Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

heater not working on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater not working on drivers side

so i live in california and normally dont need my heater in this car, it is about 20 degrees out in the cali desert this morning. i turn my heater on and the drivers side only blows cold air.. it has had this problem for a while.. i just always forget about it until it gets cold.. the passenger side gets nice and hot.. i had taken it to cadillac a couple years ago, but it was spring and they told me there was nothing wrong with it... i replaced the controler because that was suggested to me by a mechanic and it sounded like a good idea, well that didnt work... anyone have this issue????
Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Sounds like one of the vacuum lines that control where the hot air is directed is either pinched or fell off. What year?

I will see what I can find in my dealer service program.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Could be the blend door actuator has gone bad. Never heard of it on the CTS yet but it is very common in Fords and GM's with climate control because they have electriclly driven actuators. I guess the gears go bad? Might be worth looking into.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no vacuum lines any more, they stopped using those long ago. They have motor/actuators now in place of the vacuum system. Go to the dealer and have them pull up the parts diagram to find the drivers blend door actuator, it's probably going to be a pain in the *** to get to though.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a similar problem except it feels like takes forever to get warm. I'll have it full blast at 90 both sides and takes forever to get warm and my driver side feels really weak compared to dash one
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

backflush your heater core, trust me.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
There are no vacuum lines any more, they stopped using those long ago. They have motor/actuators now in place of the vacuum system. Go to the dealer and have them pull up the parts diagram to find the drivers blend door actuator, it's probably going to be a pain in the *** to get to though.
So I learned when I looked it up. Haven't been into the dash of a V. All my other GM vehicles had the vac line setup and wasn't sure. Good to know.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't had a chance to look into it anymore yet but the ideas are great. It's an 05. It's frustrating. The passenger side puts out enough to heat the whole cab but I just is cold until it heats the whole thing. I'm going to try to figure it out on monday.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

I decided to back flush my heater core myself, had to goto my gfriends she has a garden hose. I bought some rad flush chemical and some clear tubing to hook up to the in and out pipes to the heater core, I didn't want to flush my whole system as I have already done that before. Just blowing on the line i could see some bits coming out. So I hooked up the garden hose and ran it through, more chunks came out (nothing exessive). I drained the heater core by blowing then poured the flush chemical in the tubing, then would blow until it got to the other line, I'd blow on one hose then the other, and I could see more debry in the clear hose. So I let that sit for about an hour, then flushed it out with the garden hose both ways, not tons of debry came out but enough to make me wonder if the place I got my heater core back flushed at even did it. I would get my buddy to plug the hose with his thumb and I'd blast the garden hose on the other hose and more stuff would come out. Well now I have perfect heat on both sides.
Thanks man, you don't know how many mechanics said it wouldn't be the heater core.
I think the place I brought my car to just back flushed the whole system again not focusing on the heater core itself. It's funny because it wasn't untill I got my coolant system flushed the first time that I notice I hade crappy heat on one side. I even took It back to the same place and, they said it wouldn't be the heater core. I figure they dislodged something and it clogged it enough that my heat was low on one side. Most of the sediment came from one side of the tubing only.
A quote from a forum thread I made about this same thing.
If you want to read the whole thing
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ent-motor.html
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TexVette
So I learned when I looked it up. Haven't been into the dash of a V. All my other GM vehicles had the vac line setup and wasn't sure. Good to know.
I'm sure vacuum has been gone for quite some time but the first gen CTS and current use servo actuators for both mode and air mix. I believe they're stepper type. The HVAC is designed and manufactured by Denso. Seems interesting that a heater core flush did the trick and debris tends to accumulate in an area that affects driver side heat. I'm leaning toward a flush for my Jeep as well due to poor heat output.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

I will bet money its a plugged heater core.
Heater core is split between driver and passenger, when it starts to plugs the end of the core, guess who's side is the end? Drivers.

Common on base CTSs.

Try to back flush it. May work, may not, hope it does work because the whole dash carrier comes out to get the HVAC housing out. No fun.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ecotec88fiero
I will bet money its a plugged heater core.
Heater core is split between driver and passenger, when it starts to plugs the end of the core, guess who's side is the end? Drivers.
WOW! Ain't that a bitch... Always happens when heater core is a lot lower than the inlet at firewall.

Had same issue on an Audi. Backflushing did ok for about a year but problem just came back.

Worth a try for sure. Let us know if that helps.

Quick Reply: heater not working on drivers side