Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Another exhaust thread.... Trying to decide what to run. Suggestions???

Old 04-09-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another exhaust thread.... Trying to decide what to run. Suggestions???

Well guys,
Car is currently running OBX 1-7/8 stainless headers with no cats (just those little fake cat OBX resonator connector pipes), magnaflow X pipe and no mufflers with ugly factory tips. Everything is 2.5". The sound at idle with this setup is awesome but driving it, it gets pretty obnoxious especially in that 1800-2100 range where it gets really raspy/blatty.

Im trying to decide on a set of mufflers and some nice polished dual wall slash cut 4" or slightly larger tips to run. I'm considering pretty much everything under the sun. I've been looking for a good deal on a used aftermarket CTS-V catback (magnaflow, B&B, Corsa, etc) but haven't found any deals so now i'm considering just ordering the mufflers and tips i want and welding them in. Just trying to keep it affordable.

Considering...
-Magnaflow magnapacks (smallest ones)
-Spintechs
-Borla stingers
-Dynomax bullets
-Mac flowpaths
-Bassani race mufflers
-GHL bullets
-SLP resonators
-etc

Last car had kooks LT's, no cats, x-pipe and magnapacks and it sounded great! A little quieter than i expected once i installed them considering the magnapacks are short straight through mufflers but they sound great with a deep and aggressive tone and they scream over 3k rpms. I'm fine running that setup again but before i do, I want to explore all options. I want something LOUD but with a nice deep tone without that raspy blatty noise in the 1800-2100 rpm range.

LMK what you guys think or what you would run. Looking to get the exhaust done asap. I've been on youtube listening to exhaust clips of GTO's, CTS-V's, Vettes, etc all morning.

LMK what mufflers/tips you guys would run!!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

My Full 3" B&B setup (1 3/4 LT's. O/R X) sounds AWESOME!!! Probably one of the best sounding setups I've ever heard on any type of car, BUT I will definitely admit that the low RPM drone is terrible!!! At times I want it to be a tad quieter, but it just sounds so good & I don't wanna change it!

Here is a vid just in case you haven't heard the setup yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m838eWDh4Xw
Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd love to find a deal on the 3" B&B catback with x-pipe that i could just bolt up. I had B&B on a vette I used to have and it was a really nice system! I'm just trying to avoid spending $1000 or more for a catback on this car considering the other things i'm trying to do with it. And also... Although the B&B sounds really nice and is pretty loud without cats, I could handle a little louder setup.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I'd love to find a deal on the 3" B&B catback with x-pipe that i could just bolt up. I had B&B on a vette I used to have and it was a really nice system! I'm just trying to avoid spending $1000 or more for a catback on this car considering the other things i'm trying to do with it. And also... Although the B&B sounds really nice and is pretty loud without cats, I could handle a little louder setup.
I feel ya... If I didn't buy the car with this entire setup on it, I probably would have never bought B&B because it's out of my price range...

My buddy had a Magnaflow setup on his cammed 05 V. It sounded good, but very conservative compared to my B&B...
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow! That does sound good! U should sell it to me and go corsa with no drone. Haha and yeah... I had the magnaflow on my old car and hacked the mag muffs off and replaced them with magnapacks. Made it much more aggressive! That's why I wanna go that route or with something similar. Just a resonator type setup to keep the tone where it needs to be but still as loud as possible right before the point of downright obnoxious. Lol
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to be completely and utterly offensive, but that kind of noise is freaking obnoxious. Not only that, you're on the verge of instantly damaging the hearing of pedestrians and bicyclists as you pass by, waking up your neighbors, and damaging the environment due to your lack of catalytic converters. Save it for the track.

Loud ≠ fast or cool.

By the way, if you're trying to reduce cabin drone, buy yourself 50 square feet of B-Quiet Extreme and 27 square feet of Vcomp. Start in the rear seat and work your way up to the rear deck. If you have any left over, hit the doors and floor.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-09-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Not to be completely and utterly offensive, but that kind of noise is freaking obnoxious. Not only that, you're on the verge of instantly damaging the hearing of pedestrians and bicyclists as you pass by, waking up your neighbors, and damaging the environment due to your lack of catalytic converters. Save it for the track.

Loud ≠ fast or cool.

By the way, if you're trying to reduce cabin drone, buy yourself 50 square feet of B-Quiet Extreme and 27 square feet of Vcomp. Start in the rear seat and work your way up to the rear deck. If you have any left over, hit the doors and floor.
Not sure if you were talking to the OP, or me, but the part in my video that is VERY loud is with my cutouts wide open, which I agree is obnoxiously loud. You can hear the difference when they are open as opposed to closed like they were in the beginning of the vid. I rarely ever drive around like that, maybe just open them up at idle from time to time. B&B exhaust is definitely on the deeper side tone wise, but I wouldn't call it obnoxious whatsoever..

