Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bondurant Racing School V...is it a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bondurant Racing School V...is it a good buy?

I've been window shopping for a V for almost 3 years now. I'm not in country to often so I'm not too antsy to buy. But I ran across this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1426.l2649

I'm sure its been driven like it was stolen for the entire 6,892 miles. My guess is that it needs a clutch, brakes, and tires at a minimum.

What do the experienced V guys think this car might need? Is this price a little high for a car that has had the crap kicked out of it since it came off the show room floor?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its a salvaged title... red flag if you ask me... ask your insurance company if they will cover a salvaged titled vehicle first...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw this on AutoTrader...I would not want something that has been driven that hard for the last 5 years. And the title issues may make it hard for any decent kind of Finance/Insurence.

It will more then likely need a lot in the near furture. What you have listed would be the first things you will need to do. Then probably some more transmission work and rear end work. The is a number of things that will add up quick in the first year I bet.

The price is "cheap", but by the time you add in the new parts and any other issues that the car may have, you will be better off spending a little more money and a higher miles V. Something that has a clean title and been better taken car of. You can find a V1 with 40k to 60k miles on it for that price. But for the most part, those miles are mainly cruising around with a couple pulls mixed it. Not being thrashed around a track for its entire life.

My advice is pass on that one...unless you can get it for a few thousand dollars cheaper.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They have these on ebay every few weeks. Its salvage because of how its used not because of any accidents. Granted most of these cars only have 5000 miles on them. They are not cruising miles by any means))) You should have no issues getting covered for a salvage as I just got payed out by the insurance company for my accident and my v is salvage due to previous hail damage. My previous salvage has nothing to do with care but simply weather conditions so a salvage is not necessarily bad but I would def question it. My thought is unless you go see this car in person don't bid on it...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Teching In

I live a few miles from that school and my father in law use to work there. I have spent a small bit of time on that track in the V's and Vet's and I can tell you this... They drive the crap out of those cars with a capital “C”. Throttles are held wide open and engines are bouncing off the rev limiter all day and many times in 105+ degree heat. They drive them hard enough to go through tires and brakes in few days. They do a good job of maintaining the vehicles but even so you would just have to go for a few hot laps to really understand what those cars have been through. I know a few laps around that track and I am thinking, “Holy crap I feel sorry for this car!” I guess I would not buy one unless you plan to do extensive work to it and even then you are always going to be haunted by the title and odometer issues. Just does not seem worth it to me. -JMTC
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gold front calipers. You know what that means....
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Golden rear calipers too, you know what that means ...
Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The L/E training Crown Vic's and Impala's are dead at 6k miles, if they last that long, and go through tires and brakes weekly. Being driven hard is one thing...being trained on how to drive a car hard is another thing entirely.

This thing would be over priced at $1500 IMO.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Good replies. I'll keep my cash in my pocket and stay patient. Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Cadzila's Banned Troll Account

Truck engine......
Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JimmyHemroid
Truck engine......
When I bought my truck motor'd V1 in 2010 I looked up going to the Bondurant school and at that time the detailed specs of the V1 they used stated listed a ls3 motor. Those web links have since been taken down but from an insider it would be interesting to know the whole story around what the V1's consisted of when used and if motors were swapped to sell them now on all or just some etc... or perhaps it was a misprint all along.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

I've been to Bondurant for the vette school when I still had my C5. I used an brand new (no stickers yet) LS3 for the day and can tell you that after I drove that car in the 100+ temps for 8-10 hours there is no way I would buy one used from them. The brakes and tires were smoking when i got done with the autocross portion. I'm amazed that they can hold up for 6k miles. Maybe buying one for a track devoted car is one thing, but a daily driver, no way.

Jay
Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is nice to know that the V can withstand the abuse they give it though..I used to worry about how hard I was driving mine early on, as if it might not "last" or stand up to the abuse. In comparison to the daily driver or weekend warrior, these have been ragged to hell.

On the flipside, if all maintenance was done and everything (including engine) were new/refreshed, and I got an absolute steal on it, I would feel much better beating the **** out of it every day vs financing it and pampering it for 4 years because of that fact. I dont think I'll ever be able to beat on my V.

My mustang on the other hand, I show it no mercy. I couldn't break that car if I tried.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 AM

Not worth 20 grand!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jashearer
I've been to Bondurant for the vette school when I still had my C5. I used an brand new (no stickers yet) LS3 for the day and can tell you that after I drove that car in the 100+ temps for 8-10 hours there is no way I would buy one used from them. The brakes and tires were smoking when i got done with the autocross portion. I'm amazed that they can hold up for 6k miles. Maybe buying one for a track devoted car is one thing, but a daily driver, no way.

Jay
Brakes and tires are consumables.

I have found that a season of road course or AX duty is far less of a strain on any car than say 100 passes at the local drag strip.

With a Bond car, you know it has been serviced and maintained because this is how the company generates income. Without a car, a driving school makes no money.

The bigest thing for this particular car is signs of interior damage from a harness install and damage to the console and door panel from jamming your knees for lateral support.

If there are no signs of a roll cage, then the car probably didn't see a lot of time on the road course other than to ferry around students showing the line.

Finally, for 20K? there are better deals out there.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd buy the ****** to be honest.

i'm sure every V on this forum has been beat on for a good 7000
Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RADEoN
i'd buy the ****** to be honest.

i'm sure every V on this forum has been beat on for a good 7000
Agreed.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was to lazy to read everyone's post but with these cars it's true that every part of those 6k+ miles have been beating the hell out of the car, but. They maintain the vehicle's extremely well, and follow a strict maintenance plan. The only reason it's a salvage title is that every vehicle that is bought by the school is titled salvage. Doesn't mean it's ever been damaged/stolen or whatever. I wouldn't pay over 16 for it though because it still a salvage title so the resale is toast.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Teching In

The Highest bidder was $17,300. Didn't meet the reserve of $20,500.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Teching In

hell i got my 05 with 50000 miles for 18000. and it has a clean title.

Quick Reply: Bondurant Racing School V...is it a good buy?