Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Headers & catalytic converters - what's the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers & catalytic converters - what's the scoop?

I know, I know. There are a whole load of threads on the topic of headers; which brand to get, pros and cons, etc etc etc. I've read all those ... Multiple times. That said, I have some questions remaining. Mainly because I HAVE to run catalytic converters with my setup. And I have to continue to pass sniffer (emissions) tests.

So, what's the scoop on running cats with the less expensive brands of headers? I know OBX are available with catalytic converter mid-pipes and I know that Pacesetters do not offer this option. I also know the obvious differences between OBX and PS (stainless vs. mild steel, primary sizes, etc).
What I'm wondering about is the difference or similarity between the two brands in terms of just the headers (OBX's mid pipe excluded). Are they both about the same dimensions? Once installed, does the collector sit in about the same area on each, or is one longer/shorter than the other? If the collectors sit in about the same area, I guess I can have a pipe with cats fab'd up similar to the OBX pipes, to fit the PS headers.
The reason I'm asking is because I think I'd prefer a set of (coated) PS headers and having a catted mid-pipe fab'd up by the installer. The reasons I think I'm leaning this way are a) cost b) PS being N. American made, and c) I'd prefer the smaller primary size since I wont be doing any other big engine mods to justify the larger 1 7/8 primaries (and they're apparent install issues re: steering shaft).
So, fellas. Is anyone running PS headers with cats? If so, can you explain your set up? I'm thinking of using magnaflow "bullet" or "spun" style cats if they'll fit anywhere. Or should I forget about PS and just go with OBX's?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

This may not directly answer your header question but maybe it will help. My son has SLP equal length long tube headers with SLP exhaust and a Loud mouth. He has welded on Magnaflow cats in the y pipe b'/c his car previously had to pass emissions testing. This car passed with no problem after the cats were installed.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wes8398, what state are you in?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Ontario, Canada.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Monday morning bump.
I've got a line on a local guy who'll coat the PC's in and out for me. Still not sure if it'll be possible to fit cats with these headers though.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

You can fit cats, just a little welding and cutting. Have a muffler shop move the socket joints further back in the "cat back" and weld to the headers.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can go with Kooks 1 3/4, they come coated and will bolt right up to the exhaust. They have catted and non-catted mids.
A little pricey but no fabwork and they usually run pretty good deals on them.
Check Maryland Speed...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks but Kooks, SW, etc. are waaay more money than what I'm interested in spending. Hence, my interest in PC or OBX's.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wes8398
Thanks but Kooks, SW, etc. are waaay more money than what I'm interested in spending. Hence, my interest in PC or OBX's.
I guess.
Between headers, cats/mid pipes, jet-hot coating and fab work plus the shipping and running around I figured you would end up pretty close in the long run...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

If that turns out to be the case, I'll be going with the catted OBX headers for ~$750, plus a little fab work to install. No more (fab-ing) than PS, SW, Kooks, or any other brand with a catted mid pipe though; as I imagine all would need the stock cat back to be chopped up a bit to fit the cat pipes in.
The way I see the PS possibility right now is $275 for the headers, $150-$200 for the coating (not jet hot, it's a local guy who's very reputable and giving us a deal because there are a few of us getting things coated at once), and $150 for the spun magnaflow catalytic converters. All other associated costs (install, fab-ing cats/pipes, etc) would also come with any other set of headers I got. Right?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wes8398
If that turns out to be the case, I'll be going with the catted OBX headers for ~$750, plus a little fab work to install. No more (fab-ing) than PS, SW, Kooks, or any other brand with a catted mid pipe though; as I imagine all would need the stock cat back to be chopped up a bit to fit the cat pipes in.
The way I see the PS possibility right now is $275 for the headers, $150-$200 for the coating (not jet hot, it's a local guy who's very reputable and giving us a deal because there are a few of us getting things coated at once), and $150 for the spun magnaflow catalytic converters. All other associated costs (install, fab-ing cats/pipes, etc) would also come with any other set of headers I got. Right?
If you go that way you mentioned, you should be well under in terms of costs.

I don't know about the others but the Kooks will just bolt right up, no fabbing at all. You would pay for install labor if you didn't do it yourself but thats about it. Kooks makes catted and non-catted mids that will either bolt right up to a Corsa or a Stock catback.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO. OBX is a better deal for what you're trying to accomplish. Before labor you're already looking at $675 for the Pacesetters and that doesn't account for the unknown little expenses.

The steering shaft issue is pretty minor in retrospect and you've got the experience from others on the forum that have solved the problem.

A trial fit, a marker, a dent, refit, and a little grind on the steering rack stub's groove to move the steering shaft to sit slightly further back and you're good.

With OBX you can do the install on jackstands.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BudRacing
IMO. OBX is a better deal for what you're trying to accomplish. Before labor you're already looking at $675 for the Pacesetters and that doesn't account for the unknown little expenses.

The steering shaft issue is pretty minor in retrospect and you've got the experience from others on the forum that have solved the problem.

A trial fit, a marker, a dent, refit, and a little grind on the steering rack stub's groove to move the steering shaft to sit slightly further back and you're good.

With OBX you can do the install on jackstands.
Yah, now that I'm adding up all the odds & ends and so on, I'm getting close to being within $100 of the OBX's. I'd pay $100 more just for the stainless, I think. My main turn-off with those is the primary size and the fitment issues though. With my CS engine & trans mounts, is it still likely that I'll have the steering shaft issue? Or was this problem specific to those with OEM engine mounts (or completely hit-or-miss)?
Hell, if I can't make up my mind about headers, maybe I should just forget about 'em and look at an LS7 clutch swap. Although it doesn't show on paper, apparently it's worth about the same (or more) in terms of "seat of the pants" improvement... Hmmmm...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget you've got to get it tuned after all that too...
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

I've got CS motor mounts and a (recently replaced) stock trans mount. My headers needed the fitment items I listed above to make them work. I still would not have gone pacesetters after the fact. The OBX build quality is very nice.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how the Ontario sniffer works, but I've got Kooks and their metallic cats. Guess I can't attest to how these cats work at road speed (say, 100 km/hr), but my car is a bit stinky at idle, so what I'm saying is they may or may not pass your sniffer even with the Kooks setup.

What do they do, just stick a sniffer up the tailpipe and rev the motor a little bit?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Just wanted to express my appreciation for everyone who took the time to chime in here.
I've made the decision to put the idea of headers on the back burner for now, in favour of an LS7 clutch setup. It may not happen all that soon, but I'm definitely going to make my next "big" mod the clutch rather than headers.
At least I'll have this thread (and all the others I've bookmarked) for reference down the road, if/when I revisit this idea.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

If you've got the coin to spare, you'd save some time/money by doing them both at the same time. Just a thought
Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Yeeeeaaaaaa.... That isn't gonna happen. lol
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Wuss

Quick Reply: Headers & catalytic converters - what's the scoop?