Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ground Control Spring Rates

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Ground Control Spring Rates

Hey, I've got the 550/600 lb springs on my Ground Control kit. Frankly, the car still bucks and leans a little bit too much for my taste.

For the rest of you with GC kits, what spring rates are you using and how do you like it?

Would you recommend new sway bars?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which shocks are you running?
Sways are cheap, and would help. I removed my hotchkis from the front. Went through two sets of brackets, and got tired of fixing this clunk or that clunk.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

What do you mean by "buck? As in the rear end shifts around over bumps when cornering? If so, my car does this pretty bad, and i'm confident it's just crappy engineering, not a mechanical problem with the car. Sounds like i'll have to do some research to get up to speed.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hatched91
What do you mean by "buck? As in the rear end shifts around over bumps when cornering? If so, my car does this pretty bad, and i'm confident it's just crappy engineering, not a mechanical problem with the car. Sounds like i'll have to do some research to get up to speed.
Lots of bumps in NYC. The rear felt like it could step out very easily. Specter bushings tightened things up in a big way. Never mind the GREAT job they did with the wheel-hop. They do amplify the diff whine though.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Hey, I've got the 550/600 lb springs on my Ground Control kit. Frankly, the car still bucks and leans a little bit too much for my taste.

For the rest of you with GC kits, what spring rates are you using and how do you like it?

Would you recommend new sway bars?
Sway bars make a big difference. Shocks make a big difference too. I have the eibach sways which are the smallest upgrade and the difference is pretty dramatic. With just a rear bar it's fun but too tail happy. The front bar balances it out but it's borderline too stiff due to our wussy *** steering rack.

What shocks are you running? If stock fe4s, and they are worn, that makes it lean bad. It's stiffer and lower now. If they are really gone, even if you have sways, it will have that loose snap body roll. You really have to compliment it with shocks to enjoy it. The fg2s have alot of compression which keep you flatter in the turns.

I highly recommend the sways if your goal is to kill a good amount of body roll.

I have 500/550/600/ and 650 springs and have been trying out various combos for a while including fg2,fe4,qa1, etc.

I found that with fg2s, 500/550,sways, and ride height about 26.5 Front and rear, it was perfect. Very firm and planted, enough give to still have fun..
I stepped up to 550/600 and then 600/650. The stiffer springs only made things marginally better for the street, making it almost too stiff. The bumps are just rougher. Very flat and harder to push the car, you just can't find room to have fun. On a track I can see it being really nice.

I also tried qa1 shocks which in my opinion blow, but I'm having them rebuilt to my specific request so we'll see how that goes.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the FG2s, but I can't recall what I set my ride height to. Based on your feedback and on some of my own research, I think I'll go with sways and then re-evaluate spring rates afterwards.

Quick Reply: Ground Control Spring Rates