Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Dyno tune results from 2.6" pulley and 50/50 meth

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno tune results from 2.6" pulley and 50/50 meth

So I took my car into Synergy Motorsports to get tuned after putting a 2.6 pulley on the maggie and adding 50/50 meth. Previously i had done a baseline with just the maggie and a stock 2.8 pulley and magnuson tune on a dynojet and got 452hp/425tq.

Well the results on the dynapack were very different. baselined around 400hp/414tq with the meth and 2.6pulley still on the stock magnuson tune. Rick was able to get another 30hp and 30tq to put me at 430hp.443/tq.

Question #1: i did not realize that these two dynos would read such different numbers. I expected at a minimum to be around 480/450. Also rick's dyno chart only reads up to 6200rpm, not sure why he didn't run it to 6700rpm.

Question #2: should I go back to the dynojet i first got a baseline on to truly see what the appreciable gains were from the mods and tune?

Question #3: rick recommended 100% meth and that he could pull out another 20-30hp, thoughts?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't 100% meth induce detonation? I run meth as a chem intercooler on my diesel and pushing it higher than 49% meth to 51% water will run the risk of inducing premature detonation.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
Wouldn't 100% meth induce detonation? I run meth as a chem intercooler on my diesel and pushing it higher than 49% meth to 51% water will run the risk of inducing premature detonation.
I don't know why it would induce detonation? It is a fuel source just like gas but at a much higher octane (110 or so) so you just have to adjust the timing to account for the extra fuel.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Launching!

I have a 07 with a maggie and put down 451 with stock pulley. I am interested in doing METH but I was told with our style supercharger the numbers arent that great. I'd love to know what the gains are. Did you mount your meth in the trunk or did you use you windshield washer resevoir? And what METH kit did you go with? How complicated was the install? Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't meth corrode the MP112 blades something awful?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What system do you have for meth ? Some are not rated for 100% meth. 80/20 is about the most I would run to keep the advantage of water.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Doesn't meth corrode the MP112 blades something awful?
No, because i have the nozzle far enough away from the throttle body that it atomizes before entering the rotors. many people have run meth on their roots chargers with not issue of damaging the coatings.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GFallen
I have a 07 with a maggie and put down 451 with stock pulley. I am interested in doing METH but I was told with our style supercharger the numbers arent that great. I'd love to know what the gains are. Did you mount your meth in the trunk or did you use you windshield washer resevoir? And what METH kit did you go with? How complicated was the install? Thanks
i used the windshield washer tank as a meth tank because it comes with a low level sensor built in. I am using the cooling mist stage 1 kit i believe. very simple kit, very easy to install. http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...x?pid=cmstage1

Originally Posted by jmargo
What system do you have for meth ? Some are not rated for 100% meth. 80/20 is about the most I would run to keep the advantage of water.
I've read that but i'm not sure why it would make a big difference for the pumps one way or another..
Old 08-05-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Onefast V
I don't know why it would induce detonation? It is a fuel source just like gas but at a much higher octane (110 or so) so you just have to adjust the timing to account for the extra fuel.
After doing some more thinking on the matter, It may have something to do with the 16.8:1 compression ratio that duramaxes run. Entirely possible I don't know that much about running meth on a gas motor.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Onefast V
i used the windshield washer tank as a meth tank because it comes with a low level sensor built in. I am using the cooling mist stage 1 kit i believe. very simple kit, very easy to install.
So what happens when some poor, unsuspecting fool hits the windshield wiper spray button?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running 50/50 will reduce your iats more then 100% meth. It truly depends if you want the meth to reduce heatsoak or use it for the octane. I run 100% meth but I use it mainly for the octane and I get a great drop in iats anyways with the intercooler and Meth. My iats in the intake manifold are ambient or less even In 95 degree heat.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

With the roots style I don't get the same cooling benefits as centrifugal. My iats during the Dyno were in the 120s. I have considered relocating that meth to after the rotors but haven't found a way to do that and be able to get accurate iats.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

I had a meth kit on my E-Force for a few thousand miles. I was only seeing a 10-15 degree drop at 19GPH 50/50 pre rotors.