My car already has extra sound deadener throughout the cabin, but B&B exhaust just drones period I guess? It's actually quieter in the cabin with the cutouts slightly cracked.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

For the number of people running around here without cats, I don't think one car having them as opposed to not will make a difference. Lol

As far as the volume, I agree exhaust can be obnoxious which is exactly why this thread was posted because I feel that mine is on the obnoxious side at this point. Sounds good with the cam but just a little much for me.

To me, the combo u have EPIK is perfect! The B&B is def tolerable but still loud and aggressive and the cutouts are there for when u wanna wake the dead and really hear that cam hit. That would be my ideal setup if I wanted to spend all the $$$ to do it but I'm trying to put together a nice exhaust on somewhat of a budget. I just can't justify spending $1000-$1500 for a catback. If I don't find anything soon, I'll prob settle on a magnaflow because it's good quality, looks good, sounds good and can be had new for $600 or so which is reasonable for a quality stainless system. Then I'll swap magnapacks or something in later if needed or just spend the money on some cutouts like u did and have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just cut all of the exhaust off my car yesterday, re-welded and added an x-pipe.

Welding on flowmasters later this week.

I know most people don't like them, but I had them around and why not.....if you want to hear it let me know. No headers....
Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 54inches
I just cut all of the exhaust off my car yesterday, re-welded and added an x-pipe.

Welding on flowmasters later this week.

I know most people don't like them, but I had them around and why not.....if you want to hear it let me know. No headers....
Let's hear it!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I like my magnaflows. I bought the cat back system with the x-pipe and it sounds good. As soon as my OBX catless 1 7/8 headers come off back order I will take a video and post it. No idea when they will be off of back order, I was told 2 months. They charged me already and 1 months down.

Edit:I found my magnaflow used for 400$.
Also I believe the magnaflow is 2.5 pipes until the tips. Which if your aiming for later performance is something to think about.
As far as cut out, dont forget the cheap option (the bolt on plate cuttoffs) I know I should not say that on a cadillac forum but if you are like me and only need the cutouts at the track they are a viable option.

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 04-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Flowmasters sound surprisingly even though a lot of people seem to hate on them. Heard flows and Mac muffs on a couple LS cars and they sound good.

The LT's, no cats, x and magnaflow setup I've heard and it sounds great. Just a little on the tame side for my liking but it's fairly loud and has a really nice tone.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

High flow cats, stock resonator, and muffler delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4JU1sbSFjA
Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BUKSING
Let's hear it!
Coming soon to a computer near you.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
High flow cats, stock resonator, and muffler delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4JU1sbSFjA
No offense, but I think more people have this than they do stock exhaust and it is boring now.

Mine had cats and straight pipes.

Added a REAL x-pipe and it sounds so much better now. Of course right now, mine dump after the diff and drones like a swarm of bees, but sounds so sweet with the x-pipe; never thought it would make that much different.

I also changed out the O2s, not sure if that helped, but definitely idles, shifts and runs better.....hopefully flows installed in the next couple of days....
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I like the sound of the stock resonator only. It's good as a cheap alternative that still sounds good.

Which flows u gonna run on yours? I was actually considering going chambered on this car. Been running straight through on all recent exhaust changes but after listening to some clips, the Mac flowpaths and super 44 flows actually sound pretty mean with headers, no cats and x-pipe. If I go that route, I think I'll run Mac. Slightly smaller and they have a little different/more aggressive tone IMO.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

The originals. 2 chamber. 2.5 I/O They came off my BBC Suburban. lol

Wit the cats going out, I have to justify getting Kooks, especially since we are saving for a newer house and I need down payment money.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Well if u got em already... might as well use em.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
Coming soon to a computer near you.

No offense, but I think more people have this than they do stock exhaust and it is boring now.

Mine had cats and straight pipes.

Added a REAL x-pipe and it sounds so much better now. Of course right now, mine dump after the diff and drones like a swarm of bees, but sounds so sweet with the x-pipe; never thought it would make that much different.

I also changed out the O2s, not sure if that helped, but definitely idles, shifts and runs better.....hopefully flows installed in the next couple of days....
No offense taken, i cant say ive EVER seen another V in person with this setup. If you base your stats on what you see online good luck finding a combo that no ones done. Also, if you enjoy spending $800+ on a catback for zero HP gains then more power to ya. BTW from what I know, I was the very first person on this forum or cadillac forums to ever do that combo because everyone took the stock resonator out which already has a built in x inside of it.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I've only seen a couple people keep that stock resonator. Either way its a good sounding setup for little cost.

I may just leave my exhaust as is and throw some nicer tips on it. Or maybe just weld some dynomax bullets in to calm it down a tad. Like u said man, i cant be bothered to spend a ton of money on something that will show little to no gain. Thats why i was hoping to find a used system cheap. Thats the only way id do it.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BUKSING
Let's hear it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBbK3vd5zg

cammed, long tubes, catless connectors, magnaflow xpipe in place of the resonator, gutted stock mufflers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another exhaust thread.... Trying to decide what to run. Suggestions???