Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch pedal issues. Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal issues. Please help!!!

Ok, so I posted up about this a while back, but never received any concrete info to narrow down my problem.

My issue is, under hard driving, my clutch pedal goes dead to the point to where it is damn near to the floor. For instance, I can get on it from 1st gear & bang 2nd gear, but after that, the clutch pedal is dead & stays that way until I let off the gas, coast the car & the rpms drop down a bit. Also, my pedal just all around feels like I lost some travel, & the clutch feels like it grabs pretty much right off the floor even in normal driving. My trans feels notchier than it used to, & my car is also VERY hard to get in reverse at times. When I 1st start the car up in the morning, I actually cannot get into reverse at all unless I throw it in gear before I start the car.

I thought the slave cylinder was my issue, so I replaced that about 1k miles ago, but it still feels the same, if not worse than it did with the old slave. My clutch kit is an LS7 with roughly 12-13k miles on it, & everything else is stock.

Does this sound like a Master Cylinder issue, clutch issue, or an actual transmission issue? My car has 62k miles on it...

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here's the scoop:

i rebuilt my transmission, and installed an ls7 fly, slave, clutch, pressure plate, and brand new master. (not because of the sticking pedal) the pedal still sticks, or has stuck, but not nearly as much as it did on the LS6 setup.

This is just what happens to almost (maybe all?) v1's. you can bleed your clutch, as you may have a little air in the line, or maybe add some fluid while it's stuck and pump the pedal, but it's something a lot of us have learned to deal with.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RADEoN
here's the scoop:

i rebuilt my transmission, and installed an ls7 fly, slave, clutch, pressure plate, and brand new master. (not because of the sticking pedal) the pedal still sticks, or has stuck, but not nearly as much as it did on the LS6 setup.

This is just what happens to almost (maybe all?) v1's. you can bleed your clutch, as you may have a little air in the line, or maybe add some fluid while it's stuck and pump the pedal, but it's something a lot of us have learned to deal with.
Thanks for the reply. The weird thing is, I bought the car with this setup, (50kmiles at the time) & it worked FLAWLESSLY for about 8-9k miles, no sticking or dead pedal at all. The issue 1st appeared at around 58k miles & it got progressively worse & now its just out of hand. The problem is so bad now, that I can't drive my car aggressively whatsoever because the car won't go into gear at all once I get to my 3rd gear shift. What is the point on owning a cammed V if I can't drive it hard from time to time ya know?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh i didn't realize it happens all the time. when you said "hard driving" i assumed you meant just straight throttle rape.

yeah you certainly have a leak somewhere, IMO. check up inside your dashboard for fluid, look along the firewall inside and out, follow the trace down to where the slave connects to the master.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

oh i didn't realize it happens all the time. when you said "hard driving" i assumed you meant just straight throttle rape.

yeah you certainly have a leak somewhere, IMO. check up inside your dashboard for fluid, look along the firewall inside and out, follow the trace down to where the slave connects to the master.
Well, it doesn't necessarily stick in normal driving, but the pedal feels different than it did before the issue & it feels like I lost some pedal travel, sort of like the clutch releases closer to the floor...

BUT, under hard driving, forget about it, may as well not even try to shift the car or drive it hard LOL... Because the pedal goes dead pretty much after the 1st shift.

I don't see any hydraulic fluid leaks like I did when the slave leaked before I replaced it. If the MC is leaking, will there be evidence like fluid on the floor?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

possibly, or in your bell housing if it's your slave, or in the kick panel directly under the dash. when's the last time you did a fluid change?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

possibly, or in your bell housing if it's your slave, or in the kick panel directly under the dash. when's the last time you did a fluid change?
Slave & Fluid were replaced about 1k-2k miles ago.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most definitely a hydraulic issue. I had the same thing happen to a '00 WS6. I would swap the master & bleed the hell outta it!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Launching!

i use the sticky clutch pedal as my launch control lol it only does it at like a 3800 - 4000 launch and mine comes right up as soon as i hit like 20 mph and is at normal clutch (disengaged) spot and then i bang second ?? i have the stock clutch and ive made well over 200 passes that way .... so idk i know its an issue w almost all the v1's but try pumping the cluch before you smack it. i do a few good pumps and it wont stay on the floor .. if that dosent work id fully bleed your clutch .. like get a bottle of DOT-3 and keep bleeding till you are certin there is no air .
Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

OK, Thanks again for the info guys... I have another question. I am also seeing info about LS7 clutches causing issues, mainly with the clutch releasing too close to the floor & shifting issues at high RPM's. I have heard about the clutch needing to be shimmed?

