Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My weekend: Pacesetter and cam install

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My weekend: Pacesetter and cam install

Try to keep it short. I ramble a lot.

Not too bad doing either. The worst part are the plugs and wires really. The person who did the engine bay harness should be shot. Hard wrapped wires are in the way all over the place.

Once you pull the coils/wires off most the rest comes out easy. The stock manifolds drop right out the bottom. The headers go back in just taking off the steering shaft. Putting the bolt back in the shaft is a pain. Headers clear everything with my umi motor mounts.

All the plastic covers are held in place with plastic push pins. Radiator and fans come out the top. No drain or fill ports = a pain. Condenser will hang low enough for the cam to come out. Stock waterpump gaskets were shot - only gasket I needed. Accessories can stay on. Have to remove both idler pulleys. Valve springs were not bad because there is no cowl to deal with. Cam just barely has enough room to slide out under the bumper support and sticks out almost to the grill.

Could have done everything in a day and a half. Was using a threaded rod/nut to reinstall the dampener and it broke off in the crank. Couldn't get it out. So drill and tap. I have a 3" long 3/4" bolt with a large washer in it now. Torqued down to about 130# and praying it stays in.

226/226 .598/.598 117+4 - Grabbed it for a good price on the boards. Think it was an eps spec'd for a tame maggie cam. Needed very little tuning. Drives like stock. Has just a little lope at idle. Now I think I need a maggie.

Exhaust is pacesetter 1 3/4" with their connectors to stock exhaust with stock resonator and no mufflers. Sounds good at idle and has a pretty good bite when you get on it. Less drone than I had with stock manifolds.

Going by seat of the pants and delivered engine torque (not exact) I don't think it will do 400 to the wheels but very close . Drives like stock. Won't have a big peak but has a nice broad torque curve. Hope to hit the dyno soon but doubt it will before Christmas. Made 330hp stock on a dynojet. I would like to see 50hp from the exhaust and baby cam.

Anyways. Just wanted to share some. Probably need to leave it alone.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they coated or wrapped? What year v?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

05V (need to update sig) The coated ones. The coating is outside only but I just couldn't spend the money for kooks. Amazon has had open boxed coate pacessters under $300 shipped.

@2 wire touches the primary and I had to grab an insulator from the parts store.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
Was using a threaded rod/nut to reinstall the dampener and it broke off in the crank. Couldn't get it out. So drill and tap. I have a 3" long 3/4" bolt with a large washer in it now. Torqued down to about 130# and praying it stays in.
lol... silly man. Threaded Rod and nut? lol.
There is a crank bolt you can buy for 7 bucks, which is longer, sole purpose to press on a damper.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vmapper
lol... silly man. Threaded Rod and nut? lol.
There is a crank bolt you can buy for 7 bucks, which is longer, sole purpose to press on a damper.
This is how I install all of my balancers. Its better than using a bolt because you arent stressing the threads on the crank. He must have been doing it incorrectly or was using a weak rod. Its best to use 10.9 metric rod with an anchor bolt against the crank and another to push it on. I wouldnt use one of those cheap balancer install bolts...youre just asking for trouble.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Somethings I shouldn't buy on ebay. The seller won't respond to me but I think its just grade 5 crap from ACE. Strange thing is it actually snapped when trying to back it off. Looks like the threads messed up on the nut. Oh well lesson learned.

Going to the dyno this evening.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Would like to see the numbers on the cam I sold ya
Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Meh. Want to eventually get back on the dyno I hit when stock, but it is 3 hours away.
Both are dynojet though.

Tune was pretty much spot on. 13.0 air fuel and 26 degrees timing. 27 didn't really help. Any leaner didn't make a noticable difference.

365 and like 350 torque. Not impressed. Not apples to apples and a blower cam but still. Sounds better and pulls a little harder. I expected this with headers and another 20 or so from the cam. Somebody sell me a cheap blower.

I guess above I said I wanted to see 50 and got @ 35. Going to order an intake. The stock resonator isn't that restrictive is it?

Quick Reply: My weekend: Pacesetter and cam install