Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

High flow cat q...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High flow cat q...

Going to be installing some high flow cats on the car behind the pacesetters. Was wondering if I have to have the second set of o2 sensors that used to go into our stock cats plugged into these new highflows or can I leave them off. Right now with no cats I obviously have my check engine light on. My front set of o2's is plugged into the pacesetters and my rear set hangs. Basically do I have to buy high flows with the nut hole for the sensors or can I just leave them off to solve this check engine light issue??? Car will be fixed soon and I need to get this **** right since I'm gonna have to get it inspected again...
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would think so if the inspection looks for cats in general and/or you still want them to work. If they don't look for cats then you could just have them turned off with a tune. I just installed kooks headers with hi-flow cat mid pipes which come with bungs for the rears and my understanding is the rear o2's are still turned on and functioning correctly after the tune. Prior to the tune it took about 2 days of driving to get the check engine light to come on.

edit:
Spoke to my tuner and he actually did turn off the rear o2 sensors, the shop owner had said differently prior to the tune, I suspect it just easier for them to do that as that seems common. Hopefully when the front sensors fail someday a code still gets tossed so I know they are bad.

Last edited by garrettg; 02-08-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garrettg
I would think so if the inspection looks for cats in general and/or you still want them to work. If they don't look for cats then you could just have them turned off with a tune. I just installed kooks headers with hi-flow cat mid pipes which come with bungs for the rears and my understanding is the rear o2's are still turned on and functioning correctly after the tune. Prior to the tune it took about 2 days of driving to get the check engine light to come on.

Well I know the inspection looks for cats visually and then they plug the piggyback in. I know they can turn them off with a tune however when the guys doing the inspection plug the piggyback in doesn't it show that the things were turned off??? or an error of some sort. I have a diablo trinity for the car which lets me turn these off temporarily but that wont work for inspection

let me rephrase not turn them off but turn the engine light off. you can only turn these off with a tune. They stopped allowing vendors to put that function on handheld tuners by law however you can still get diablo to install it for you if you send then your handheld
Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

When you say "piggyback" you mean the OBD II port, right? You need to turn off everything labeled "sensor 2". Then if everything else is correct you'll pass the OBD II test with the O2 sensors unplugged. The test will not show if something is turned off. Only if it is reporting something is wrong.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Twitch1
When you say "piggyback" you mean the OBD II port, right? You need to turn off everything labeled "sensor 2". Then if everything else is correct you'll pass the OBD II test with the O2 sensors unplugged. The test will not show if something is turned off. Only if it is reporting something is wrong.

Your last two sentences answered my q thanks man

Quick Reply: High flow cat q...