Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Deleting mufflers a good idea or just go aftermarket?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deleting mufflers a good idea or just go aftermarket?

Hello,

Im looking for some insight on the idea of removing my stock cts-v mufflers and replacing them with just a 2.5" pipe and tips. I read somewhere that in the lower part of the tq curve, that you will loose power, is the power loss alot or are we talking 1whp, if that. Probably next year I plan to do kooks 3/4" with hi flow cat, into X pipe and with the deleted oem mufflers, but if im going to spend $200 (labour and tips) and with my future mods planned, I just dont really want to be spending and have to change it because it just doesnt work together.

Also, does anyone know what the 2.5" piping is capable of handling rwhp wise, when should you switch to 3"? along with the exhaust setup, depending on the financial situation, I would like to do heads and a mild daily driven capable cam and tune, so would 2.5" be ok?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Losing power in the lower rpms is more related to a header swap than mufflers. A muffler delete will net you no noticeable gain or loss in power on these cars. The real restriction lies in the cats.

Now deleting the mufflers is a great way to make the car sound more aggressive for little coin, and adding mufflers later won't set you back much more than if you'd done them in the first place. Also, if you're being quoted $200 for a muffler delete I'd find another shop.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Muffler delete is exhaust on a budget. But I wouldn't even really call it cheap. It's really nice if you take it to the right place
Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Muffler delete is great. My car came this way and I won't ever be changing to anything else. Sounds awesome and not at all obnoxious.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Losing power in the lower rpms is more related to a header swap than mufflers. A muffler delete will net you no noticeable gain or loss in power on these cars. The real restriction lies in the cats.

Now deleting the mufflers is a great way to make the car sound more aggressive for little coin, and adding mufflers later won't set you back much more than if you'd done them in the first place. Also, if you're being quoted $200 for a muffler delete I'd find another shop.
so my question is, if i go with a muffler delete, will I net the same numbers as a muffler from lets say magnaflow or corsa, or will the magnaflow or corsa mufflers get abit more power?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

A Muffler delete fitted with an aftermarket X-Pipe (imo) is equivalent to that of a 2.5” straight pipe exhaust to which I think is a sufficient flow for a relatively stock vehicle. You aren’t going to notice any power increase or decrease when doing so unless it’s mental. I’m an advocate for the muffler delete mod. If you were to do the headers with the high flow cat than it’s certainly going to be louder but it’s all in what you prefer?

I purchased my MagnaFlow double wall tips off of eBay and took them to a small time muffler shop, Great service, quick turn around, and good prices. I paid $80 for the piping, welding and alignment and to date, I think it’s the best thing I’ve done yet for the money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSTKhmpWCE

Note you don’t hear much rpm until I give it a little gas. I’ve waited to install my headers and one of the reasons is because I’m worried that I won’t enjoy the tone as much.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

I did the muffler delete and resonator delete with an x-pipe when it was stock and loved it.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did my muffler delete no tips for $75 and sounds ALOT better but still not loud enough for me. Thinking of either resenator delete or just do a magnaflow xpipe ill never do longtubes so one of those 2 will have to do
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

No!'! Don't do a muffler delete. Instead, why not buy an electric cutout? It will probably cost you around the same amount of money, you can have the same sound, and performance as with the muffler delete, and you can flip a switch and go back to quiet stock, whenever you want, like perhaps you see a cop.

I see no point in permanently being loud, when you can be loud when you want, and quiet when you don't.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 AM
On The Tree

Cut outs are a different story. But muffler delete vs exhaust is a no brainer for me. Aftermarket exhausts on the V are a waste of money. They follow the same path as stock so your not eliminating any bends. And they're cheaper material.
That's a lot of mod money that could be going towards something else.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A good pair of E cutouts will cost north of $400, plus $40-60 for the install. Muffler delete shouldn't cost much more than the install price alone. If they're charging much more, you need to shop around more. The problem with muffler delete is passing inspection, if your state has it.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I asked a smog tech and said mufflers won't fail smog test if its gone. Only really care about the cats?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

And after dumping $500 into those cutouts they rattle and leak and fail after a few years.

I paid $80 for my delete they supplied piping and labor and reused my stock tips. Sounds good and hope to have my headers on this weekend to see how longtubes sound with the stock resonator.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Muffler Delete is the best grumble for the buck. I started out with just a simple muffler delete with stock tips, then threw on a Spintech X-Pipe, and now I've followed it up with stock 2.5" to 3" piping from the axle back coupled with Cherry Bomb 577577 tips. Looks great and sounds great too. With the larger piping in the back, it has reduced some of the popping that occurs during cold weather/rich startup as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 408Maro
I asked a smog tech and said mufflers won't fail smog test if its gone. Only really care about the cats?
Correct, mufflers make no difference in emissions.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mufflers won't matter for emissions, but inspection isn't just about emissions. Ask if it'll legally pass the visual inspection without mufflers.

My Camaro passed several years with no emissions equipment because it was all tuned out and looked good when they hooked up the OBD2. It would still not pass unless I had mufflers though. Much like how most places won't pass the car if the windows are too dark.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 12-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it still has the resonator that will pass as a muffler.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe. Some states are very strict while others don't care.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

anyone have pics of 4" tips
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Well I have never had problems with electric cutouts rattling, and if the money is that big a deal, just get a standard non electric cutout. Then you still have the option to go back to stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deleting mufflers a good idea or just go aftermarket?