Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Write-up for 5-lug conversion for V1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 lug swap

Originally Posted by N G
Everyone is interested in the 5 lug swap for the 04-07 CTS-V. Problem, nobody gives a a concise explanation of the multiple options or methods of accomplishing the tasks.

Question: Will a pre-09 Corvette Z06 hub and rotor mount up to the 04-07 CTS-V without extra machining or without loss of emergency brake. If so, will there be any issues with using the stock caliper for the CTS-V? And, will there be clearance issues if the Z06 wheel/rims used...?

This is the question everyone wants to know, but honestely, I have not seen asked or answered definitively.
Been there, done that!
What is your application? Street only, or Road course?

Any pre-09 C6 hub will work. The C6Z front rotor will work when centered to the V1 OEM caliper with shims. The C6Z front wheel will require a spacer to keep it off the steering knuckle. IMO the OEM Brembo rotor is far superior to the C6Z front rotors if you do track days.

If retaining emergency brake the corvette rotors do not work on the rears.

If your application does not include track days, the least expensive route would be vette hubs and rotors up front. Keep in mind the vette has 5 x 4.75 pattern and the V2 has 5 x 120 pattern.

I have Two V1 steering knuckles drilled out to accept the OEM V2 six piston calipers, Two V2 calipers, and Two V2 oem 15" rotors modified to fit the pre-09 hubs. This combination works with the C6Z wheels with hubcentric spacers and longer wheel studs. Also worked with Custom made 6 x 115 15" 2pc rotors and OEM V1 wheels.

shoot me a pm if you want to discuss.

Last edited by yooperLS6; 01-17-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

First picture is OEM V2 front calipers, corvette hubs, C6ZO6 wheels, and OEM V2 front rotor.

Last edited by yooperLS6; 01-17-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I am confused? soo what you need is
pre 09 c6 hubs
c6 rotors in the front and v2 rotors in the rear
Why couldnt you use gen 5 camaro rotors because dont they use the same calipers as the ctsv does??
that being said why couldnt you just swap the gen 5 camaro hubs over too?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnking3194
Ok so I am confused? soo what you need is
pre 09 c6 hubs
c6 rotors in the front and v2 rotors in the rear
Why couldnt you use gen 5 camaro rotors because dont they use the same calipers as the ctsv does??
that being said why couldnt you just swap the gen 5 camaro hubs over too?
Pre-09 hubs are needed for compatability of the wheel speed sensor's only.

For non roadrace application, any C5 or C6 hub will work whether you buy from GM or NAPA, Rock Auto, etc. Get front hubs for the front.

The V2 and 09 and newer vette's use a hub that has a smaller od where the rotor slides on. I did not check the 5th gen rotors but assume they are the same because the 5th gen guys were swtching to V2 6 piston calipers and rotors.

Use the OEM V1 calipers front and rear If you want to stay with OEM size V1 rotors. The OEM V1 brake package performs very well. With upgraded brake lines, fluid, race pads, and cooling, they are fantastic on the road course!

Rotors should be matched to your application. If street only, you could re-drill the V1 rotors to 5x4.75" bolt hole pattern (keep the tolerance as tight as your wheel studs will allow) By re-drilling the V1 rotors you will retain the use of the emergency brake.

or

The 06-09 C6 Z06 front rotors are another option for the front of the V1. The vette rotors are cheaper and do not perform as well as the V1 rotors. IIRC I had to put spacers between the steering knuckel and the V1 caliper where the caliper bolts on so the vette rotor would center in the caliper. The vette rotors are not compatable on the rear if you want to retain emergency brake.

or

you could purchase one or two pc aftermarket rotors from PerformanceAFX or Racing Brakes. Both vendors have provisions for rear emergency brakes.

Upgrade to OEM V2 6 piston calipers on the front will require drilling out the caliper mounting holes on the steering to use the 14mm V2 caliper mounting bolts. Modify V2 rotor as mentioned above or purchase aftermarket V2 rotors.

Hope this helps.

I will be selling my lightly used V2 front calipers, rotors, pads, and new set of V1 steering knuckles soon. Also have PerformanceAFX 5x4.75 rear rotors with emergency brake compatability. All you need is the hubs.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by yooperLS6
Pre-09 hubs are needed for compatability of the wheel speed sensor's only.

For non roadrace application, any C5 or C6 hub will work whether you buy from GM or NAPA, Rock Auto, etc. Get front hubs for the front.

The V2 and 09 and newer vette's use a hub that has a smaller od where the rotor slides on. I did not check the 5th gen rotors but assume they are the same because the 5th gen guys were swtching to V2 6 piston calipers and rotors.

Use the OEM V1 calipers front and rear If you want to stay with OEM size V1 rotors. The OEM V1 brake package performs very well. With upgraded brake lines, fluid, race pads, and cooling, they are fantastic on the road course!

