Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stability control/traction issue???

Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability control/traction issue???

Was driving yesterday and went around a turn to get of the onramp and onto the highway. Stabilitrack kicked in and my rear felt like I blew out a tire jumping all over the place with my steering wheel shaking like crazy. 5 seconds later when I slowed down it was gone. Did it 2 other times since then. Ive had the stability message before as when my back swings out and stuff but I ve never dealt with this weird vibration after it kicked on. Scaring the **** out of me any input would be gratly appreciated. It seems like it only happens when corners are taken sharper putting extra pressure on the rear and setting the car off ballance. If I turn my T/C off will it go away for good???
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like what happened when my steering wheel position sensor went bad. Common problem on all GM vehicles, but easy to replace and pretty cheap. Could also be the yaw sensor under the console, but likely the SPS.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Launching!

For the past couple weeks I've been getting the 'Stabilty System Engaged' screen(or whatever it says?) for no reason at all - it just randomly shows up on the screen, then goes out. Though I could swear I've felt it pulse the brakes on one side of the car a few times. This happens driving straight down a road at steady speed. Time to make a trip to the dealer...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the last...that's exactly what mine did with the SPS went bad. Also did it around turns as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMM
Sounds like what happened when my steering wheel position sensor went bad. Common problem on all GM vehicles, but easy to replace and pretty cheap. Could also be the yaw sensor under the console, but likely the SPS.
agreed.. JCCancer did a writeup on the cadi forums. Lost of labor but better then getting raped at the dealership.

I used to get "stabily system engaged" error code when going over speed bumps. Then when changing my rear brake pads i disconnected the abs sensors, cleaned them with electronic contact cleaner and never got the message again. I never had any abs pulses or anything like, just throwin it out there
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never got the screen just because until this incident. Every time ive encountered the stability system message in the past my rear was slipping on a turn while gunning it or something of the sort but regardless i never felt a weird heavy vibration following the message. i also have gotten it on a real bad beat up road when the car is shaking over all the bumps, and once again yesterday i got the crazy vibration. The car just feels fluid and funky to me idk. And i agree it feels like i get it more on the right turn like that side is pulsating.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also to throw it out there my front brake rotors are worn and the pads are low on them...been procrastinating to change. Could this trigger it more that they are worn out?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

I'd take care of the brakes since you know they need to be changed... Maybe the brake motive deal?? See if that cleans it up and if not then time to do the sps...
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I was gonna hop on that brakemotive deal anyway. I read the cancerj thread and he also mentions right turns which has me convinced its prob that sensor. Only dif is i get violent vibration and he didn't after the engagement of the stability system.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, mines kicked in a hand full of times, thankfully not in the last few months. I'll be doing the brakemotives deal at the end of the month and prolly the sps just for peace of mind..
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I am one of two people who had the yaw sensor be the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stability control/traction issue???