over the other options.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Quick update - driven the car several more times today. Overall still very pleased. There is a definite chatter at very low rpms. Either when the motor shuts off or lugging around a parking lot etc. Not terrible but could be offensive to the pickiest buyer. I don't feel it so much as hear it in everything in the car rattles.

So if you keep your car below 1000 rpms you might want stock mounts. Doubt you will tear up stock ones below 1k.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice review this gives me some motivation to get mine in next week
Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles were on your stock mounts that you removed? How trashed were they? Stock V? I'm debating between these and the softer creative steel ones.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't say for sure.
The pass side looked like it may have been replaced. Look at my install and click on the pictures link. The drivers side was falling apart. Car has 70k on it.

The drivers side could be pushed in/out by hand. The motor was trying to jump out of the car everytime you touched the gas.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Default Solid/Poly mounts

Hey guys, weird first post here...but how bad/rough are the UMI solid mounts or any other poly mounts?

Thanks in advance. I'm getting cam, headers and some other stuff installed, my driver mount is shot and I'm considering OEM mounts vs. poly/solid.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

I don't mind the UMI mounts at all. Yes, it is noticeable, but it also feels more like a performance car. There is a very slight vibration, but that doesn't quite raise to the level of a buzz. Honestly, I am a picky guy, and I like it. If you are on the fence at all, then you should go for em.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DACTARI
I don't mind the UMI mounts at all. Yes, it is noticeable, but it also feels more like a performance car. There is a very slight vibration, but that doesn't quite raise to the level of a buzz. Honestly, I am a picky guy, and I like it. If you are on the fence at all, then you should go for em.
Thanks for the feedback Dactari, I appreciate it. I work at a dealer so I know and appreciate OEM quality. I love my V and definitely don't want an 'overly' harsh ride. I don't mind loud or sporty, but don't want the mounts to be over the top. I'm a picky guy too, especially with cars so thats good to hear its not too much with the UMI mounts.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UBERTONG
Thanks for the feedback Dactari, I appreciate it. I work at a dealer so I know and appreciate OEM quality. I love my V and definitely don't want an 'overly' harsh ride. I don't mind loud or sporty, but don't want the mounts to be over the top. I'm a picky guy too, especially with cars so thats good to hear its not too much with the UMI mounts.
One more observation I forgot to mention. With UMI mounts, you will feel the car rock more, as more of the engine motion is transmitted into the car, and ultimately dampened by the car. Feels like being buffeted by a strong wind. Not constant... maybe once or twice a minute. For engine longevity, especially with a lopey cam (which I plan to go for eventually) I believe this is preferable to having the engine wobbling around in the bay, and possibly having headers ripped off, etc. I'm not saying the aftermarket ones are that bad, but the OEM mounts certainly are. In terms of perception, it's the kind of thing that's noticeable to an observant person. So I notice, but I like it. My wife has no idea.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
Quick update - driven the car several more times today. Overall still very pleased. There is a definite chatter at very low rpms. Either when the motor shuts off or lugging around a parking lot etc. Not terrible but could be offensive to the pickiest buyer. I don't feel it so much as hear it in everything in the car rattles.

So if you keep your car below 1000 rpms you might want stock mounts. Doubt you will tear up stock ones below 1k.
Hey fellow Oklahoman!

If you get ride of the stock flywheel/clutch assembly, I'd bet 99% of that would go away. Get an LS7 clutch or something single mass. The stock flywheel is a dual mass and has a movable friction surface that can wear out and cause some clunk and its so heavy it gives the appearance of dieseling at shutdown.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UMI CTS-V Motor mount review