Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Liquid-intercooled procharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid-intercooled procharger

Posted on CadillacForums, but I think I'll get a response here.

How come I can't find any threads about installing an unintercooled procharger and just running water/meth injection? Seems like that would make a procharger install one of the simplest out there since you just gotta attach the procharger then run some custom piping from there to the intake. I am not sure if just gettign the head unit on is a huge pain, but seems like it can't be too bad and water/meth injection is very affective at cooling the charge. This could even come cheaper than an installed H/C setup.

You could run a 3-4 gallon tank in the spare tire area as I've seen people do which if you are only running like 8 pounds and it only sprays higher than 5psi or so using a progressive controller it should last quite a while.

Just thinking outloud. I'm looking to go H/C, but I already had a H/C 02 z06 so thinking about something different and the maggie is ridiculously expensive. It would be cheap to buy just a few parts from procharger and figure out the few feet of piping + $500 or so for a good meth kit.

Here are pictures I found with no accompanying information:
Procharger

Vortech:

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, you will probably be right at the price of a Maggie kit by the time you get a Pro-Charger done, even without the IC and piping. Centrifugal's are neither cheap or easy on these cars, that's the reason you don't see very many of them.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Procharger brackets put the head unit right on the inner fender/strut support, which makes for crappy intake and filter placement. Mo power put his intake through the fender and behind the front wheel, but it was a huge mod.

That vortech looks interesting, never seen that setup before.

I'd just be concerned that if you're drawing air from the 100+ degree engine bay, then compressing it (and heating it more) will the meth be able to decrease the IAT's enough without an intercooler?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will have a procharger build thread shortly
Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of those setups look like they could be almost perfect for air inlet. They look like they could both be drawing air from the factory air box duct the runs between the rad and core support. The only issues there i would think would be water pennetration for the filter if you could actually make a filter to fit in the area. Ive always wondered if you could build a pipe to fit through that spot and have the filter right behind the front bumper....

Id like to see more on both of those.....
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

Without an IC your IAT will be through the roof. Just the meth won't be enough I don't think.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Without an IC your IAT will be through the roof. Just the meth won't be enough I don't think.
From my very limited knowledge/research people are saying meth is more effective than an inter cooler as the meth can be colder while an inter cooler is always ambient. Only problem is watching ur level, but a 3 gallon tank would last a month or so beating on it from what I understand.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98cobra
I will have a procharger build thread shortly
Are you doing this with no inter cooler?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Any idea what bracket those could be? I think the got one flips the blower the other way, which Is what gives you room for the intake. They could be custom I guess...
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Procharger brackets put the head unit right on the inner fender/strut support, which makes for crappy intake and filter placement. Mo power put his intake through the fender and behind the front wheel, but it was a huge mod.

That vortech looks interesting, never seen that setup before.

I'd just be concerned that if you're drawing air from the 100+ degree engine bay, then compressing it (and heating it more) will the meth be able to decrease the IAT's enough without an intercooler?
Mo power CTS-V

This picture you can see where he cut the fender.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stone17
Mo power CTS-V

This picture you can see where he cut the fender
That's not really relevant here tho cuz with this install we would be mounting the supercharger in front of the bracket not behind it
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Another thought, you could clock the blower down slightly and blow straight into vortechs type 3 aftercooler. Seems like the aftercooler is shallow enough at 110mm to fit in the space in the front of the motor. The heat exchanger for the aftercooler is very small and I'm sure there would be no problem getting that in front of the radiator instead of a big intercooler.

This may end up costing 5 grand anyway, but I think personally I'd rather have it than a h/c setup.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

On the optimistic side, suppose it does end up costing $5k. Wouldn't this route provide more boost even considering an 8" crank pulley and 2.6" drive pulley?

Of course, much more than about 8-9 psi, and the strength of the motor's lower end may be exceeded.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rand49er
On the optimistic side, suppose it does end up costing $5k. Wouldn't this route provide more boost even considering an 8" crank pulley and 2.6" drive pulley?

