Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Pulling heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Pulling heads

I installed longtubes a few weeks ago to find that the rear PS bolt was broken off in the head. Crossing my fingers for no leaks didn't work, so now I have to fix it.

I tried cutting a groove in it with a dremel and turning it out with a flathead... no luck. Next I bought a 90* drill and some reverse thread extractor bits and that didn't work either. It just ate the threads off of the extractor bit.

Now I have to pull the head. While it's off I'm wondering if I should pull both heads and have some work done.

I'm NOT wanting to spend a lot of money at this point, and really it's just a daily driver so anything nearing $1000 is out. For $500 or less is there anything worth while? I figured I could at least polish them with a dremel...

Any thoughts?

Also, any tips or tricks for removing heads in these things? It appears to be pretty straight forward with plenty of clearance, unlike F-bodies.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually bought PRC Stage 2.5 heads when I did mine, they were like 1,500. You shouldn't have much problems selling your stock 243 casting heads for around 400 to even 600 bucks depending on the buyer. keep in mind, you're going to need all new head bolts, and gaskets. Removing the heads is fairly easy, IIRC, there was 15 bolts in each head, and I forget how many for the rocker arm bars.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I found this video on youtube to be helpful, but it's of an engine out of the car.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm gonna be doing h/c on my buddies camaro here in a few days, and to be honest, it looks like night and day difference, it's really pretty easy IMO. if you were any closer i'd help but you're the whole way down the dirty south
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see you doing much in the way of performance mods while you've got them off on that budget...

But I definitely would take them both off, and at least have them freshened up. You're already there, and might as well do it while they are off.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lifters!

Buy the whole set, which should be somewhere around $100 and throw those baby's in. Your gonna be really pissed if yours go out later on
Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Convicted1
I can't see you doing much in the way of performance mods while you've got them off on that budget...

But I definitely would take them both off, and at least have them freshened up. You're already there, and might as well do it while they are off.
What exactly do you mean by freshen up? I was planning on some new springs, but otherwise I'm unsure.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get the springs done too. Ls7 lifters, maybe new pushrods, maybe the trunion upgrade on the rockers.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm having trouble getting this fuel line disconnected at the rear of the intake manifold. What's the trick to getting these apart? I've never been able to do it smoothly.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Also looking for recommendations for gaskets.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need this for the fuel lines, i don't know for sure which size right now.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=30885553

for head gaskets, this is what I used:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPGASKAMS_____

i did some research about the permatorqueMLS gaskets before I bought them, and they're highly touted around here. people throwing boost at them and everything.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I installed longtubes a few weeks ago to find that the rear PS bolt was broken off in the head. Crossing my fingers for no leaks didn't work, so now I have to fix it.
My passenger rear bolt is broken off in the head. I have no leaks so I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine was leaking pretty badly
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having trouble getting this fuel line disconnected at the rear of the intake manifold. What's the trick to getting these apart? I've never been able to do it smoothly.
3/8" for the pressure line. I prefer the plastic ones to remove the fuel lines, just push them in slow but with some force, keep pulling the quick connect line toegther at the same time, then slide towards the firewall.. comes off easier than you think. Remember, this line could be pressurized.

As for head work.. i am definitely going to get them 226cc Cncd at AI this winter...
http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...cGMLS2Head.php
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

What exactly do you mean by freshen up? I was planning on some new springs, but otherwise I'm unsure.
Originally Posted by RADEoN
I'd get the springs done too. Ls7 lifters, maybe new pushrods, maybe the trunion upgrade on the rockers.
Pretty much what this guy said....

If it were me... (Which it isn't... And I'm known for being a bit overly ****! LOL)... I'd do the above... Especially the lifters... As well as having the heads stripped down, cleaned up, check the valve seats, and replace the valve seals.

Any reputable machine shop should be able to do those things for you for right around your budget or maybe a bit more.

Again... Probably not necessary... BUT... If I was already halfway there... I'd go ahead and do it.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lifters, trunion upgrade, springs, valve seals, ARP head bolts and stock MLS gaskets. Get a valve spring compressor tool and do it all yourself, pretty simple stuff. Put the valves back in the spots they were removed from.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with 07CTS-V, Lifters, Comp Cam Trunion upgrade, springs, Valve seals, ARP head bolts and stock MLS gaskets, should put you around $500.

I just pulled my heads last week, easy job and gives you a chance to clean up the combustion chamber a bit. You probably already know this but make sure you get some ARP lube and torque in the correct order when re-installing the heads.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

It seems as if I'm replacing all of those things anyway, I might as well get a new bump stick while I'm at it... A tune was already in the plans, so really that'll add, what $300 or so?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, plus engine assembly lube, possibly a timing set, timing cover gasket, 3 jaw puller rental, possibly harmonic balancer if you find a groove worn in yours, then pushrods. Plus, you'll have to pull the radiator and move the AC condensor. I'm not saying don't put a cam in, but, if you do, you might as well buy better heads while you're at it.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is how a $500.00 budget gets blown to hell, and you end up eating power bars for lunch (if that).

MOD HEAVEN.

(It becomes MOD HELL later).

Quick Reply: Pulling heads