Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rad fan question?/idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rad fan question?/idea

I was thinking tonight about moving the radiator fans from the engine bay to the front of the ac condenser and radiator and switch to a set of slim line fans that push air through from the front. Doing this would free up some room for extra piping possibilities in front of the motor or make more room for the aluminum radiator or whatever you would like to do with the area.

I had planned on buying a couple slim line fans and getting some connectors just like the ones for the stock fans so i could just plug and play and put my stockers back in place if need be later on. this way the slim line fans would work as the normal fans do with there relay switch.

Any ideas, suggestions? Why it wouldnt work?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run two of these..
more cfm than the stock shrouded pull fans. (3400cmf if i remember correctly)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/16925/10002/-1

I didnt bother with the wiring harness connectors, as one is a male and one is a female setup on the factory fan assembly.

Beauty about our cars vs others (e.g. firebirds/cameros) is that our fusing is setup for 30A per fan, not 20 like others are. so no need to rewire with relay or up fusing on thin wire.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Launching!

nice, thats what i wanted to hear, do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06vLo
nice, thats what i wanted to hear, do you have any pics of your setup?
Ill try to answer everything in one swoop.

I dont have any clear pictures to show you how they are mounted. There is a huge intercooler in front of it all (it was not assembled out of the car).
The drivers side sits higher than the passenger.

Do NOT go with 70 dollar cheapie things.. 1400cfm is no where near enough for a push.

I had bought some signal Ducap 1550cfm (12" and one 10") cheap, noisy as hell, and would not keep up. sitting in traffic at a mere 75-80F° and the temp would continue to climb.
Here is what they looked like.
** these documents are way out of date, some have bad info after trial and error over time... only to give you an idea.

I had found that the STOCK pull (shrouded) fans for these cars pull a whopping 3300cfm combined.
You can not shroud a push style, hence why they are not as efficient at moving air.

Only downfall to two 12" is they do not quite fit without some trimming and manipulating. Only if Derale made 10" as well.. 12 and a 10 no problem.

In the end its up to you... but its not fun removing fans with a procharger system in there because they dont keep up... all in the name of saving a few bucks.

Quick Reply: Rad fan question?/idea