Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

common for 06 rear diff to leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common for 06 rear diff to leak?

So i brought my car to champion motors today to get the wheels balanced and since i just bought my 06 V last wednesday i told him to quickly just check out the bottom of the car. He noticed that the diff was "leaking" abit. Is this a problem with our cars? is there a way to check the level of the fluid and he quoted me $700 to replace the seals but he said he needs to drop the diff.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

700 ? Thats nuts. U dont need to drop the diff to change the seals..just have to pull the axles. It would take me an hr and a half to change em both and the pinion seal.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

$700!? It can either be the seals or it could be the top breather vent. There's a TSB about it.

$700 is rape. Find someone else.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In answer to your question, though, no they should not leak. And you can check the level by opening the fill plug on the driver's side near the front of the diff case. When the car is level, the fluid should be right to where it starts to come out of the fill hole.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

yea, i figured 700 is excessive. I read in the sticky section all 5 pages about the differential problems and saw on page 3 that GM made a tsb about it. Now my question is, since i didnt buy my car from a GM dealer, and is a U.S. car (I'm in canada), and i print off the proof from this great informative forum, you think I can get the dealer to fix it for free, or will they basically tell me im **** outta luck. I can understand if there was no TSB but there is a full out problem and i think they should honor that even though the warranty is out.

also, for any canadian members on here...is there any other shops i can check out to get quotes for the leaking rear diff that know what they are doing with GM cars? Im located in Toronto around 401/DVP but i dont mind to travel. sucks that champion motors is trying to bend me over because from where i live, they are literally a 5 minute drive down victoria park ave.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

im at 42,000 miles and on my second leak
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did they tell u which seal was leaking?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your talking to me, They arent sure yet. They put dye in my diff and and I have to go back in a week or so

I wanted them to replace my diff since I have GMPP, but of course they wanted to replace my shredded bushing first (least invasive to worst; of course). The weird thing is. I had a small amount of wine in 4th and 5th from about 1800-2400RPM's and now it is gone since they replaced the bushing. Work order said the fluid was NOT replaced because it wasnt low.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by family-man
Now my question is, since i didnt buy my car from a GM dealer, and is a U.S. car (I'm in canada), and i print off the proof from this great informative forum, you think I can get the dealer to fix it for free, or will they basically tell me im **** outta luck. I can understand if there was no TSB but there is a full out problem and i think they should honor that even though the warranty is out.
I think you are confusing a TSB with a recall. A TSB is simply an update to repair or maintenance information.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aurora40
I think you are confusing a TSB with a recall. A TSB is simply an update to repair or maintenance information.
so there wont be no discount given if i decide to go ahead with the dealer to repair it since its a common problem? or do they offer some sort of discount with tsb's, since it is their faulty product.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

yea, i figured 700 is excessive. I read in the sticky section all 5 pages about the differential problems and saw on page 3 that GM made a tsb about it. Now my question is, since i didnt buy my car from a GM dealer, and is a U.S. car (I'm in canada), and i print off the proof from this great informative forum, you think I can get the dealer to fix it for free, or will they basically tell me im **** outta luck. I can understand if there was no TSB but there is a full out problem and i think they should honor that even though the warranty is out.

also, for any canadian members on here...is there any other shops i can check out to get quotes for the leaking rear diff that know what they are doing with GM cars? Im located in Toronto around 401/DVP but i dont mind to travel. sucks that champion motors is trying to bend me over because from where i live, they are literally a 5 minute drive down victoria park ave.
You are SOL with no warranty.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

a tsb is a "technical service bulletin" it is only ment as info on common repairs for the techs so they can complete the job in a timely manner and save the company money. a recall is the only time that they will fix the problem without a warranty because its a safety issue and the company is liable.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so there wont be no discount given if i decide to go ahead with the dealer to repair it since its a common problem? or do they offer some sort of discount with tsb's, since it is their faulty product.
I don't see why they'd offer a discount, but you never know. Anything that needs repair during your ownership, would you consider it a faulty product? Technically it lasted longer than they guaranteed it would.

A TSB is not an acknowledgement of a faulty or defective product.

Quick Reply: common for 06 rear diff to leak?