Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

for those who snap CV's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default for those who snap CV's

well i snapped my first last night having a little fun well heres a tip on how to get the broken peice out of the diff with out removing the diff and requires no drilling or welding.

once i got the axle out i was trying to figure out how i was gonna get the peice out.. thought of drilling and tapping and even welding a bolt to the peice and pulling it but i came to a much better solution. i removed the other axle and found a 14 in very skinny flathead and used a hammer to pop the peice out from the opposite side. worked like a charm and all i did was use a magnet to get any debris out from the inner splines and flushed the fluid. hope this helps u guys
Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Good idea. If I snap another one, I am seriously looking to upgrade. This is getting ridiculous. I'm on street tires for crying out loud... They shouldn't break that easily.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Me too bro..i wasnt even shifting..just getting on it in 3rd..spun a little and bang. I thought i blew the diff again.. so far the gen 4 has held up to 500 whp. The axles...not so much..lol
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
well i snapped my first last night having a little fun well heres a tip on how to get the broken peice out of the diff with out removing the diff and requires no drilling or welding.

once i got the axle out i was trying to figure out how i was gonna get the peice out.. thought of drilling and tapping and even welding a bolt to the peice and pulling it but i came to a much better solution. i removed the other axle and found a 14 in very skinny flathead and used a hammer to pop the peice out from the opposite side. worked like a charm and all i did was use a magnet to get any debris out from the inner splines and flushed the fluid. hope this helps u guys
Still not a bad idea to look over the rest of the diff when you have a failure like this.

I took one apart recently and the axle piece broken in the diff would not come out because it had broken in three places and marred a lot of the side gear, jamming itself into the hole where the axle passes through the differential carrier to spline into the side gear.

In a bind a long roll pin punch works too.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Teching In

What are the details of your builds? I tore up axles and a gen III and gen IV diff really quickly. I am wondering if the mcleod rps twin disk is too harsh on the drivetrain....
Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ecotec88fiero
Still not a bad idea to look over the rest of the diff when you have a failure like this.
Agreed. Heat treated metal like this is pretty brittle when it breaks like this, and will never snap in 2-3 large pieces.

Pull the axle out in clean out the carrier, flush the fluild, and make sure nothing made its way to the bearings.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bwyffels
What are the details of your builds? I tore up axles and a gen III and gen IV diff really quickly. I am wondering if the mcleod rps twin disk is too harsh on the drivetrain....
It's either McLeod or RPS. Two different companies.

I'm over 500rwhp and I have broken the passengers side inner CV joint. Stub was fine but it shattered the internals. I was in third and on the floor. Changed lanes and when the back right hit the seem in the road it snapped. Then I sheared all the lugs off the counter shaft in the transmission. That happened on a 3-4 shift. I went to 4th and had nothing. I have an Exedy twin disk and it's an awesome clutch by the way.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Launching!

I broke an axle inside my STS-V diff (same setup, different ratio) and it marred the diff pretty good where the axle goes through. There were chunks everywhere. Taking the whole thing down doesn't take that much longer and is a better way to do it. I ended up sleeving my diff because of the damage to it.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did flush everything and inspected the diff... other than the cv broken there was no other damage to my diff.. i changed the fluid twice and the magnet on the drain plug has no traces of shavings after the first flush.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Launching!

I guess that works too. Getting the did out is not that hard so i'd rather do that than waste fluid flushing it out.

Quick Reply: for those who snap CV's