Last edited by psychobillycaddy; 08-06-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
I had a meth kit on my E-Force for a few thousand miles. I was only seeing a 10-15 degree drop at 19GPH 50/50 pre rotors.
Where were you measuring IATs?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would not tune for meth.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i would not tune for meth.
Tuner insisted that I did as my AFR's were super rich otherwise. This is a weekend car and I understand that the car is now "meth dependent". But there are many other parts that could fail and kill my engine too. Plus if it does.... then I have an excuse to go bigger.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

first thing i would fix is your boost issue.. your basline sheet says it all and why your down on power.. the boost should come on almost immediately and stay there in a strait line on the graph.. maggies usually fall off around 5800 and youll see it lose it breath.. but the way the graph is now it doesnt look like the belt is biting that well.

ill bet if you fix that issue and tune without the meth youll be happier. you can also turn the controller down so its not spraying a crap load of meth to where your afrs are buried rich. use the stuff as a cooling aid...meth dependant is like playing the lottery. i have that experience
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
first thing i would fix is your boost issue.. your basline sheet says it all and why your down on power.. the boost should come on almost immediately and stay there in a strait line on the graph.. maggies usually fall off around 5800 and youll see it lose it breath.. but the way the graph is now it doesnt look like the belt is biting that well.

ill bet if you fix that issue and tune without the meth youll be happier. you can also turn the controller down so its not spraying a crap load of meth to where your afrs are buried rich. use the stuff as a cooling aid...meth dependant is like playing the lottery. i have that experience
I'm running the simplest controller (A relay) it's either on or off, I control the spray by nozzle size. And by baseline which graph are you referring to, the dynapak or dynojet?

Also do you have better belt recommendation or way to improve the belt bite?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude if you have no controller how does the meth come on? there has to be a boost reference so the meth knows when to turn on. i would deff not tune for meth if you dont have a top notch kit thats adjustable. mine has a starting boost point (say 5lbs) and a full blast (say 8) thats comes on progressively. i have since removed it and will not be using meth.

as far as belts go you can go down to the parts store and find the biggest tensioner pulley u can get.. i used the V2 acc tensioner pulley..it helped tighten things up.also try an inch shorter belt.. but i was reffering to the dynojet sheet since its the only graph that shows boost.. boost should come on full and stay in a semi strait line.maggies tend to fall off a lb or two when in the upper rpms cuz they run out of steam.

the waves in the graph show slippage and or something going on with with the bypass valve. check your hoses running from the bypass to the snout for cracks.. make sure the valve is open at idle and closed fully when stomped on.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not get another dyno....it would pretty much be meaningless since they all read differently.

50/50 is standard, most move on to 100% in a short period of time, but that is when sprayed *after* the air has been charged. I would see what happens when incrementally increasing timing with 100% meth on a Maggie. Also, don't worry about 100% meth causing detonation on a gas motor as it can with a diesel, meth and gasoline both have a much lower flash point than diesel.

The very few documented tests that have done spraying before the throttle body on a roots type supercharger have yielded minimal results, usually not worth the price of the installation. I don't know what IAT sensor they were using, but after witnessing the difference between the Maggie supplied LS1 Camaro IAT sensor and the Omega thermistor, I would argue anyone's data that was not using one. The *potential* degradation of the rotor coating has been called into question frequently, although I do not believe there has been any positive proof of this from the Cobra/Lightning or the supercharged 3800 guys.

Also, you can tune for meth with regard to timing (adding timing), DO NOT adjust the VE, MAF, or PE AFR's to compensate. You cannot accurately gauge at what rate the meth is burning using AFR, you must use the Lambda scale to gauge any alcohol content through the combustion process...which the OE OS cannot do.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune results from 2.6" pulley and 50/50 meth