Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Thinking of picking this 05 CTS-V up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of picking this 05 CTS-V up...

STS Twin turbo 05 CTS-V... Motor is stock (Minus upgraded springs and ret. in the heads).. 60000 miles... is there anything I am missing here.. Figured I would go straight to the source!! This will be a Daily driver..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...9#full-history
Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Think his estimates are kinda high...no way in hell you're ever going to get 1,000 hp out of an STS kit since they used really small turbo's. It's not priced too bad though. The STS kits were few and short lived on the V's.

Check the vehicle classified's on here, a member is selling his custom twin turbo'd V and his has a forged 383 stroker with all the goodies with only about 25k miles. I'd go that route even if it is a few grand more.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMM
Think his estimates are kinda high...no way in hell you're ever going to get 1,000 hp out of an STS kit since they used really small turbo's. It's not priced too bad though. The STS kits were few and short lived on the V's.

Check the vehicle classified's on here, a member is selling his custom twin turbo'd V and his has a forged 383 stroker with all the goodies with only about 25k miles. I'd go that route even if it is a few grand more.
Yeah makes much more sense to go that route as well. Like your quote DMM. Or simply Barack Hussein is full of **** MY OPINION
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Like DMM said the car listed below is a better deal and a better car, but i've never been a fan of rear mount turbos.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_635wt_1167

I've ridden in the car. It's fast and built right.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo308
STS Twin turbo 05 CTS-V... Motor is stock (Minus upgraded springs and ret. in the heads).. 60000 miles... is there anything I am missing here.. Figured I would go straight to the source!! This will be a Daily driver..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...9#full-history
Yes,
2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Trader Rating: 9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like DMM said the car listed below is a better deal and a better car, but i've never been a fan of rear mount turbos.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_635wt_1167
This V is built a lot better..radiator kaboot....skinny tires but he seemed to hook ok..plus the rims on the other car are ugly as ****..especially the pimped out ones...that one u are looking at can't come close to the one posted by GulfM3...ask him what his reserve is..He can only tell u he can't..
Also he seems to me to be a decent family guy...There is one thing u can do that cost nothing...Where in tf are u located.... If u live mear Md. u might be interested in a platinium silver 2006..76mm rear turbo that's is all forged with nothing but the best...only 500 OC miles on her with 3 different boost settings, up to 700hp, any more a new fuel intank pump like the one in the add would have to be added to go over 700hp...My V is built for 300+ shot of nitrous, so u could always put a 100 shot on it and dr's to go easy 10's...Anyway good luck in your search and welcome to LS1-Tech..GREG O.

Last edited by GREG O.; 01-23-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:52 PM

Looks like I am gonna pull the trigger on Brian's car!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...rbo-383-a.html
Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want a daily driver, I wouldnt go built motor, Turbo route. Maybe supercharger if you really want the extra power.

No way in hell id get that Ebay car. A completely bullshitted description about 1000hp would push me away about the character of the seller. I also have a hard time believing 550hp (clearly talking bhp) at 4.5psi. My other problem is that he is guessing and not stating that he estimates. The reason you use WHP once modifications have been done is because, 99.9% of the time you have no way to get actual chp numbers.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dr.duct_mossburg
If you want a daily driver, I wouldnt go built motor, Turbo route. Maybe supercharger if you really want the extra power.

Why do you say this?.. If built right, they can be realible... Just curious..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo308
Why do you say this?.. If built right, they can be realible... Just curious..
Built motors typically dont have the longevity of a stock motor (150k miles). I would almost to venture and say that I doubt a built motor would ever go longevity of a stock motor. The only way I could see it doing so is on a very low boost, which in that case you have no need to build it. Turn the boost up and other variables come in to play and it nickle and dimes you.

I don't think anyone will disagree that 450whp with a maggie is probably going to be more reliable that 450whp on a twin turbo, fully built motor setup, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sts turbo V is down the road from me...... I could check it out if you want
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I hadn't already bought a V, the 383 turbo'd one would have me on a plane with a check in my pocket.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr.duct_mossburg
If you want a daily driver, I wouldnt go built motor, Turbo route. Maybe supercharger if you really want the extra power. ...
There's no question that a stock LS6 or LS2 has been fully sorted out by GM prior to being installed in our cars, and putting a maggie on top does not alter any of the more important moving parts.

I hadn't thought of it before, but are you suggesting that a "built" motor, even though it may be using more robust components, may well not be fully sorted out and may prove unreliable before it gets even close to that 150k point?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rand49er
There's no question that a stock LS6 or LS2 has been fully sorted out by GM prior to being installed in our cars, and putting a maggie on top does not alter any of the more important moving parts.

I hadn't thought of it before, but are you suggesting that a "built" motor, even though it may be using more robust components, may well not be fully sorted out and may prove unreliable before it gets even close to that 150k point?
Correct. The OP stated that this will be his daily driver. My thoughts were exactly what you stated in your initial paragraph. You can take a stock V1, with a motor that had millions and millions invested in it, Countless man hours and slap a proven Maggie 112 setup on it and get 450whp on a conservative build. No you aren't going to have a one off custom ride but I dont think a one off custom ride is ideal for daily driving. I wasn't bashing the linked vehicles, just stating that for a daily driver you cant contest Stock motor>Built motor and if you're looking in the 450-500whp range and want as much reliability as possible, stock motor-Maggie>Built motor, TT.

To be honest, I'm also not a fan at all of the STS kit. I think it was a dead end road with no real potential and feel a blower is a much more solid option. That being said I think it would be very interesting to see a little bit better engineered turbo kit fab'd up for the V1.

Coming from the Bi-Turbo S4 community, I saw the "impossible" happen. It went from a platform that people said you wouldn't be able to upgrade further from an OEM upgraded turbo because their simply wasn't room. The biggest turbo being ran for a while was a 43mm turbo that was comprised of the RS4 turbo housing, with the guts of the RS6 turbos. Now a few years later they're running GT28's and bigger Tial turbos with some serious quality products.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno why, but that diff girdle sketches me out. I've never read anything about them, but just looking at it makes me second guess
Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wcryan
I dunno why, but that diff girdle sketches me out. I've never read anything about them, but just looking at it makes me second guess
I haven't really done much reading on it, just what i've seen from recent threads; seems as if it's bandaiding a design flaw. I would do as most have done and go with a 9 inch or the 8.8. If I later decide to install all of this stuff that I have I would love to get a 9 inch, a good set of radials and see what kind of 60' times a V1 can throw down with the right setup.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is for sale and makes for a PERFECT daily driver with a little extra whenever you need it.

Just for reference, my 98 SS had at LEAST 50 bottles through the car from 75-150 shot by me and the previous owner(started being sprayed at 60k miles), i sold the car with the stock untouched motor that had 127k miles on it. The motor ran for another 20k and was pulled and put into a swap car. Reliability is all in the tune and the parts used, top notch parts mixed with a top notch tune and itll last a very long time.

Turbos, blowers, and especially nitrous get such a bad rep because people often dont use common sense when they put them on the car and use them.

Quick Reply: Thinking of picking this 05 CTS-V up...