Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Grinding/Vibrating sound during right turns

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding/Vibrating sound during right turns

I tried a search first but it's not easy just typing "grinding" and "vibrating" and coming up with hundreds of posts to sift through haha.

Any time I make a right turn, I get what sounds like grinding coming from (I believe) the passenger front wheel area. It is much worse when I make a right turn going down hill, like at my parking garage at work.
I pulled the wheel off the other day finally to visually inspect but nothing popped out to me. Somebody had told me he saw sparks once during the turn.
Anybody ever experience this? Suspension? Hub? Something else?

TIA
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Check the hub. jack it up and see if there is any play in the wheel. I am willing to bet thats your issue. Unless your brakes are that bad. If there is no visible signs of rubbing it almost has be the hub. Good luck
Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket wheels?

Put the front end on stands and shake the wheel. If the wheel and the rotor both shake, its the hub.

When you remove the wheel, check to see if anything looks a bit smoother and shiny compared to the rest, and check the back of the wheel to see if its grinding on anything.

This a V1 or V2?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Wheel Bearing?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry, it's an 04 with stock wheels. Brakes are getting close to replacing but I do not think those are the problem at this point.
I had the wheel off and tried to shake the wheel like I was wrestling with it if that makes sense. Didn't feel any unusual play in it. What other signs would a bad hub bearing show? I do notice that when I am driving down the road and pass something that reflects sound (say divider or something) it sounds like it's squeaking on that side. Like a chirp, chirp, chirp thing.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually when turning right it relieves the pressure on the passenger side and transfers weight to the driver side causing the passenger wheel bearing to not make noise and the driver side to make more.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would look into what has been stated above first.

Have you tried pushing your clutch in when making a right turn to see if the "grinding" stops?

When my car was making a grinding sound only on right turns, I noticed that if I would press the clutch in the noise would stop. Turns out that my dual-mass flywheel was failing.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam3439
I would look into what has been stated above first.

Have you tried pushing your clutch in when making a right turn to see if the "grinding" stops?

When my car was making a grinding sound only on right turns, I noticed that if I would press the clutch in the noise would stop. Turns out that my dual-mass flywheel was failing.
Interesting correlation. I will try that today and see what happens.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Derek98z
I had the wheel off and tried to shake the wheel like I was wrestling with it if that makes sense.
I'm confused with this. Did you leave the wheel on but get it in the air and shake? Or did you pull the wheel and try to shake the hub by itself? If the first good.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

both actually. Had the wheel in the air and tried to shake it. No movement. Took the wheel off and grabbed the brake to do the same thing with no movement. Although I've never had a bad hub, I'd assume it is pretty obvious when one is bad as I've heard horror stories of them barely hanging on for dear life.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotcha. If sparks ever actually flew you should be able to see a shiny spot like od said. GL.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Well the grinding does go away during right turns with the clutch in. Was not hoping for a $700 problem but I guess a new ls7 clutch is not a bad thing

Quick Reply: Grinding/Vibrating sound during right turns