Of course, much more than about 8-9 psi, and the strength of the motor's lower end may be exceeded.
I have no idea what the boost would end up being. I would have to talk to procharger or vortech about that. I would really only wanna run 6-7 lbs on my dd.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

C4 vette community when going supercharger usually run just meth as there is trouble with airflow for an intercooler. Can be done but not as safe. Read as pump failure or running out of meth.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZONick
I have no idea what the boost would end up being. I would have to talk to procharger or vortech about that. I would really only wanna run 6-7 lbs on my dd.
You're kinda defeating the purpose of going with a Procharger if you only want 6-7 lbs on the street. A Procharger is not going to even wake up until around 2500 RPM, which does not help these heavy (2 ton plus) cars get up and go, or keep pulling with less than 10 lbs of boost.

I think you really need to meet up with someone who has a Maggie and go for a ride b/c you're going to end up doing $10k worth of work when you could have been satisfied with a 112 Maggie for less than half the price. I have built both and they are different animals all together.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
You're kinda defeating the purpose of going with a Procharger if you only want 6-7 lbs on the street. A Procharger is not going to even wake up until around 2500 RPM, which does not help these heavy (2 ton plus) cars get up and go, or keep pulling with less than 10 lbs of boost.

I think you really need to meet up with someone who has a Maggie and go for a ride b/c you're going to end up doing $10k worth of work when you could have been satisfied with a 112 Maggie for less than half the price. I have built both and they are different animals all together.
I would love a Maggie but the cheapest I can find is 6300 + supporting mods and tune. That's too much . I'm very impulsive and may just end up with a h/c kit one morning...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZONick
I would love a Maggie but the cheapest I can find is 6300 + supporting mods and tune. That's too much . I'm very impulsive and may just end up with a h/c kit one morning...
Impulsiveness aside, used Maggies usually come up by the handful b/c of people selling their rides, and they are usually on the order of around $3k, which really isn't too bad. Take the tune out of the equation b/c you are going to have to do that if you go H/C.

Not trying stop you from doing what makes you happy, but it would really suck to get 5 weeks and $5k into a 7 lb Procharger only to have a $3k Maggie kit come up that would have made you happy.

Edit: Have you called Hendrix Engineering? Thomas used to be able to get some sick deals on these things.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
Impulsiveness aside, used Maggies usually come up by the handful b/c of people selling their rides, and they are usually on the order of around $3k, which really isn't too bad. Take the tune out of the equation b/c you are going to have to do that if you go H/C.

Not trying stop you from doing what makes you happy, but it would really suck to get 5 weeks and $5k into a 7 lb Procharger only to have a $3k Maggie kit come up that would have made you happy.

Edit: Have you called Hendrix Engineering? Thomas used to be able to get some sick deals on these things.
I talked to Hendrix they are over $6k now. I can have a h/c parts, installed, and tuned for $5k flat. brand new maggie would be $7-8k easy.

I do love PD blowers. As you can see in my sig I had a heavy lighting pushed by a ported eaton at 18#'s of boost. I love the torque curve and I love the whine. I could look out for a maggie in the classifieds. Just depends if one pops up before I get tired of waiting...

As it stands if a good deal popped up on a maggie I'd probably buy it.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
You're kinda defeating the purpose of going with a Procharger if you only want 6-7 lbs on the street. A Procharger is not going to even wake up until around 2500 RPM, .
I never understood this..... it may be because i came from turbo cars but in my eyes the only people who need power below 2500 are the ones that autocross. I love my power band and it comes on right around 2700 and pulls to redline. Im also a person who downshifts to run my car and when i do so its useually right around 3k when i hit it. I would tend to think that if he has a good direct flow of air for the intake side of the charger that 6-7 lbs would not even be makeing the charger work and intern keep iat's down... am i wrong?

Quick Reply: Liquid-intercooled procharger