Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Screen stays on when ignition is off???? Nightmare shop experience!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Screen stays on when ignition is off???? Nightmare shop experience!!

Hey fellas,
This isn't a personal issue but my buddy who bought my old murdered V is having some issues with it and is in somewhat of a nightmare situation. He recently took it to the shop to have the front bumper replaced and have the hood, front fenders and both bumpers painted to fix some flaws after he hit a piece of a tire on the freeway and damaged the bumper cover. He picked the car up yesterday right as they were closing and didn't get to take a really good look at the car until he left and got it back to his house.

When it went in, everything was working just fine. I owned the car for over 2 years without a single issue like this before he bought it about 4 months ago. When he picked it up, they told him his battery kept dying. He was in a hurry and didn't get a chance to fully inspect everything like i said. When he got home, he started realizing some things such as....

-The car no longer honks when you lock it with the remote like it used to.

-The windows wont auto roll up with one touch anymore

-The screen stays on and radio plays with no key in the ignition

When he looked in his trunk, they apparently pulled the amp for the sub down from where it was mounted and just had it laying on the trunk floor. He says it appears they had moved the sub box around too because all the wiring was moved around. Nothing is missing but why they would have been messing with that stuff is beyond me. That had nothing to do with the paintwork they were doing. Not only are all of these electrical issues popping up but the paintwork is far from perfect. There is still orange peel, some of the previous flaws he paid to have fixed are still there, etc. Just a half *** job IMO after looking at the car myself. I know black shows everything but the work they did was shitty. The car came out looking like a maaco job at best which is ridiculous considering the price he paid.

The shop he is dealing with is Colorize paint and body here in Friendswood, TX which was SUPPOSED to be a reputable shop. Upon going in, the guy talked everything up and said he would do this and do that and the car would be perfect when the work was done. Based on the guys sales pitch, he decided the price was worth it to have the car come out 100% perfect like the guy had promised. He paid $2700 for the work (OEM GM bumper cover cost included) so approximately $2000-$2100 in paintwork alone. Unfortunately, the car is far from perfect in addition to the electrical issues it now has that were not there prior to the visit to their shop. As of this morning, they have agreed to fix the paint flaws (although reluctant to do so and claiming that the money he spent doesn't go far when it comes to paint and body). He left it there considering they have already been paid for the work hoping they will fix it properly before he has to take another course of action against them. As far as electrical issues, they told him to take it to cartoys when they are finished and have them inspect it. If they find it is something the shop did to cause the issues, they will take care of it.

I'm posting here to see if anyone has experienced anything like this as far as the electrical issues are concerned??

There has to be a reason the radio and accessories would remain on after the key is removed whether it is something they did or just a coincidence.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 07-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

If the battery doesn't hold the right charge it will have your car doing a lot of wierd things. So tell him to put a new Battery in and drive it around for a few days.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. Ill tell him to start there. It has an optima red top in it that was installed 4-5 months before i sold it to him so not even a year old. May still be under warranty.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 07-12-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the window thing happens any time the battery is disconnnected for a period of time roll them all the way down then all the way up but hold the button up at the top so it relearns where to stop.

the honk at lock is a setting in the nav. most likely the battery disconnected long enough reset after being off so long
Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Dude I feel like a red headed step child these guy really wanna **** me!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
-The car no longer honks when you lock it with the remote like it used to.

-The windows wont auto roll up with one touch anymore

-The screen stays on and radio plays with no key in the ignition
When the battery dies or is disconnected, you have to relearn the windows. You press and hold it down for about 5-10 seconds and then press and hold them up for the same amount of time. It relearns the auto up\down. Do it for all 4 windows, since the rears have auto down I believe.

The car no longer honking might be because it lost the "driver settings". Go thru the NAV and check and see how its set up in the personalization menu. I know the car honking on lock is an option.

I know that when I'm sitting in my car and I turn it off and remove the key... the radio will stay on until I open the door, and then it will cut off. I don't know much in regards to this though. Maybe another personalization menu?

I paid $300 for a superb paint job on a cts rear bumper. Paid same for my front bumper in my old cts too. I don't see how anyone can pay 2k+. I hope he does get some money back. Sounds overpriced. I can recognize that sometimes you get what you pay for. But thats sometimes. I've seen $300 paintjobs come out spot on perfect, and I've seen 3k paintjobs that weren't primed right from the start. The primer job is normally where everyone ***** it.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting all of that lol I didnt wanna type it..
Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it's possible they had to poke around the trunk for your paint code, btw.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Didn't think about that. I bet that's why they moved the system around. Makes more sense now.

Thanks for the rest of the responses. We will mess with it when he gets it back and see if we can get everything working again using yalls advice and suggestions.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i would tell you to call me but....
Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I would call you but....
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
it's possible they had to poke around the trunk for your paint code, btw.
You are correct, the paint codes are on a sticker in the spare tire well. My buddy advised me of this when he painted my bumpers because he didnt want me thinking he was trying to open the nitrous bottle lol.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I took my bottle out when I dropped mine off at the shop. Those guys had a good enough time just moving it around the lot. Didn't need anyone getting tempted to joy ride it. Lol

Lucky for me they detailed my interior and managed to knock all the finish off the already shitty buttons we have. They said call the dealer, order the new ones and send them the bill. I can't bitch about that! Lol
Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Man I know where im going next time
Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I tried tellin ur impatient and headed headed ***

Quick Reply: Screen stays on when ignition is off???? Nightmare shop experience!!