Rotors should be matched to your application. If street only, you could re-drill the V1 rotors to 5x4.75" bolt hole pattern (keep the tolerance as tight as your wheel studs will allow) By re-drilling the V1 rotors you will retain the use of the emergency brake.

or

The 06-09 C6 Z06 front rotors are another option for the front of the V1. The vette rotors are cheaper and do not perform as well as the V1 rotors. IIRC I had to put spacers between the steering knuckel and the V1 caliper where the caliper bolts on so the vette rotor would center in the caliper. The vette rotors are not compatable on the rear if you want to retain emergency brake.

or

you could purchase one or two pc aftermarket rotors from PerformanceAFX or Racing Brakes. Both vendors have provisions for rear emergency brakes.

Upgrade to OEM V2 6 piston calipers on the front will require drilling out the caliper mounting holes on the steering to use the 14mm V2 caliper mounting bolts. Modify V2 rotor as mentioned above or purchase aftermarket V2 rotors.

Hope this helps.

I will be selling my lightly used V2 front calipers, rotors, pads, and new set of V1 steering knuckles soon. Also have PerformanceAFX 5x4.75 rear rotors with emergency brake compatability. All you need is the hubs.
Since the gen 5 camaro ss uses the same calipers as the v1s wouldn't you just need the hubs and rotors. Plus due to the fact the fact they are the same shouldnt the emergency brake work as well
Old 08-17-2016, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Default So did anybody from here accomplished the 5 lug swap ???

Originally Posted by thebigjmsho
z06 rotors won't work if you want a parking brake. 09-12 V2 rear rotors bolt on, fronts if you change caliper
...so would 09-12 v2 hubs all around would fit??
Old 08-17-2016, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by N G
Thanks for the info bigjmsho. Very informative. Putting together the shopping list now.

List for direct bolt on for 5 lug conversion (w/o loss of emergency brake)

1. pre-09 Z06 hubs
2. pre-09 Z06 front rotors
3. 09-12 V2 rear rotors

If I can make this work for under $1500 (minus new rims) then I'll be a happy man. I thought really hard about what you mentioned in regards to using the 09-12 rotors all the way around and then just changing the caliper in the front to make it work.... but anyway I can safely save a buck and forego extra steps in the conversion in this project I will have to do... as long as I am not reducing performance and safety.

This will be my last post on this subject until the project is complete. If anyone sees any concerns with what I am attempting, from a parts list and/or performance standpoint, feel free to chime in.... lots of smart people in this forum and I'll take any advice I can get that's productive.
So we're you able to make your swap can you give me details ?
Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 AM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...s-methods.html
I used the above thread when I did mine. I machined the new cadillac XLR hubs to match the 4th gen camaro ss rotor ID and ran base model camaro parking brake assemblies. Everything bolts up and functions perfectly. The only things I had to modify are cutting the dust shields from the parking brakes and the dust cap with sensor wires on the hubs needed to be clocked correctly to fit through the spindles. The caps pop right off with a flat blade screw driver. I used the racing brake rebadged hurst 2 piece rotors f/r, goodrich lines, hawk pads, and ARP extended studs and the entire project was sub 2k$.

Last edited by DOHCsky; 08-17-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, that's my thread. post up in there with questions to attempt keeping it contained to the most complete thread.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a set of C5 corvette hubs from ebay for $125 shipped for all four and redrilled my stock rotors. Everything works perfect with zero issues.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FD3SLS1
I picked up a set of C5 corvette hubs from ebay for $125 shipped for all four and redrilled my stock rotors. Everything works perfect with zero issues.
...so by redrillin them what size lug pattern do you use now? Like what kind of rims can I use? Camaro or like the new cts v wheel?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DOHCsky
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...s-methods.html
I used the above thread when I did mine. I machined the new cadillac XLR hubs to match the 4th gen camaro ss rotor ID and ran base model camaro parking brake assemblies. Everything bolts up and functions perfectly. The only things I had to modify are cutting the dust shields from the parking brakes and the dust cap with sensor wires on the hubs needed to be clocked correctly to fit through the spindles. The caps pop right off with a flat blade screw driver. I used the racing brake rebadged hurst 2 piece rotors f/r, goodrich lines, hawk pads, and ARP extended studs and the entire project was sub 2k$.
.....2k$ so it's not cheaper to just buy the the swap for 1300$ from creative steel?
Old 08-17-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go into the thread he posted. it gives you literally everything you need to know.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hm_p
.....2k$ so it's not cheaper to just buy the the swap for 1300$ from creative steel?
You don't get $1000 rotors or aftermarket pads and lines with the CS parts. It can be done way cheaper but I chose to upgrade parts while I was doing the conversion.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

i see you're new here (welcome to the site) but just a heads up..... you revived a thread where the last post was almost 3 years ago..... not sure what you searched but there's most likely newer threads available (made this year) that have more up to date info/options (see link in DOHC's post you quoted).

ok, moving on.....

Originally Posted by Hm_p
did you not read his entire post?

did you only read the last few words of "the entire project cost 2k$"?

his entire swap (not including wheels/tires) cost him $2k.... that was for hubs, machine work, fancy rotors, fancy brake lines, upgraded brake pads & extended wheel studs..... all you'd be getting from CS for $1300 would be hubs. their swap kit DOES NOT include rotors, pads, lines, etc.

Quick Reply: Write-up for 5-lug conversion for V1?