Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need a new slave cylinder... What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new slave cylinder... What are my options?

Hello everyone. My 05 CTS-V needs the slave cylinder replaced & I am trying to see what my best options are. The guy I purchased my car from told me that he installed an LS7 clutch kit in it a while back, but I can't say that I'm 100% certain that is what's in the car until the trans is out of course. What are my options & what will work besides the stock replacement slave (which I already priced out & it's more than double the price of a Vette slave)? This is besides the point, but I lost my job a few months back, so I am on a tight budget. Any help or info you guys could give me would be much appreciated.... Thanks

P.S. I tried to search & didn't find my answer, so please don't bite my head off LOL...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

OK... I talked to the previous owner, & he says the car definitely has an LS7 clutch kit in it, & that he kinda remembers changing the slave as well... That being said, do I need to just order an LS7 slave? Also, this clutch only has roughly 10k miles on it, why would the slave go bad so quick? Could my master cylinder be going bad?

The symptoms my car has are, the clutch pedal goes dead when driving the car aggressively, otherwise it's fine when just driving it around normally.

Last edited by EPIK; 12-14-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Is their anybody that can help me with info? I know somebody here has installed an LS7 clutch kit in their car. Will a stock LS7 slave bolt right up with no modification?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Alright... I guess people on this site aren't very helpful towards LSX Newbs like my self??? Thanks anyhow.... *insert should've searched 1st comment here* LOL
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone will come along and help you out. There are quite a few that have the ls7
Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Somebody will chime in... I saw your thread earlier, but don't have an answer for you so didn't respond.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed a LS7 slave. No need for spacers and it bolts right up. Only thing I've heard, and that had to be done to mine, was to shave some of the bell housing to let the bleeder through the tranny.

You can also get a new slave at O'Reilly online for less than $100. You can also look at Rock Auto for a Master at about $125 +/-
Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Thank you guys for the replies... That was the answer that I was looking for.

Now my 2nd question is, does my issue sound like it's the slave cylinder, or the master cylinder?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I subscribed to this thread as soon as I saw it because all the info I have read (searched) has not been clear. Hope this thread comes up with some facts
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Teching In

I recently had a McLeod twin disk installed at Dallas Performance and from what I understand they installed a new 2009 V slave and master cylinder... They said it took some customization but the McLeod now works great in it. The 04 parts would not fully disengage the clutch at higher RPMs... I'm not sure what all they had to do but it is possible and the results are great.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I subscribed to this thread as soon as I saw it because all the info I have read (searched) has not been clear. Hope this thread comes up with some facts
Originally Posted by LS3 V
I recently had a McLeod twin disk installed at Dallas Performance and from what I understand they installed a new 2009 V slave and master cylinder... They said it took some customization but the McLeod now works great in it. The 04 parts would not fully disengage the clutch at higher RPMs... I'm not sure what all they had to do but it is possible and the results are great.
Thanks for the reply guys... I am leaning towards the master cylinder at this point since the slave has already been changed within the last 10k miles. Now I am being told by a few people that the stock master cylinder isn't enough behind a modded V? BUT, unfortunately nobody makes an upgraded MC for CTS-V's? I wish I could find out how much modification is required to install a 2009 V MC?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Teching In

I will try to contact them for some details about what all they had to do. They were swamped with work during the process of getting the kinks worked out of my clutch problem so I didnt press for much of an explanation as to what exactly they had to do to make it work. I was just glad to have it back and working like it should.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I will try to contact them for some details about what all they had to do. They were swamped with work during the process of getting the kinks worked out of my clutch problem so I didnt press for much of an explanation as to what exactly they had to do to make it work. I was just glad to have it back and working like it should.
I feel ya, I would be happy too. At this point, I can't even drive the car aggressively because the pedal goes dead in high rpms & also I have trouble getting the car into reverse when its cold...
Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Sounds a lot like the problems I was having with the LS7 clutch that was in it... My situation with the LS7 clutch was probably the slave/master or a combination of both going out and then with McLeod it was even more of an issue, something had to be done so they went to work on a solution. I just emailed them and I will let you know when I hear back....
Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Ok, it looks like the exact combination of parts is a trade secret of sorts held by the guys that did all of the work trying different parts and what not in order to make things work. (Understandable) That being said if anyone is interested the should contact Dallas Performance. They can mail out the kit or you can bring it in to be done in their shop. Whatever the parts combo of OEM parts they used I can say it is a great 100% cure for these type of clutch issues. At least it has been for me.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

So had my shop pull the trans & replace the LS7 slave that was in the car since it WAS leaking with a new OEM LS7 slave. Got the car back, & the pedal is better than before, but still dies a bit after a high RPM pull. Not as bad as it did before, but still not 100% better. BUT, now I have a new problem, when I go to shift to 4th at high RPM's, it completely locks me out of gear & will not go in at all until the RPM's drop? It also still has an issue going into reverse when the car is cold.

So I do know that my car has an LS7 clutch in good shape, brand new LS7 slave (pretty sure it didn't require any type of shims??), but what else could be my issue??? Does this sound like a failing master cylinder, a clutch issue, or transmission issue??? Please help me out guys.... Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

The lockout is a pressure plate issue.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by raven154
The lockout is a pressure plate issue.
Really??? What would cause this? The clutch only has 10k miles on it...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Teching In

I would at least contact Dallas Performance and see what they have to say... They got mine straight with lots of trial and error... They gained a lot of knowledge working on mine figuring out what works and what doesnt...
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm... interesting

Quick Reply: Need a new slave cylinder... What are my options?