Did anyone notice an increase in cabin noise from a CAI? - LS1TECH

Log In 


Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I)
The Caddy with an Attitude...

Did anyone notice an increase in cabin noise from a CAI?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Teching In
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 36
Default Did anyone notice an increase in cabin noise from a CAI?

I am no doubt in the minority here. I am trying to decrease the noise in the cabin of my 2005 V. The previous owner had some sort of CAI installed, but returned it to what I thought was stock before I purchased it. Upon changing of the air filter I noticed there is a section of the airbox bottom removed (a pie shape about 3-5" or so) and there is no "tubing" prior to the airbox. Just a hole with what looks like used to be some sort of flange. Unfortunately for me, I have become quite sensitive to a noisy cabin and at highway speeds would like to drop the noise as much as possible. So, assume my airbox is some sort of attempt at a CAI, when you guys installed an aftermarket CAI did you notice more engine noise? My guess is yes. Anyone have pics of what the stock box and input pipe should look like? I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks!
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
TECH Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
FuzzyLog1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,726
Default

An aftermarket cold air intake shouldn't increase noise noticeably. If anything, the stock rubber intake tube creates noise.

Frankly, if you're this sensitive to noise, you're driving the wrong type of car. I could understand if you had an aftermarket catback, headers, and a cam, but the stock equipment is very quiet for something in this power range.

Your only alternative, in my opinion, is to spend at least $800 on quality damper and MLV treatment layers. It'll weigh 80+ lbs and it'll take you 10-20 hours to install it correctly. If you want to have it professionally installed, the total cost will be in the thousands.

Edit: just so you know, I put $500 worth of sound dampening gear into my CTS-V and have spent at least a dozen hours tracking down and eliminating rattles and squeaks. So I understand the general desire for a quiet cabin, but the kind of mechanical stress that I'm putting on the car is far greater than whatever you're doing. When I started those mods, I couldn't hold a conversation in the cabin at highway speeds.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 08-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.
FuzzyLog1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Launching!
iTrader: (4)
 
mhhamrhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: eastern, PA
Posts: 243
Default

I've got a Volant on my otherwise stock '04 V. As quiet as stock until you go WOT.
mhhamrhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Teching In
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c View Post
An aftermarket cold air intake shouldn't increase noise noticeably. If anything, the stock rubber intake tube creates noise.

Frankly, if you're this sensitive to noise, you're driving the wrong type of car. I could understand if you had an aftermarket catback, headers, and a cam, but the stock equipment is very quiet for something in this power range.

Your only alternative, in my opinion, is to spend at least $800 on quality damper and MLV treatment layers. It'll weigh 80+ lbs and it'll take you 10-20 hours to install it correctly. If you want to have it professionally installed, the total cost will be in the thousands.

Edit: just so you know, I put $500 worth of sound dampening gear into my CTS-V and have spent at least a dozen hours tracking down and eliminating rattles and squeaks. So I understand the general desire for a quiet cabin, but the kind of mechanical stress that I'm putting on the car is far greater than whatever you're doing. When I started those mods, I couldn't hold a conversation in the cabin at highway speeds.
Yeah, I know its the wrong car. The noise thing wasn't an issue until about 6 months ago. I am not 100% convinced any other car is really going to fix my issues... no problem in the morning, but ear aches on the way home. A medical issue not a car one for sure. Generally speaking it is reasonably quiet, but not compared to my wife's 530 wagon.

Anyway, I appreciate the insight on noise dampening as well. I am trying to do as much as I can before I finally decide to sell the V. I have new tires that are quiet grand touring instead of max performance style. I still have a bit of vibration that I am afraid is a indexed driveshaft that is no longer indexed after the previous owner did a clutch job. I will have the tires rebalanced first. Either way the vibration adds to the general noise.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
TECH Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
FuzzyLog1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
Generally speaking it is reasonably quiet, but not compared to my wife's 530 wagon.
The BMW 530 has an inline 3.0L 6 cylinder engine--it's a touring sedan. You can't compare it to the CTS-V.
FuzzyLog1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Teching In
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c View Post
The BMW 530 has an inline 3.0L 6 cylinder engine--it's a touring sedan. You can't compare it to the CTS-V.
True, but is the V any more than a tarted up CTS? Aren't the 5-series and CTS pseudo competitors?

