Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS7 clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS7 clutch installed

So far it feels really good. All the clunkiness has gone away during shifting and shutdown

Only issue is that the pedal engagement is really close to the floor

LS7 setup
29LB flywheel
LS7 slave
LAPD speed bleeder

Anyone who is using the same setup, did ur pedal come up after a few hundred miles?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yea when it wears in a little bit, it'll get a ton better. IIRC (I haven't driven my V in 2 months), mine is around 3/4 from the top. Very easy to drive.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to try bleeding it immediately after you drive a few miles.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

How far would you say yours was from the floor when you first got the clutch installed?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wcryan
How far would you say yours was from the floor when you first got the clutch installed?
Mine fully engages about 2" off the floor, which means that I occasionally have to double-pump to put the car into gear on a cold start.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arent ours adjustable? I know in my legacy it was and the evo shop put it on the floor(no modulation, just kick clutch put into next gear and let all the way out)... and I had it moved back towards the top.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

My pedal was engaging on the floor also and I don't even know when exactly the pedal came back up to tell you the truth, but it did take about 200 miles.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

This older post is about the same thing, I am in the middle of my LS7 clutch swap and since I am also doing a 9" at the same time, the first 500 miles will truly be break in time for the new components.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ew-clutch.html
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good info WC.

Also, if you pull the master cylinder out, you can cut off the end and thread it to 3/8 and then screw on a female threaded spherical rod end with a nut and you now have an adjustable MC.

Be sure to measure twice and cut once. I would think you would cut it long so you could adjust more, but ultimately the MC rod would be shorter to get the clutch pedal out a little bit.

With that said, wait the 2-500 miles and then see, most people say that it is not stock, but alot better......
Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

AHH! Just when I think I have all the pros and cons weighed out (and am on the very brink of pulling the trigger on buying all the necessary parts), I come across something new that's an issue with this mod. Once again it looks like I'll be postponing this until I can find out what's up with this pedal engagement issue. I'm not all that agreeable to dropping nearly $1,000 into a mod that results in my clutch engaging an inch off the floor... :@
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

You need to search a little more(no worries ) as almost every thread talks about the clutch engagement, but also in those threads, it is mentioned that it improves after 2-500 miles.

And it is really NOT an issue, if you ask me. but then again, I have not installed mine yet, but my Slave is dying and the pedal is almost on the floor anyways.

Just an fyi here; read this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-flywheel.html
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes8398
AHH! Just when I think I have all the pros and cons weighed out (and am on the very brink of pulling the trigger on buying all the necessary parts), I come across something new that's an issue with this mod. Once again it looks like I'll be postponing this until I can find out what's up with this pedal engagement issue. I'm not all that agreeable to dropping nearly $1,000 into a mod that results in my clutch engaging an inch off the floor... :@
It's seems pretty standard that there is a low clutch engagement for the first several hundred miles but it comes up over time. Pretty much every single person that had done this mod absolutely loves it once it's broken in.

I'm picking my car up today or tomorrow from the shop and the LS7 clutch is one of the things I had done so I'll be sure to chime in with my results.

EDIT: You beat me by a second 54inches!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

There's an echo in here!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wcryan
So far it feels really good. All the clunkiness has gone away during shifting and shutdown

Only issue is that the pedal engagement is really close to the floor

LS7 setup
29LB flywheel
LS7 slave
LAPD speed bleeder

Anyone who is using the same setup, did ur pedal come up after a few hundred miles?
I have an exedy clutch with an ls7 slave. I panicked at first also (mine was less than an inch off the floor), yes it will get better. Will not be as high as your stock clutch but you will get used to it pretty quickly. Mine took almost 1k miles to break in. Too much highway mileage.

BTW our clutch pedals/slaves are non-adjustable (unless you start adding/removing spacers to the slave).
Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 54inches
There's an echo in here!
yep there sure is......already been covered twice now sweety!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

^. We understand that. But I made this thread to give my thoughts. That's all. And threw a question in too
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 54inches
You need to search a little more(no worries ) as almost every thread talks about the clutch engagement, but also in those threads, it is mentioned that it improves after 2-500 miles.

And it is really NOT an issue, if you ask me. but then again, I have not installed mine yet, but my Slave is dying and the pedal is almost on the floor anyways.

Just an fyi here; read this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-flywheel.html
Thanks. I'd read that thread already. And trust me, I've done my share of searching and reading threads. I knew the pedal engagement thing was an issue, but I wasn't sure to what extent. It's tough to tell just how much of an issue it is when there are people offering opinions, as if they have direct experience, when in reality they don't even have this setup installed (yet). As with anything, there's just a lot of contradictory info. The more you read, the more contradiction you find. One of the few constants seems to be that people are complaining and/or concerned about where the clutch action is after this mod. That's concerning to me too.

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
It's seems pretty standard that there is a low clutch engagement for the first several hundred miles but it comes up over time. Pretty much every single person that had done this mod absolutely loves it once it's broken in.

I'm picking my car up today or tomorrow from the shop and the LS7 clutch is one of the things I had done so I'll be sure to chime in with my results.

EDIT: You beat me by a second 54inches!
I'd love to hear your feedback.

So if so many people are saying that, even after the break-in period, their clutch engagement isn't where it was with the OEM clutch; then why aren't more people suggesting spacers? There's someone here that's got "Fuzzy" in their username who seems to be one of the very few who keeps preaching that even those who install the LS7 slave should still install a spacer. He seems to be taking a lot of heat for that opinion, but the more I read around about clutch engagement pedal height, the more I tend to think he's right... :shrug:

Last edited by wes8398; 04-05-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

^. It's low enough right now where I think he's right too
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about you guys... but my pedal engagement height was never problematic.
I have an LS7 slave with no spacer.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

glad to see you went with the stock flywheel rather than the ram. My tuner told me it would be a much better daily driver with a cam setup if I strayed away from the ram. Are people feeling more power overall from this swap? Granted you are not gonna see anything but maybe 2 hp on the dyno. I am going to be doing this honestly to just get rid of that damn clunk. Also they have the Katech spacer and then I see some ppl buying the whole ls7 slave. What the heck is the difference?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dimensions, really. The LS7 corvette slave is much taller than the stock slave and (I'm assuming) makes up for the difference in thickness of the flywheel.

I replaced my clutch at 98k, so I chose to replace the slave altogether. Better to have a brand new piece in there anyway. It's one of those PITA to replace parts, and I don't want to drop the trans any more times than absolutely necessary.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch installed