Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear Diff Bushing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Diff Bushing.

The tranmission is out of the car and just waiting on the money for the Clutch.
The front diff bushing need to be replace.

Would it be easier to just remove the rear subframe from the car?
or just remove the diff?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The diff does not need to be removed although it does make it easier. What tools are you using to remove and install the bushing?

Support the diff, remove the driveshaft from the diff, remove the 2-21mm bolts that go into the ears of the diff. They don't come all the way out. Then remove the bolt and nut that go through the rear diff bushing. you'll be able to lower the front the diff enough to get some room to work with to get the bushing out. Just be careful if you're using a chisel or airhammer when removing the bushing, I have seen the diff housing crack with a slip of an airhammer.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grifter
The diff does not need to be removed although it does make it easier. What tools are you using to remove and install the bushing?

Support the diff, remove the driveshaft from the diff, remove the 2-21mm bolts that go into the ears of the diff. They don't come all the way out. Then remove the bolt and nut that go through the rear diff bushing. you'll be able to lower the front the diff enough to get some room to work with to get the bushing out. Just be careful if you're using a chisel or airhammer when removing the bushing, I have seen the diff housing crack with a slip of an airhammer.
I'm going to rent the creative-steel tool.

I found this video.
Sound like what you are talking about.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say removing the diff is the easiest.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
I'd say removing the diff is the easiest.
Sound like alot of work but i would like to fix the side cover leak
Remove brakes, half shaft.

Do you need a special alignment tool to reinstall the half shaft?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone17
Sound like alot of work but i would like to fix the side cover leak
Remove brakes, half shaft.

Do you need a special alignment tool to reinstall the half shaft?
By side cover you must mean axel seals? They are not difficult if you have the diff out. You will be better off changing fluid also if you are changing seals.

You need no special tool in order to reinstall the cv shafts.

If it was me I would try to cheat. Remove driveshaft and then put a jack under the diff. Remove all 3 bolts holding in the diff and then lower it with the cv's still installed. Might be able to get it low enough to change the bushings. If this fails then you are just going to have to do what you originally planned and remove the cv's to remove the diff. good luck!

Edit: or rotate the diff downward like that video! that seems it should work to me. as far as seals go you will have to remove the cv's or just add fluid and live with the leak!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone17
I'm going to rent the creative-steel tool.

I found this video.
Sound like what you are talking about.
Yup, that should work just fine. I do not remove the driveshaft rubber though. I guess it would make it easier but you can just unbolt the 3-18mm nuts and pry the drivehshaft off the diff flange. Although I believe the V has a different flange that bolts to the diff with torx bits, correct? I'm not aware of what the Creative Steel tool looks like, is it like the GM tool because that thing works like a charm. I usually have the whole job done within 30 minutes thanks to that tool.

If you're replacing a rear axle seal also then it wouldn't be a bad idea to just remove the whole rear end. You can disassemble the right side knuckle to remove the axle from the diff. They're all 21mm bolts, just mark which one goes where. You don't have to remove the axle nut, just make sure to disconnect the speed sensor. The whole knuckle and axle can be swung out and hang on the e-brake cable. That'll allow you to slide the diff towards the right and out of the car. While it's out I'd replace all the seals; two axle seals and pinion flange seal.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Bushing.