Any of this sound familiar?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

My clutch pedal does this once in a while too, but different circumstances seem to cause it. I've found that mine does it only after long right turns (think winding on-ramp). My clutch action moves right down to the floor, although it still shifts normally. I can pull the pedal back up with my toe though, and the action moves back up to a normal height. Can you do this? Or does the pedal just fall back down after you lift it?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wes8398
My clutch pedal does this once in a while too, but different circumstances seem to cause it. I've found that mine does it only after long right turns (think winding on-ramp). My clutch action moves right down to the floor, although it still shifts normally. I can pull the pedal back up with my toe though, and the action moves back up to a normal height. Can you do this? Or does the pedal just fall back down after you lift it?
When my clutch pedal goes dead, I can lift my pedal back up with my foot & it won't fall back down, but the pedal feels as if it's dead still, like it has excessive play. I also won't be able to shift the car out of gear (if I leave it in gear during a pull) or I won't be able to get it back in gear (if I put it in neutral) until after the engine speed slows down to near an idle.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Here is another strange detail about my setup. When I purchased the car, it was already modded, so it had the LS7 clutch/flywheel/slave installed already. My slave then started to leak about 8k miles after my purchase, so I had a shop install a brand new stock LS6 V slave, unaware that there was a shim/spacer needed when using a stock V slave with an LS7 clutch? I'm pretty sure this has something to do with my pedal height issues, & probably the notchiness, but I thought it wouldn't work whatsoever without the spacer installed???

I doubt that issue has anything to do with the dead pedal though would it?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

I have the same symptoms. Been dealing with it for a few weeks. Had the clutch fluid replaced and bled...no dice. I just ordered a master, I'm sure that's it.

It's fine each morning or after its sat for a while, then once warmed up the pedal falls to the floor....have to lift it up and pump the pedal for the rest of the drive...pretty annoying.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

I was worried I too would have problems with mine, but after seeing you put an LS6 V slave in, I know it is your problem. THe stock Slave cylinder is on the right, the LS7 slave on the left. therre is more than an inch difference when fully extended. Get a spacer, saw one on one of these posts a guy had for like $30, or get the LS7 slave.
Attached Thumbnails Clutch pedal issues. Please help!!!-2012-03-26_21.22.30.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Banned

a;so get a tick adjustable master.. no more issues..
Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's the scoop:

Something you just learn to deal with? Lol. It,s just a car not some living being. If it is broke, fix it. That's how to Deal with it.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 64nova_wagon
a;so get a tick adjustable master.. no more issues..
Or make your own adjustable master...
(https://ls1tech.com/forums/16132854-post110.html)

Last edited by MisterD; 04-04-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue with one of my LS7 clutches. It is not "definitely a hydraulic issue". You may find that the pressure plate is shot. That was what happened to mine. The symptoms started out as the pedal sticking to the floor then progressed to after running through first and second I couldn't even push the pedal in at all. I would suggest replacing the pressure plate and disc assembly while you are in there installing a spacer or LS7 slave. You may not know the exact cause, but I'd be willing to bet your problems go away.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I had the same issue with one of my LS7 clutches. It is not "definitely a hydraulic issue". You may find that the pressure plate is shot. That was what happened to mine. The symptoms started out as the pedal sticking to the floor then progressed to after running through first and second I couldn't even push the pedal in at all. I would suggest replacing the pressure plate and disc assembly while you are in there installing a spacer or LS7 slave. You may not know the exact cause, but I'd be willing to bet your problems go away.
Thanks for the reply....

This sounds EXACTLY like my issue. After running through 1st-2nd at high RPM's, my pedal sticks to the floor & the car pretty much CANNOT be shifted until the engine slows down to damn near idle speed.

I'm thinking about replacing the entire LS7 setup with a monster stage 2 & calling it a day. Since I thought I had a hydraulic issue as well, I was gonna throw in a new stock MC, but maybe I should try the new clutch out 1st before I throw $$$ at parts that may not be needed?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal issues. Please help!!!