Anyway, you wouldn't by chance know what a driveshaft that needs re-indexed feels like in terms of vibrations? I seem to remember the vibrations with the last set of tires too. It's not much, feels "tight" (as in a high frequency I guess) and only really comes into play at 60+.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
aurora40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 551
Default

There is more induction noise with a K&N. Also you will have more engine noise with 'vette FRC's, if you don't have the stock Caddy lid. And what tires do you have? You may want to go with some touring stuff vs performance stuff if you want to get rid of any last bit of noise.
aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
TECH Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
FuzzyLog1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
True, but is the V any more than a tarted up CTS? Aren't the 5-series and CTS pseudo competitors?

Anyway, you wouldn't by chance know what a driveshaft that needs re-indexed feels like in terms of vibrations? I seem to remember the vibrations with the last set of tires too. It's not much, feels "tight" (as in a high frequency I guess) and only really comes into play at 60+.
If you're experiencing vibration that gets worse as you get faster, your tires aren't properly balanced, or you have a bent wheel.

Back on the subject of sound... it's my belief that you should be driving a car like this aggressively on a regular basis (like the video below)--otherwise, you just wasted a whole lot of money on a big engine and stiffer suspension that you'll spend even more money trying to quiet and calm down.


Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 08-05-2012 at 05:44 PM.
FuzzyLog1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
DACTARI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 793
Default

It sounds like the previous owner removed the snorkel when he installed his CAI. I doubt that will add to our noise, though. I'm with the others. There are certainly things you can do to reduce noise, like the fluidrampr dampner and sound isolation materials, but it will be a losing battle. I'd this will be a long term issue, recommend you sell the car am buy a bimmer or something.
DACTARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (7)
 
Fuzzy_Wuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 528
Default

in general a cai is louder. not sure about the removed section from yours. but a lot of the "power" is gained from removing restrictions designed to make it quieter. i know lingenfelter open element is louder than stock in the car. (a bonus to me)
Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
TECH Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
FuzzyLog1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy View Post
in general a cai is louder. not sure about the removed section from yours. but a lot of the "power" is gained from removing restrictions designed to make it quieter. i know lingenfelter open element is louder than stock in the car. (a bonus to me)
Noise in this case is caused by turbulent airflow, not less restriction. Replacing that goofy stock intake tube with the accordion-shaped section and internal supports with a less restrictive straight tube promotes laminar airflow. The same goes for that snorkel.

A badly-designed CAI might whistle if you have sharp edges or leaks, but those problems are easily fixed.
FuzzyLog1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
BudRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 2,641
Default

My K&N whistles when I get on the gas, but I would say most of my cabin noise comes from the tires.

Getting a pushrod v8 to behave quietly is something difficult. If your exhaust is stock you'd be best served doing as suggested early on in this thread and lining the floor and doors with sound dampener and noise absorbing foam.
BudRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
Launching!
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 287
Default

My lingenfelter also whistles can be annoying at times but only whistles at certain throttle pressure like 40% ish
xbladr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SLP Power Flo Cat Back Exhaust Interior Noise shizzle24 Generation III External Engine 2 08-08-2016 04:42 PM
Moving to Bowling Green, KY rggbly Midwestern Members 5 03-12-2016 11:04 AM
cabin air filter? speedracer1280 General Maintenance & Repairs 7 04-25-2010 12:03 PM
Trans mount blues...Cause knock!!?? whitedevil Manual Transmission 6 09-02-2007 12:47 AM
did some vette shopping today and WOW NEED2SPEEDLS1 Corvette Performance 8 06-25-2006 10:45 PM


Tags
air, cab, cabin, cadillac, cold, crs, ctsv, eliminate, fast, inside, intake, ls1tech, noise, noises, removing, wistle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.