Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fu@kkkk!! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fu@kkkk!! Help please!

Hey guys,
I recently ordered new buttons, ***** and faceplate for the stock navi unit. I picked up some non-glare lexan from home depot and cut a new piece to fit in place of the stock one.

Anyway, The dealer sends the buttons i ordered and halfway through the job, i realize they sent me one wrong replacement dot button. The 3 on top fit in the face plate different than the 3 on the bottom. They sent me 4 of one type and 2 of the other so i couldn't completely finish the job. I had to leave one old button in there and re-install it until i got the one replacement button from them.

So... Button came in yesterday so this morning i pull the radio again to swap that last button out. I get the unit out, pull the faceplate, get it all apart, fit the new glass in it and replace that button. I start putting everything back together and im ready to put the faceplate back on. Everything's going great.

As i go to plug the little side plugs connected to the circuit boards on the faceplate back into the circuit board on the navi unit before i snap it all down, it FU@KIN SNAPPED RIGHT OFF THE CIRCUIT BOARD!!!

WTF???????????????

What can i do now? Is this repairable or did i just FU@K this unit up completely??

I didn't even push that hard. The little connections are so tiny they are just super fragile. I was being super careful and didn't have an issue the first time. Now this!!!! If only they would have sent me the right buttons the first time! FMMFL!!!

Here are the pics... Please tell me something good guys! Im LIVID right now and gotta figure something out to get the car back together!!

Attached Thumbnails Fu@kkkk!! Help please!-screen-1.jpg   Fu@kkkk!! Help please!-screen-2.jpg   Fu@kkkk!! Help please!-screen-3.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

At this point you may as well break out the soldering iron and give it a try. You wont be any worse off than you are now.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/guides.shtml
Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I thought about that and i might give it a shot but there are 20 tiny little connections in the middle going to different points on the circuit board and then the two bigger ones on the ends that hold it down in place. They are so close together that the odds of getting them all to connect again like they should without the solder getting too messy will be extremely difficult.

Called a good buddy that sold his V over a year ago knowing he put an aftermarket screen in his car and hoping he'd still have his stock navi. Says he thinks its in his storage and if he has it, i can have it so we're about to do lunch and run to his storage. Got my fingers crossed!! FML! What a mess!!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a fine tip for your soldering iron and give it a go.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Just added to my bookmarks. Nice!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Appreciate the link bud! Lots of good info but wow thats an intricate and time consuming procedure.

All of this time and money invested in the shitty stock unit trying to keep the dash nice and uniform to retain all factory capability and i run into this problem at the very last step. Almost wish i would have just dealt with the naked looking dash and spent the $700 on a nice double din deck with ipod capability, dash kit and harness for it all. I don't even need navi since i use my iphone so i'd have a nice unit for that. I would have definitely gone that route knowing what i know now but nothing looks as nice in the dash in this car as the stock unit IMO.

Oh well... I'll just hope this turns out ok. Just stressed because i had other things i needed to take care of today and now this is first priority since my dash is still all ripped apart.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 07-25-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure a computer repair shop might me able to handle it pretty easily too.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Good suggestion. There is a place called EPO that does computer repair close by. Ill try them if we dont have any luck finding his stock navi unit.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or someone that fixes PS3's and/or Xbox's. (might even be the same place)

Lots of little pieces in those when I had to re-fix my PS3
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah... blue ray laser swap in the PS3 twice... no issues with current xbox(knock on wood)!
Good Luck with that!!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The exact same thing happened to me, no need to panic!!

You don't even need to solder the connection necessarily, all you have to do is ensure that those pins are touching the pads on the board. I super glued the connector back onto the board ensuring all the pins were connecting to their corresponding pad and viola everything worked fine!

If you have any concerns, glue the connector down then add a touch of solder on each pin and pad, just be very careful not to eff up the pad as then you will be up a creek!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Good suggestions. Thanks guys! I'll try that if we can't find his stock unit.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you get in a jam, I was NASA certified for micro soldering.

Where I worked I was known as the "Surface mount king".

Problem is you would have to ship it to me.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by etcts-v
The exact same thing happened to me, no need to panic!!

You don't even need to solder the connection necessarily, all you have to do is ensure that those pins are touching the pads on the board. I super glued the connector back onto the board ensuring all the pins were connecting to their corresponding pad and viola everything worked fine!

If you have any concerns, glue the connector down then add a touch of solder on each pin and pad, just be very careful not to eff up the pad as then you will be up a creek!

That makes me feel better! Thanks for the info man!! My only concern is that last line that lifted off the board. I'd have to find a way to carefully lay it back down on the board to make the point touch properly again in the right location
Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by heavymetals
If you get in a jam, I was NASA certified for micro soldering.

Where I worked I was known as the "Surface mount king".

Problem is you would have to ship it to me.
Thanks bud! That's def a last resort considering you're not local but if I don't get anything figured out, I may need to do that.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow man that's shitty... Looks like you got options though... Good luck brotha
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Thanks bud! That's def a last resort considering you're not local but if I don't get anything figured out, I may need to do that.
There was another V owner who did something similar that I fixed for him.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would it help to superglue that plug prior to working on the unit ? I know that doesn't help you after the fact.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I took it to this local place that does computer repairs and the guy said its an easy solder fix. Considering I don't have the fine tip soldering iron nor do I have much experience with it, figured I'd let him fix it. There was one wire that was ripped loose from the board that he said he's gonna fix by replacing it and laying a new one in place. All for $35. Sucks but if it comes out perfect and working again, I'll be happy.

Quick Reply: Fu@kkkk!! Help please!